• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick retires from international cricket

Laurrz

International Debutant
Marcus Trescothick, the England and Somerset batsman, has announced his retirement from international cricket.

"I have tried on numerous occasions to make it back to the international stage and it has proved a lot more difficult than I expected," he told the Somerset website. "I want to extend my playing career for as long as possible and I no longer want to put myself through the questions and demands that go with trying to return to the England team.

"I have tried on numerous occasions to make it back to the international stage and it has proved a lot more difficult than I expected. I want to extend my playing career for as long as possible and I no longer want to put myself through the questions and demands that go with trying to return to the England team.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time playing for England, and I am very proud of having been selected for 76 Test matches and over 120 ODIs. It has been great privilege to represent my country and I am grateful to the game of cricket for giving me the opportunity to excel at a sport that I enjoy so much.

"My desire to play cricket is as strong as it ever was. But, due to the problems that I have experienced, travelling abroad has become extremely stressful for me. I now think that it is in the best interests of all concerned that the issue is put to rest so that the England team can concentrate on moving forward, and I can concentrate all my efforts on playing well for Somerset".

Laurrz

International Debutant
wow just looked at his profile and hes only 32..surprising
Tests
5825 runs at 43.79
ODI's
4335 runs at 37.37
impressive

i hated how he batted tbh but he was pretty effective..

Dizzys bitch until 05

one of the shots i'll remember most of him was that cross batted swipe against Warne down the ground at Edgbaston....

tis a shame about his mental state really.. good luck to him with all that

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A shame, but full-marks to him for announcing it now rather than keeping England hanging-on for even longer than it's already been. Especially in ODIs, we can now know the time has come and gone.

Marcus Trescothick is a good lad, and it's a real shame this has happened to him.

pasag

RTDAS
Odds on him signing for the ICL in the coming weeks? :ph34r:

Sad to hear, but inevitable I guess. Always had a bit of hope he'd play for England again, but I think everyone knew it was never going to happen.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sad end to someone who has probably been our best ODI batsman thus far this decade. I think that the greatest complement I can give Trescothick is that he is the only one who constantly frustrated me in my effort to dismiss his prospects in an England test shirt by actually going against all odds and scoring runs. I still consider him to be a flat track bully, but clearly he was a very good one.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Tres for having enough honesty to pull the plug. As an outsider following the developments through the media, it looks to me that the very idea of touring again was upsetting his equilibrium, so I sincerely hope he can go on scoring runs for Somerset & find some happiness with his loved ones.

A very underrated player for me, especially amongst some on this site. Clearly not cut from the classic opener's cloth, but scored some very crucial runs for us over the series & years. Highlights for me are his double ton versus SA at The Oval that allowed us to take the test & tie the series having conceded a mammoth first innings total & his breezy 90 against Oz at Edgbaston in the 2nd test of 2005. A real declaration of intent after our capitulation at Lords.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, not shocking news but sad news all the same. He was truly reliable for us, and in a way I guess it's good for him that he hasn't been a part of our unravelling as a class act that has followed the 05 Ashes win, in which he was a key man despite not making a ton. Fair play Tres,hope you continue to delight the Somerset crowds.

Agree with Brumby on the highlights

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Always liked Trescothick, sad to hear.

Will lose all respect if he goes to ICL though, but he seems pretty damn genuine so I doubt he will.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A very underrated player for me, especially amongst some on this site. Clearly not cut from the classic opener's cloth, but scored some very crucial runs for us over the series & years. Highlights for me are his double ton versus SA at The Oval that allowed us to take the test & tie the series having conceded a mammoth first innings total & his breezy 90 against Oz at Edgbaston in the 2nd test of 2005. A real declaration of intent after our capitulation at Lords.
There's no doubting he's played some excellent Test innings, but in 70 games that's kinda inevitable really. This shouldn't, though, for my money, obscure the fact that he was poor often, especially when the opposition were taking their catches (relatively rare though that was).

While I'm glad of the highlights, I'm never going to rate him as aught but someone who relied heavily upon let-offs to score Test runs. A very, very fine ODI player, though - one of our very best. And until this day I was hoping he might be able to return to the format. Not to be, but a superb ODI career nonetheless.

Yep, Tresco undoubtably benefitted from a tremendous amount of luck, and it wasn't restricted to only dropped chances, LBW's too.

He'd cash in after said let off's, notably in the last Pakistan tour when he was as plumb as you would care to see early on before going on to a big hundred, which from memory included other chances.

Then of course Warne in 05, must have has him that way about 5 times only for Dar to shake his head after imaginary inside edges or ones which only occured after pad first and such like.

Another classic was the biggest ever edge through to a keeper standing up but given not out in a ODI day/nighter in Pakistan off that underrated veteran off spinner that they brought back at that time in around 05. Not sure he went on to score so heavily that time but it ranks as one of the most ridiculous clearly bad decisions I've seen and definately sums up Trecothicks fortune.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Yep, Tresco undoubtably benefitted from a tremendous amount of luck, and it wasn't restricted to only dropped chances, LBW's too.

He'd cash in after said let off's, notably in the last Pakistan tour when he was as plumb as you would care to see early on before going on to a big hundred, which from memory included other chances.

Then of course Warne in 05, must have has him that way about 5 times only for Dar to shake his head after imaginary inside edges or ones which only occured after pad first and such like.

Another classic was the biggest ever edge through to a keeper standing up but given not out in a ODI day/nighter in Pakistan off that underrated veteran off spinner that they brought back at that time in around 05. Not sure he went on to score so heavily that time but it ranks as one of the most ridiculous clearly bad decisions I've seen and definately sums up Trecothicks fortune.
Haha, been a while.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best opener for mine since Gooch by a long way. The luck stuff is of course nonsense, an attacking batsman will get that, its the pressure he puts on bowlers and fielders alike. Happens to every opener too, whats Cook and Keys FCA, 12.31 apiece. All part of going in against the best bowlers with the hard ball.

Miss him massively, England and myself. Great shame how it all ended.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Haha, been a while.
hey?

Funny, I didn't spot it 1st time. Would've done this time though, if you hadn't beaten me to it. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best opener for mine since Gooch by a long way.
Bull****, frankly. Anyone who rates Trescothick as a better Test opening batsman than Atherton simply doesn't understand the game of cricket.
The luck stuff is of course nonsense
No, nonsense is the pretence that luck doesn't exist which some bizarrely-minded people have.
an attacking batsman will get that, its the pressure he puts on bowlers and fielders alike. Happens to every opener too, whats Cook and Keys FCA, 12.31 apiece. All part of going in against the best bowlers with the hard ball.
Err, OK, first you say "attacking" batsmen will get more luck (which is bull****, of course, any fool who's actually looked at the matter rather than judging on face-value will spot that) then you come-up with 2 "defensive" batsmen who have indeed had a fair amount of luck, if not quite as much as Trescothick.

Cook, incidentally, even if you take away the effect of his good fortune has so far accomplished far more than Trescothick had at a similar stage of his career. Far, far more.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, really - that's like having a different opinion and being of the opinion that Vivian Richards was a better batsman than Don Bradman. It's just ludicrous, there's no sensible method in it whatsoever, absurd attraction to strokeplay is the only possible methodology.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
No, really - that's like having a different opinion and being of the opinion that Vivian Richards was a better batsman than Don Bradman. It's just ludicrous, there's no sensible method in it whatsoever, absurd attraction to strokeplay is the only possible methodology.
:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Bull****, frankly. Anyone who rates Trescothick as a better Test opening batsman than Atherton simply doesn't understand the game of cricket.

No, nonsense is the pretence that luck doesn't exist which some bizarrely-minded people have.

Err, OK, first you say "attacking" batsmen will get more luck (which is bull****, of course, any fool who's actually looked at the matter rather than judging on face-value will spot that) then you come-up with 2 "defensive" batsmen who have indeed had a fair amount of luck, if not quite as much as Trescothick.

Cook, incidentally, even if you take away the effect of his good fortune has so far accomplished far more than Trescothick had at a similar stage of his career. Far, far more.
Regressing much?