• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's commentators

bond21

Banned
So I was listening to the NZ commentary on the NZ vs England game on Fox and I honestly could not tell the difference between Martin Crowe, Ian Smith and Richardson.

They all sound exactly the same, whereas Doull is more distinct.

Anyone else notice this?

99*

International Debutant
So I was listening to the NZ commentary on the NZ vs England game on Fox and I honestly could not tell the difference between Martin Crowe, Ian Smith and Richardson.

Anyone else notice this?
Rigger and Doullie are easy. But yea I often confuse Smith and Crowe, not sure why though, think it might be their bad jokes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Anyone else notice this?
I have no problem distinguishing them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ian Smith is near enough impossible to mistake for someone else for all but the most unperceptive dumbaesses. Martin Crowe is fairly obvious too, and fortunately I don't have to listen to the likes of Richardson and Doull very often.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ian Smith is near enough impossible to mistake for someone else for all but the most unperceptive dumbaesses. Martin Crowe is fairly obvious too, and fortunately I don't have to listen to the likes of Richardson and Doull very often.
Loathe as I am to agree with Richard, I think he's about right there. Smith & Crowe are easily identifiable, but Doull & Rigour seem largely interchangeable.

Best of the lot is Jeremy Coney tho for my money, but he's stuck up here in our Sky's studios. Volts said he's training to be a thespian, but not sure if he was taking the Mickey Bliss or not... :unsure:

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah Coney is great I think he has good chemistry with Charlie colville much better than Craig Spearman who if he was anymore wooden would grow branches. Saying that I would still prefer him to be commentating.

Anyone watching the other night when David Gower told Doull off for saying ":bugger off".

So OTT for me especailly for the channel that aired Ian Botham saying "for F**ks sake" during a pitch analysis a couple of years back & offered no apology.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WTF? Seriously? Which game was that?

"Bugger" is a) hardly a bad word and b) no stranger to Sky Sports, after Jonty Rhodes said "hopefully he (Andrew Hall) will bugger off soon" in 2004.

chalky

International Debutant
I think it was the first ODI Engalnd played at Chester Le Street in 2000, Botham doing the pitch report during a howing gayle kneels down to point to a part of the pitch is struggling to hold the micrphone & do the pitch report the audio pretty bad due to wind aswell, I assume the producer is telling him through his earpeace that he can't be heard properly & suddenly Botham loses his composure lets out a very audiable " For f**ks sake".

The screen cuts back to Gower in the studio who does sheepish laugh talks to the guests in studio then after about 2 mins says "lets try this again" & they go back to Botham who has regained his composure and completes the pitch report.

Rather funny at the time remember there being a little coverage of the incident in the tablids the following day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah? Funny, don't remember that at all, and I watched that game from first second of coverage to last (unlike most in that series, as Mum and Dad had seperated that summer and I only went around Dad's place - where the ONdigital box was - for 2 games in that series, that one and the final), remember spotting Darren Gough walking down some steps in the background and exclaiming "Gooooouuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Maybe that was during the would-be pitch-report. :unsure:

Woodster

International Captain
Jeremy Coney is one of the guys I most like listening to, in terms of all analysts/pundits/commentators. He just talks good common sense without being condescending, lot of time for him.

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah? Funny, don't remember that at all, and I watched that game from first second of coverage to last (unlike most in that series, as Mum and Dad had seperated that summer and I only went around Dad's place - where the ONdigital box was - for 2 games in that series, that one and the final), remember spotting Darren Gough walking down some steps in the background and exclaiming "Gooooouuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Maybe that was during the would-be pitch-report. :unsure:
Can you remember if there was a howling gayle during that match? If there was it is defiantely that match.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how the four Kiwi commentators aren't distinguishable, especially Doull and Crowe who have very distinct voice tones IMO.

Would love to see Jeremy Coney back though, TBH. Pitch reports simply haven't been the same. :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats Coney doing now? Last I heard he's trying to be an actor on stage. Is he doing that still?
He writes a monthly column in the SkySport magazine if you were interested...though am unaware of where hes got to and what hes doing these days.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, it may be confusing in like, the first session of a match you've ever heard them commentate in, but after that anyone with half a brain and decent hearing can tell them apart.