• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke vs Ian Bell - who's better at spin?

Whos better at spin

• Clarke

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Bell

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • equal

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Laurrz

International Debutant
thoughts? i know its pretty random.. but just liked to know what you guys think

coz i think Pup is the better one.. but im not sure if thats my Aussie bias coming out .. because what ive seen v Murali and Kumble Pup has been superb at counter attacking them (vs India in 2004 and vs Lanka in 2007)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I voted Clarke because he bowls spin better than Bell does. Then I realised what the question actually meant but my answer still stands.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Surely Clarke. He is superb against spin. Not that I've seen Bell, but why make the comparison - you haven't even discussed Bell in your first post?

Laurrz

International Debutant
Surely Clarke. He is superb against spin. Not that I've seen Bell, but why make the comparison - you haven't even discussed Bell in your first post?
comparison was for a debate on another forum, just thought with more people in this forum id get a rough idea :)
plus there's always these sort of polls on CW :p

well for Bell, like the earlier poster said, nothing too special about him and spin that i can recall

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If you're looking for another non-sub-continent player that is excellent at playing spin, I reckon its Hayden, otherwise there really isn't too many others that come close to Michael Clarke.

Bell uses his feet well, and has improved, but he's not in the same league.

Laurrz

International Debutant
If you're looking for another non-sub-continent player that is excellent at playing spin, I reckon its Hayden, otherwise there really isn't too many others that come close to Michael Clarke.

Bell uses his feet well, and has improved, but he's not in the same league.
yea agreed - perhaps KP Shiv and Kallis too ..and Fleming who's retired (or will soon)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Actually yes, forgot about KP, he is generally excellent against spin.

Kallis is very good, but I'd say the aforementioned three are better. Don't really have any stats to back that up though.

Laurrz

International Debutant
KP is just scary good against spin (he has murdered the trio of Warne Murali and Kumble AWAY and HOME) which is just unreal... you wouldn't pick it watching him normally ... but that big reach really helps

Laurrz

International Debutant
wow - random

the advertisements relate to what is said on the thread yea? well thats my theory

that screenshot confused me a bit though.. thought it was genuine part of the page lol

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
wow - random

the advertisements relate to what is said on the thread yea? well thats my theory

that screenshot confused me a bit though.. thought it was genuine part of the page lol
Same. :dry:

As for Clarke.vs.Bell, Clarke is undeniably the better player of spin bowling. Indeed, it's one of his main strengths. As some have said, Bell's footwork against the New Zealanders has been nice but he hasn't been able to move across and hit balls drifting in from outside off over mid-on or flat bat balls turning in through cover like Clarke has (both against Murali, IIRC).

A more viable debate would be Clarke.vs.Hayden, Clarke.vs.Pietersen, Clarke.vs.Dravid/Ganguly (left-arm orthodox)/Laxman and so forth...

adharcric

International Coach
How about picking a top 6 to face a great spin combination?

Hayden to open with Sehwag?

How about the middle-order? Clarke and Pietersen are obvious candidates along with some of the quality bats from the subcontinent.

Laurrz

International Debutant
How about picking a top 6 to face a great spin combination?

Hayden to open with Sehwag?

How about the middle-order? Clarke and Pietersen are obvious candidates along with some of the quality bats from the subcontinent.
Hayden
Laxman [yea yea i know.. just couldnt leave anyone else]
Sangakkara+
Tendulkar
Pietersen
Clarke
Ganguly
Pathan

really does make you think how much wonderful players of spin India have.. Dravid unlucky

who are the good tailenders against spin? from the past, i can think of Dizzy Gillespie, damn he was handy with his forward block.. so effective against Kumble and Harbhajan in India..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke comfortably but they both have a tendency to pad up to balls which are pitching and hitting middle peg.....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clarke for me. Bell's a great player of fair-to-middling spin, but sometimes struggles against really first rate stuff. In the 2005 Ashes it literally did seem a man against a boy when he was up against Warne at times & Murali picked him up 5/6 on our tour last year, the other dismissal being a run-out.