• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your 3rd XI

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh, I like it TBH. Not a patch on Twelfth Night or Othello, but one I enjoyed... though yeah, 'twas when I was about 11 or 12, admittedly. Think I've probably read it again since then, but can't remember when.

ret

International Debutant
ret, there is no domestic cricket sub-forum.

As for discussing this topic, you've been here what, a month, and you're telling us what we should and shouldn't discuss? This is a very high calibre cricket forum, perhaps the highest there is and in-depth analysis into a countries cricket talent will take place. If you don't like it or are not interested, don't visit the thread. Just because you have little idea about the players being talked about, doesn't mean others also don't and don't wish to discuss these things.
what does 'us' mean? i guess everyone is a member here irrespective of whether you are here for x yrs or y months or z days and can give his/her opinion .... does being here for x years give a Ist class upgrade in an airline or something like that? :naughty:

2ndly, discussing 4th or 5th 11 makes little sense, imo, and thats what i m saying and not stoping anyone to discuss this

anyways, how abt a high calibre analysis of 11th eleven of some country :p

pasag

RTDAS
what does 'us' mean? i guess everyone is a member here irrespective of whether you are here for x yrs or y months or z days and can give his/her opinion .... does being here for x years give a Ist class upgrade in an airline or something like that? :naughty:

2ndly, discussing 4th or 5th 11 makes little sense, imo, and thats what i m saying and not stoping anyone to discuss this

anyways, how abt a high calibre analysis of 11th eleven of some country :p
If you feel a topic has little merit, stay out of the thread, simple as.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Tests...

West Indies 1st XI

CH Gayle (c)
DS Smith
RR Sarwan
MN Samuels
S Chanderpaul
DJ Bravo
D Ramdin (wk)
JE Taylor
A Jaggernauth - if only...
CD Collymore
FH Edwards

West Indies 2nd XI

S Chattergoon
A Barath
D Ganga (c)
RS Morton
NO Deonarine
RO Hinds
PA Browne (wk)
D Mohammed
R Rampaul
DBL Powell
JJC Lawson

West Indies 3rd XI

LMP Simmons (wk)
XM Marshall
JAM Haynes
DM Richards
BP Nash (c) - because he's Australian
KA Pollard
DE Bernard
DR Smith
SJ Benn - yes, I'd have him this far down...
NO Miller
DK Butler

West Indies 4th XI

BA Parchment
ACL Richards
TL Lambert (c)
SSJ Brooks
OAC Banks
CS Baugh (wk)
RA Kelly
RR Emrit
EA Crandon
OV Brown
JP Bennett

Probably missing out some very obvious names, mind.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some incredibly economical bowling in the one-day leg. A couple of quality knocks in the first-class comp. Just an average of 38podd though.

jeevan

International 12th Man
For India:

First XI: Jaffer (or Chopra), Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly,Laxman,Dhoni,IK Pathan,Kumble(c),Zaheer, Ishant (or RP, Ishant gets a nod on account of RMF).

Second XI: Chopra(or Jaffer), Gambhir, Rohit (big call?), Yuvraj (c), Badri, Karthik, Praveen,Harbhajan, Chawla, RP (or Ishant), Sree

So third XI is:
Uthappa, Rahane or Shikar Dawan, Kaif, Raina, Tiwary, Parthiv Patel, YK Pathan, Agarkar, Murali Kartik, VRV, Pankaj Singh

This third XI contains five test caps (Kaif, Patel, AA, Kartik, VRV) and 4 more limited overs internationals (Uthappa,Raina, Tiwary,YKP) .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, I'll take a shot at India, I think they can field 3 very good Test XIs.

1st XI
1. Sehwag
2. Jaffer
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Ganguly
6. Laxman
7. Dhoni (wk)
8. Kumble
9. Zaheer Khan
10. RP Singh
11. Ishant Sharma

2nd XI
1. Gambhir
2. Chopra
3. Dinesh Karthik (wk)
4. Parthiv Patel
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Badrinath
7. Kaif
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel

3rd XI
1. Dhawan
2. Rahane
3. Amol Muzumdar
4. Pujara
5. M Tiwary
6. Raina
7. Manhas (wk)
8. Praveen Kumar
9. Piyush Chawla
10. Pankaj Singh
11. VRV Singh

I have probably missed a few, but those three are formidable XIs. I feel that the 3rds could probably give Bangladesh or the West Indies a run for their money.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Okay, here goes. The 1st XI was just the last Test side put out against South Africa for simplicity. Some very random choices in the 5th XI, including a couple of players who have barely played FC cricket. And Saqlain Sajib, who is just a mystery - he's a spinner, I think, with a decent FC record in Bangladesh, but no real details on him. That 5th team could easily lose to an English Minor County any day of the week.

1st XI

Tamim Iqbal
Junaid Siddique
Shahriar Nafees
Mohammad Ashraful
Aftab Ahmed
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim (wk)
Mashrafe Mortaza
Abdur Razzak
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain

2nd XI

Mehrab Hossain jnr
Javed Omar
Rajin Saleh
Habibul Bashar
Nazimuddin
Farhad Reza
Dhiman Ghosh (wk)
Mosharraf Hossain
Mohammad Sharif
Sajidul Islam
Enamul Haque jnr

3rd XI

Imrul Kayash
Jahurul Islam
Raqibul Hasan
Tushar Imran
Alok Kapali
Mahmudullah
Khaled Mashud (wk)
Suhrawadi Shuvo
Dolar Mahmud
Mohammad Shahzada
Ziaur Rahman

4th XI

Gazi Salahuddin
Nafees Iqbal
Nasiruddin Faruque
Marshall Ayub
Ehsanul Haque
Nadif Chowdhury
Saghir Hossain (wk)
Tapash Baisya
Mahbubul Alam
Nabil Samad
Kamrul Islam

5th XI

Imtiaz Hossain
Nazmus Sadat
Anwar Hossain
Naeem Islam
Mithun Ali (wk)
Mahmudul Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahman
Saqlain Sajib
Talha Jubair
Tareq Aziz
Nazmul Hossain

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So how do the Bang 4th/5ths look? Is there any depth or are these guys a league below 1sts/2nds.

As for India. 3rds look strong. Interesting to see Sreesanth in the thirds as statistically he is the best Indian bowler in history. Obviously that doesnt mean much apart from Indian cricket is pretty deep ATM.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Scotland 1st XI

Watts
Poonia
Watson
Coetzer
Hamilton
Brown
Smith
Wright
Blain
Rogers
Nel

2nd XI

Haq
Murray
Sheikh
Hussain
Berrington
Smith
Maiden
Holmes
Weeraratna
Goudie
Lyons

3rd XI

Knox
MacRae
Farid
Chalmers
MacLeod
Dalgleish
Hislop
Mohammed
Legget
Bashir
Redhead

Scotland 4th XI

IDK Young
Gilmour
Flannigan
Cannon
Brand
Stander
Azhar
A'Lee
Carruthers
Anderson
Morton

Most of the 2nd/3rd and 4th X1s are made up of U17/U19/U23/A teams. Would be impressed if anyone has heard of someone who is in the 3rd XI

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
So how do the Bang 4th/5ths look? Is there any depth or are these guys a league below 1sts/2nds.
In some ways, it's very difficult to say. For the most part, the internationals don't play in the domestic championships (although has began to change recently) and when they do, they tend to struggle - with the poor pitches, presumably, especialy with the batsmen. 400 tends to be a massive score and pitches degenerate very quickly, so that it's difficult to judge whether a spinner has bowled well or not.

Conditions also play a huge part. That 4ths side could have put up a fair bit of resistance against, say, the Irish tourists, but would get absolutely hammered abroad. There is also no exposure to proper pace bowling - aside from Mashrafe and Shahadat, everything is military medium - so they'd get destroyed on the county circuit, or even on the minor counties circuit. You'd also find the bowlers in the 4th/5th XIs would be fairly ineffectual and just cannon fodder for decent batsmen. Like I said, I don't even know what Saqlain Sajib bowls.

But yes, in short, the 1st team would be Australia to the 5th team's Zimbabwe.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As for India. 3rds look strong. Interesting to see Sreesanth in the thirds as statistically he is the best Indian bowler in history. Obviously that doesnt mean much apart from Indian cricket is pretty deep ATM.
EDIT: Retracted

Just looking over the teams, he should definately be ahead of Kumar - must have been an oversight. Kumar is quite poor with the old ball imo and he will not be able to always outswing the top order as he does in the Ranji Trophy.

Last edited: