• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Replace the toss with the bid?

cover drive man

International Captain
Replace The Toss with The Bid
This proposal is currently being studied by The Cricket Committee of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The two captains bid in runs for the right to elect to bat or field first. The team with the higher bid wins the right to elect.

The runs bid are awarded to the opposing side as Bid-Byes.

Bids should be for a minimum of Zero.

Should both captains bid the same number of runs then there will be a coin toss as currently but with the winner forfeiting the runs bid.

Example

Method 1 – closed bids

In a sealed envelope, the captain of Team A Bids 30 runs.

In a sealed envelope, the captain of Team B Bids 10 runs.

The captain of Team A has the right to elect to bat or field.

30 runs are awarded to Team B as bid byes.

If the sealed bids are tied then the coin is tossed. But the winner has the right to elect and the loser receives bid bye runs of the amount of the tied bids.

Method 2 - open auction

To create more theatre bids could be as in an open auction with the umpire asking for bids in jumps of 5 runs.

“Who bids 5 runs?

The captain of Team A raises his hand first.

Then to the captain of Team B the umpire asks: “Do you bid 10 runs?

If the captain of Team B answers “yes” to the captain of Team A the umpire asks: “Do you bid 15 runs?

And so on until a captain declines to bid more.

The winning captain has the right to elect to bat or field and the losing captain’s team receives bid bye runs of the amount of the bid.

Method 2 - open auction – provides more theatre and tension
Just stumbled across this what do we think?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This process awards a team free runs? Am I misunderstanding this? Because if I gather correctly, this is a terrible replacement for a coin toss.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only one thing I'd want the toss replaced with, and that's something that involves cricket skills.

Mr Mxyzptlk

That's a terrible idea. It's a wonder than I'm hardly surprised at all that the ICC is considering it.

cover drive man

International Captain
That's a terrible idea. It's a wonder than I'm hardly surprised at all that the ICC is considering it.
Doesn't sound that bad tbh. Will be quite interesting rather than just a coin toss. Although it could end up like an american sport. Still think it's not a bad idea though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Doesn't sound that bad tbh. Will be quite interesting rather than just a coin toss. Although it could end up like an american sport. Still think it's not a bad idea though.
How is giving away free runs any fairer than a coin toss? Considering that it's a competition between two sides. It imbalances the teams far greater than a coin toss ever could.

I also don't see why any spectator would be interested in it. Most of them don't care much about the coin toss anyway. They just want to see the cricket. This seems like an even more boring event, delaying the start of the cricket.

cover drive man

International Captain
How is giving away free runs any fairer than a coin toss? Considering that it's a competition between two sides. It imbalances the teams far greater than a coin toss ever could.

I also don't see why any spectator would be interested in it. Most of them don't care much about the coin toss anyway. They just want to see the cricket. This seems like an even more boring event, delaying the start of the cricket.
It can give away a bit of info about the opposing team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wikipedia said:
This proposal is currently being studied by The Cricket Committee of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Obviously it is one crackpot's ramblings, but apparently it was one crackpot's ramblings that I$C$C were considering.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Stone, paper, scissors clearly the way to go.

Actually, how much of an advantage is winning the toss anyway? Does anyone know the win/draw/loss ratios for tosses won versus those lost?