• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Replace the toss with the bid?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, how much of an advantage is winning the toss anyway? Does anyone know the win/draw/loss ratios for tosses won versus those lost?
Look it up yourself if you really want to know.

Mind, TBH I'd imagine you'd do well to break it down. 1877-1899, for instance, then maybe a few others based on various countries and the times they started covering their pitches (Australia sometime in the 1950s, England in 1970, etc.).

Certainly since pitches became uniformly covered I'd not imagine it's been an enormous advantage at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Since 2000, teams that have won the toss are (W/L/D) 152-146-89. The difference probably is not statistically significant.

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
Stone, paper, scissors clearly the way to go.

Actually, how much of an advantage is winning the toss anyway? Does anyone know the win/draw/loss ratios for tosses won versus those lost?

Based on all Test matches played up to 27 December, 2006:

Toss result Win Lose Draw Tie
Win toss 34.7% 29.6% 35.6% 0.1%
Lose toss 30.8% 33.6% 35.5% 0.1%

Based on all one-day international matches played up to 27 December, 2006:

Toss result Win Lose Tie No Result
Win toss 49.1% 46.9% 0.9% 0.3%
Lose toss 47.3% 48.7% 0.9% 0.3%

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Hang on... surely the stats for the team losing the toss must be the exact opposite of the team winning the toss.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I kinda like the idea. It has no place in real world cricket, but I think it advantages the captain with the best knowledge to know what the right bid would be and not to under or over bid.

tooextracool

International Coach
I personally prefer the method of just alternating the toss with the captain from the away playing team getting to choose in the first test. Of course this would probably mean that there would be more 4 test series than 3(or even 2 instead), but Im not against that shift either

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Hang on... surely the stats for the team losing the toss must be the exact opposite of the team winning the toss.
:laugh:

Those are probably the worst stats ever compiled, the ODI's don't even add up to 100%, or did they bid on some of those instead of using the toss.:)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think they're being compared to each other in those results though...the percentages are purely for win/loss/draw/etc for those winning the toss, and then the same for those losing the toss. Both add up to 100% horizontally, but not vertically...actually they don't, there's a few percent missing in each one.

Edit: 97.2%....Has anyone seen the other 2.8%? I know at least 2.5 of it was starring in an ad a few years back where an average family had 2.5 children. Sold himself out to the %age sign.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they're being compared to each other in those results though...the percentages are purely for win/loss/draw/etc for those winning the toss, and then the same for those losing the toss. Both add up to 100% horizontally, but not vertically...actually they don't, there's a few percent missing in each one
:laugh:

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
they should stick to the toss, like almost every other sport does. OR if you really want to change it up, have a BOWL OUT to decide who "wins the toss"

I love the concept of bowl outs, and I think it should get use other than in deciding a tied t20 match.