• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England to play only two Tests in India

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
3-ODI series' are a waste of time. 5-and-5 every time, IMO.

Although TBH - how often have England and India ever played 5-Test series'?
England played a 6 Test Series in India in the early 80's and it was the most tedious series ever. India won the First Test and produced 5 absolute featherbed wickets for the rest of the series. Gavaskar got it down to 8 overs an hour at one point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That shouldn't and wouldn't respectively happen again.

Regarding the featherbed-wicket issue - it's one of great annoyance when teams win the opening Test of a series then produce 2 - worse still, 4 or 5 - featherbeds. If you're going to do that, you might as well just play a one-off Test. If you bother organising more than 1 game, use it.

pasag

RTDAS
3-ODI series' are a waste of time. 5-and-5 every time, IMO.

Although TBH - how often have England and India ever played 5-Test series'?
Why are 3 ODI series a waste of time? They give you a good feel for it without overdoing it. I think they're perfect, after all, for me ODI cricket should just be there for a break and distraction from Test cricket, the main event.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shocking really.

2 Tests a joke.

Both side have partial blame though. England behaving poorly with the whole limit to the tour length but Im sure it wasnt them suggesting 7 ODIs.

They should arrive a coule of days earlier and do 3 and 5.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shocking really.

2 Tests a joke.

Both side have partial blame though. England behaving poorly with the whole limit to the tour length but Im sure it wasnt them suggesting 7 ODIs.

They should arrive a coule of days earlier and do 3 and 5.
see.. the second test ends on december 23. So, there seems to be no way to fit in a 3rd test unless the English guys agree to stay in India for Christmas. They will be coming back for the ODIs after the new year, so they had time to fit in as many as they needed....

biased indian

International Coach
So a Boxing Day Test is a traditional part of India's season?

Didn't think so.
Thought Christmas was just a day before Boxing day test....or is it that they cannot celebrate christmas in india while they have no problem doing the same in austrlia or South Africa :)

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
England behaving poorly with the whole limit to the tour length but Im sure it wasnt them suggesting 7 ODIs.
Considering India had to play out a 7 ODI series last time they toured England, the BCCI couldn't have had much choice. Poor form from the Poms here.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Considering India had to play out a 7 ODI series last time they toured England, the BCCI couldn't have had much choice. Poor form from the Poms here.
I think the reason we had 7 ODI's against India was because last time we toured we played 7 ODI's there and also at the time the tour was organised India were against playing twenty20's so we had to play 2 against WI and only 3 ODI's when the ideal would obviously have been 5 and 5 and 1 twenty20 each. Anyway there is a history of compromises on touring agreements between the two side because of different priorities.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, only when they play New Zealand or Bangladesh.
What are you talking about?

They have played plenty of Boxing Day Tests against the West Indies this season and have done so against England, Pakistan, and everybody else who has toured at that time of the year.

I maybe wrong but I think of anytime New Zealand has toured SA at that time of the year since 1991.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
2 tests and 7 ODI's are a joke. I know they need to schedule so they can sell tickets to the Indian market but I myself find ODI's especially boring (the 50 overs not Twenty20) and a few more test matches on the subcontinent would be great experience for us and would produce much more competitive matches seeing as India would own us in ODI's on there own pitches.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
see.. the second test ends on december 23. So, there seems to be no way to fit in a 3rd test unless the English guys agree to stay in India for Christmas. They will be coming back for the ODIs after the new year, so they had time to fit in as many as they needed....
That can't be right. India are playing Pakistan after Christmas, and the Cricinfo article says the England tour is in November-December.

I'd guess it goes something like this...

15 Nov 1st ODI
3 Dec 7th ODI
6-7 Dec 2D warmup
10-14 Dec 1st Test
19-23 Dec 2nd Test

So if you cut a couple of ODIs, you could fit in a Test in early December.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why should that matter?
Because England aren't doing it through their own choice, they're doing it to fit into CA's and CSA's schedules which are based on traditions that go back generations.
Thought Christmas was just a day before Boxing day test....or is it that they cannot celebrate christmas in india while they have no problem doing the same in austrlia or South Africa :)
They don't have no problem with it at all, in fact they'd far prefer never to have to play a Boxing Day Test (and hence spend Xmas away from home) in any country. But as it's a traditional part of tours of both Australia and South Africa they have to lump it when they're touring those countries. India has never had a tradition of Boxing Day Tests, so there's an excuse to want a tour wrapped-up before the Xmas period.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why are 3 ODI series a waste of time? They give you a good feel for it without overdoing it. I think they're perfect, after all, for me ODI cricket should just be there for a break and distraction from Test cricket, the main event.
England played 3 ODIs per home season for 26 years, it's just nowhere near enough if you want meaningful World Cup preparation. For me, all ODIs should be played with a view to building yourself a team for the World Cup, as you know. :)

Chubb

International Regular
Are you sure about that. Common knowledge would say that, but I have not read anything which suggests that.
England wanted a 2020 and five ODIs, but the BCCI wasn't interested in 2020 at the time and asked for 7 ODIs, so England agreed and played 2 2020s against the Windies instead.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That can't be right. India are playing Pakistan after Christmas, and the Cricinfo article says the England tour is in November-December.

I'd guess it goes something like this...

15 Nov 1st ODI
3 Dec 7th ODI
6-7 Dec 2D warmup
10-14 Dec 1st Test
19-23 Dec 2nd Test

So if you cut a couple of ODIs, you could fit in a Test in early December.
Ah... In that case, I stand corrected...... BCCI jerks...... :@