• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke vs Ian Bell - who's better at spin?

Whos better at spin

• Clarke

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Bell

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • equal

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clarke very easily. Bell isn't anything special against spin.
Yeah, 1st reply on the thread is precisely what I thought upon reading the title.
the advertisements relate to what is said on the thread yea? well thats my theory
They certainly do. Targeted ads.

Though TBH, I'm not sure how the ad Jono posted was targeted to the thread title. :unsure:

PUBLIC POLLS! :wallbash: Then we can see which ninconpoop voted for Bell.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They certainly do. Targeted ads.

Though TBH, I'm not sure how the ad Jono posted was targeted to the thread title. :unsure:
I thought someone might have mentioned a "flipper", but on reading the thread back I don't think anyone did. Random stuff from our good chums at Google.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How about picking a top 6 to face a great spin combination?

Hayden to open with Sehwag?

How about the middle-order? Clarke and Pietersen are obvious candidates along with some of the quality bats from the subcontinent.
Any line up picked specifically to play spin would always be incomplete without Lara. His batting mastery against spin was astonishingly stupefying. It was almost as if Lara telepathically knew what the bowler was going to bowl (length, direction of spin, amount of flight etc.) but even worse was that even when did seem to have judged wrong, he was still able to play with obvious ease........ Honestly, he is EASILY the best player of spin that I have seen and that is no disrespect to the other great players of spin out there....

Woolmer once told that there are 5 ways to counter spin bowling and only Lara seemed to the one who could use all 5 methods. The others, even the better ones, seemed to have at most 3.......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
on the topic of the poll, Clarke by miles.......

He is the one who looks the most naturally talented against spin. KP and Hayden are good, but it is obvious that they have worked on it... With Clarke, it just seems so natural... So if he can put in the sort of effort that KP and Hayden have, he will become frighteningly good against spin, IMHO.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke is easily one of the best players of spin in the game, his footwork against spin bowling is really a treat to watch, as HB said KP and Hayden aren't naturally good players of spin, its just that they have just worked hard on their technique while batting against spin and they rely a lot more on the sweep shot against spin rather than using their feet like Clarke does, as far as the topic of the thread is concerned then Clarke is easily a better player of spin as compared to Bell, with all due respect to Bell, its really a no-contest.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yep, i remember Harsha Bogle during Australia's tour of India.. Pups debut.. called him twinkletoes and referred to him as having lightning fast feet..iidr he noted it very quickly..

during the summer against Murali Harbhajan and Kumble he was a treat to watch, and i recn he tackles spin the old fashioned way.. very nice to watch

ps. apologise for the mismatch in poll lol.. guess i was right to say it was fair to point out pup is better than bell at spin :) (somewhere else) so ty for proving that all

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing that's so unusual about Clarke and his footwork to spinners is that he's so quick he can spot the length of a ball then go down the wicket and still get a good 2 or 3 paces down before it pitches. Mostly, use of feet to spinners is pre-meditated. When I first heard of Clarke's regularity of using feet to the spinners I presumed it'd be a weakness, as it is for near enough any batsman who uses his feet too often. After watching him bat against spinners for the first time (didn't happen until 2005, because he didn't last long enough against the seamers in 2004/05
) it became clearer that he has a pretty rare gift. Brian Lara had it too, of course. They say Alvin Kallicharran did as well, as he was another of the greatest players of spin you'll see.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Any line up picked specifically to play spin would always be incomplete without Lara. His batting mastery against spin was astonishingly stupefying. It was almost as if Lara telepathically knew what the bowler was going to bowl (length, direction of spin, amount of flight etc.) but even worse was that even when did seem to have judged wrong, he was still able to play with obvious ease........ Honestly, he is EASILY the best player of spin that I have seen and that is no disrespect to the other great players of spin out there....

Woolmer once told that there are 5 ways to counter spin bowling and only Lara seemed to the one who could use all 5 methods. The others, even the better ones, seemed to have at most 3.......
You're right (Murali will testify to that) but Lara's retired Honest, otherwise we may as well throw in players from the 50s and so on.

Btw, you saying "Honestly" in your post made me chuckle :D

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That Mike Gatting was damn good against spin. And as for that Frank Woolley, well, he was a nonpareil.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A current top order against spin might be:
  1. Hayden
  2. Sehwag
  3. Sangakarra
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Clarke
  6. KP

Would give even the best spin attack in history some trouble.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Hayden bowls seam up doesn't he? He did in 2001 vs. India anyway.

lol at Warney at slip.. roles reversal..usually Haydos appealing from slip

Australian cricketer Mathew Hayden (L) and teammate Shane Warne appeal for an LBW at Bombay's Vinayak Mane, 22 February 2001, during a three-day warm-up match prior to their three-Test series against India. McGrath raised the stakes for the upcoming series against India, saying 22 February that Indian player Sachin Tendulkar feigned injury to avoid an early confrontation with him.