• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick retires from international cricket

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really IMO, might be to do with the fact he rarely moved his feet but his straight-drives and cut shots were to die for.
Spent most of his career opening with Vaughan, and it may be an unfair comparison, but looked a peasent to Vaughan's elegance. Certainly anything but an attractive batsman. One shot here and there, maybe, but certainly not an allround elegant player.

Craig

World Traveller
I'd say he would of been more likely to have joined the ICL if he had retired from cricket. Or should that be "retired"?

masterblaster

International Captain
I'm leaning towards Nick Knight and Graeme Hick for that gong TBH.
Nick Knight was a terrific ODI batsman and I think he'd still hold the mantle as being England's best ODI batsman in modern times with Trescothick coming in second.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nick Knight was a terrific ODI batsman and I think he'd still hold the mantle as being England's best ODI batsman in modern times with Trescothick coming in second.
Knight > Hick > Fairbrother > Trescothick, for mine. All superb ODI players though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No such thing as a half chance ? Will disagree strongly with you there.
To say most dropped chances off Tres were easy ones is rather a large generalisation and guess!
It's not though, TBH, I remember near enough all of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
oh you know.

just silly little things like comparing the difference in quality between viv and don, and athers and banger.

:happy:
I didn't, though. I said the reasons for considering one better than the other can only be the same, utterly silly, ones. I never once said the difference is comparable. Atherton is clearly better than Trescothick; Bradman is clearly light-years ahead of Richards.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Trescothick was the perfect example of a guy who knew his game. It was really interesting watching bowlers try to get him out because Tresco knew that his greatest strength was his driving through the off side. But, he was often very lazy in playing it, and striding straight up the pitch with his front foot to give himself room to throw the bat at it, rather than put your foot in line with the ball to play a textbook shot.

cover drive man

International Captain
Always loved Tresco's ability to pay strong attention to every technicality. Flintoff said in his book that he would spend ages paying attention to detail, have to admire that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny if so, for one so relatively technically poor, how much attention he paid to it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Knight > Hick > Fairbrother > Trescothick, for mine. All superb ODI players though.
If you honestly believe that Fairbrother is a better player than Trescothick then you are from a different planet to anyone else. Fairbrother was a decent player no doubt, but his record flatters him and he is quite frankly overrated by many on this forum. Few people have the sort of 50/100 conversion rate that Marcus Trescothick had, and fewer yet are able to pace their innings as well as he could.

From the players Ive watched,mine would probably be something along these lines:

Knight>Hick>Trescothick>Smith>Fairbrother

tooextracool

International Coach
I didn't think he had played so many tests, he did so much in such a short time. Was a very ugly batsman, but a fine one. Even though Cook is a much better player, he did serve his country well.
Cook is? He may very well end up so given the age, but at the moment his technique is as ugly if not even more so than Trescothick's ever was. His test match average, is actually not much better and his run scoring ability on seamer friendly pitches is even worse.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One of my favorite English players. Sad to see him go. Oh He is better than Knight, smith, Fairbrother as an ODI batsman.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
knight, hick and fairbrother combined made one less ODI century than trescothick. :blink:

how many of banger's 100's ended in an england defeat in the short format? i seem to remember him having a rather unenviable track record in regards to this.