• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick retires from international cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But you can't just judge a batsman on centuries, especially in the shorter game.

Knight's consistency was better than Trescothick's. Much better in fact.

BTW, out of Trescothick's 10 centuries against ODI-class teams, 4 came in victories (3 of these in a row against Zimbabwe, Pakistan and South Africa in 2002/03 and 2003).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wow. I only just heard about this, and I'm absolutely gutted by it. Tresco is one of my all-time favourite players. I went through the majority of my teenage years as an opening batsman with technical issues much the same as his, and he was always the man I endeavoured to model my game on.

A model professional, a fantastic batsman, and a fantastic human being whom I have had the good fortune to meet on three occasions. I can only hope that his Somerset career will continue for many years yet - there are not many batsmen I enjoy watching more.

It's horrifically sad that an illness such as the one he's contracted has led to the premature end of his career. One can only sympathise with him and hope that one day he'll be in a position to make the most of his talents once again. Thanks for the memories, Tresco.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Not exactly hugely surprised given his issues but still very sad to see him retire from international cricket. One of my favourite players outside of New Zealand so its a shame I never got to see him play in an international live at the ground. Just hoping he enjoys the remainder of his career playing for Somerset and continues scoring runs and displaying his talent at county level.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Was a big fan of his no-frills batting as well. He definitely should have inspired a number of guys with faulty techniques that it is not the be all and end all in international cricket batting. :)

Lost a lot of respect for him as a person with his stupid comments about India and facilities in the sub-continent, but I guess it was the effect of whatever his stress related illness was...... Really sad to see a premature end to what was shaping up to be a very notable career.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Always liked Trescothick, sad to hear.

Will lose all respect if he goes to ICL though, but he seems pretty damn genuine so I doubt he will.
He couldn't even go abroad with Somerset so that is extremely unlikely.

It's sad news in more ways than one. Firstly, because English Cricket and International Cricket will be a poorer place without him as he was a really good batsman to watch on his day. Secondly, after a long battle, his mental issues have gotten the better of him and have prevented him in playing the sport he loves.

I think that's the biggest tragedy that's come out of the story. I sincerely hope that Marcus recovers from his mental and emotional issues and can live the rest of his life with good mental health and peace of mind.
He's still playing for Somerset....

If you honestly believe that Fairbrother is a better player than Trescothick then you are from a different planet to anyone else. Fairbrother was a decent player no doubt, but his record flatters him and he is quite frankly overrated by many on this forum. Few people have the sort of 50/100 conversion rate that Marcus Trescothick had, and fewer yet are able to pace their innings as well as he could.

From the players Ive watched,mine would probably be something along these lines:

Knight>Hick>Trescothick>Smith>Fairbrother
It's taken you this long to realise??!?!!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reading, tres' book for the first time, yeah I know, should have done it years ago.

So thought I'd re-read a few of the threads at the time, mainly to see if I'd said anything cretinous, gosh I wish I hadn't. I remember thinking certain peoples banging on about his own skewed notions in a retirement thread was crass, but reading what Banger had to go through in his last year or so in Test cricket makes it seem ten-times worse.

He does mention stuff posted on interweb blogs too, in the book.

Last edited:

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I always dreamed of being a pro cricketer and playing Test matches and traveling all over the world, alas. However when I see the intensity of the life that the players, today, have to deal with I for one don't envy any of them and I don't think I would be able to cope with it. When Tresco's condition became public knowledge there were many old pros (and fans) queuing up to tell us he should 'pull himself together', 'he's lucky to be getting paid for playing cricket', 'young men died in the trenches etc.' I think there will be more of this in the times ahead. Tresco and Trott are not weak for accepting the desperate corner they feel backed into but courageous for baring their souls to all and sundry. Tresco seems ok now, I have seen him play for Somerset since his international retirement and he has the look of a settled and happier man. Trott has a long road ahead but I hope and pray he pulls through it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Reading, tres' book for the first time, yeah I know, should have done it years ago.

So thought I'd re-read a few of the threads at the time, mainly to see if I'd said anything cretinous, gosh I wish I hadn't. I remember thinking certain peoples banging on about his own skewed notions in a retirement thread was crass, but reading what Banger had to go through in his last year or so in Test cricket makes it seem ten-times worse.

He does mention stuff posted on interweb blogs too, in the book.
I remember being more than a touch harsh at the time. I do still believe that the whole issue was handled miserably. There wasn't enough openness (and still isn't to this day. The old "stress related illness" cop out is still getting rolled out in cases like Trott's) and the planning of his attempted comeback for the 06/07 Ashes was naive and misguided at best. In hindsight it seems terrible to concentrate on that when the bloke was clearly suffering, though.

The way Trescothick has handled himself since has been magnificent. His book really helped bring a greater understanding and sympathy of mental illness to those with little experience of mental illness. It really opened the minds of several of my friends. The way Trott was apparently able to manage his condition for several years seems to suggest that lessons have been learned and there's a greater structure for this sort of thing within the England set up. And much of that will be down to Tres. Unfortunately for Trott, these things tend to catch up with you eventually.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember being more than a touch harsh at the time. I do still believe that the whole issue was handled miserably. There wasn't enough openness (and still isn't to this day. The old "stress related illness" cop out is still getting rolled out in cases like Trott's) and the planning of his attempted comeback for the 06/07 Ashes was naive and misguided at best. In hindsight it seems terrible to concentrate on that when the bloke was clearly suffering, though.

The way Trescothick has handled himself since has been magnificent. His book really helped bring a greater understanding and sympathy of mental illness to those with little experience of mental illness. It really opened the minds of several of my friends. The way Trott was apparently able to manage his condition for several years seems to suggest that lessons have been learned and there's a greater structure for this sort of thing within the England set up. And much of that will be down to Tres. Unfortunately for Trott, these things tend to catch up with you eventually.
Well he admitted in the book he made mistakes, particularly in the Sky Interview. Yet it was clear really he was in denial himself, it really is hard to admit your not mentally well. He also says that before he had it himself, he too wasn't really understanding of depression, and not wanting to play for England.

It's an honest book, and TBH not self-pitying at all, which is what I feared and why I haven't read it until now. TI do think the situation will help everyone to understand Trott's situation more.

I think you get less crass comments as time goes by, about these things, which can only be good. I was slightly annoyed he spelt citaloprom wrong though. Yet pretty amazing he scored his last Test ton whilst on it.