• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Adams

G

Since Paul Adams (frog in a blender) came back into the South Africa test team I can't see why they have left im out all this time. He's the only decent spinner South Africa have and leg-spinners, especially chinamen are hard to come by nowadays. What do you lot think?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well its important now that South Africa do find a good spinner as they look pretty dodgy in the bowling department without the likes of Donald & Pollock (temporarily) missing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well maybe it's a good opportunity for South Africa to actually encourage spinners to make a go of it by providing some pitches which are at least a little conducive to spin. SA won't be able to keep producing fast bowlers.

The West Indies made the same assumption and look where they are now. As it stands, spinners ain't exactly encouraged by the higher ups in selection and SA has a dangerous policy of picking fast bowlers, regardless of how good they are, as long a they're fast. It was once said of West Indian selectors that they would never pick a spinner unless they spun the ball at 90 miles per hour. Well SA are heading the same road and whilst it's mainly working for them, it seem like good selection policy but the reality is different.

Andre

International Regular
its funny Paul Adams was overlooked for youth representative teams because his action was an embarrasment - but he's the best theyve got

James

Cricket Web Owner
I wouldn't even play a spinner in the South African lineup to the honest.

Why bother - their seam attack with Pollock back is strong enough.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's currently leading Wicket Taker in the Super Sport Series...

Test Averages of 31.50 batting and 26.44 bowling make you wonder why he wasn't playing in the Test Series.

Maybe it's because he's 37.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I personally reckon Boje is better than Adams.

davidvegeta24 said:
claude henderson can give it a good rip
Is he not allowed to play for South Africa anymore, since he plays for Lecestershire as a KOLPAK player or summat?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Claude Henderson can give it no more rip than any other fingerspinner - it's just because two of those Tests were on big turners (Adelaide and SCG).
Steve Elworthy - what a tragic demise! Up to 38 he was still such a good bowler! Why, oh why, wasn't he in the WC2003 frame?
Paul Adams - another terrible waste of a marvellous talent.
More Guests - more poor grammar and punctuation from our esteemed Vice-Administrator - another thread with our esteemed Administrator reminding us of how much his presence on the forums is missed. Ah, James, I know you've got a lot to be doing with the rest of the site - but still... :cool:

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Claude Henderson can give it no more rip than any other fingerspinner - it's just because two of those Tests were on big turners (Adelaide and SCG).
Steve Elworthy - what a tragic demise! Up to 38 he was still such a good bowler! Why, oh why, wasn't he in the WC2003 frame?
More Guests - more poor grammer and punctuation from our esteemed Vice-Administrator - another thread with our esteemed Administrator reminding us of how much his presence on the forums is missed. Ah, James, I know you've got a lot to be doing with the rest of the site - but still... :cool:
Grammar, man.

If you're going to correct people, at least don't make a tit of yourself in t'process..

Craig

World Traveller
I've always rated Nicky Boje, I thought he was a good finger spinner and a good lower order batsman and can move up the order as a pinch hitter for South Africa and be successfull as well.

Andre

International Regular
Richard said:
More Guests - more poor grammar and punctuation from our esteemed Vice-Administrator - another thread with our esteemed Administrator reminding us of how much his presence on the forums is missed. Ah, James, I know you've got a lot to be doing with the rest of the site - but still... :cool:
It was 2 over years ago... I was 15.

shaka

International Regular
If the SA selectors had to choose between Nicky Boje and Paul Adams, the decision would easily be Boje because of his batting ability, although Adams can bat a little bit.

I still like Adams to be in the side, but i do not see how, unless they have two spinners. This would be out of the usual considering SA normally has a pace heavy attack.

SA doesn't need any more spinners. Terry Jenner's deterioration over the latter part of his career proves that slow bowling is just that... SLOW. Any decent batsman can hit a slow ball over the fence no matter how many fancy tricks the slow bowler pulls. Warne got most of his wickets because his victims simply CAN'T BAT. Any clown with half an **** cheek left in his pants can see that!