• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your All Time XI'S test/one day

Outside Edge

Cricket Spectator
hello all this is my first post and I am interested to see who makes everyones all time Test XI and International One Day XI.

ret

International Debutant
there are so many gems that most all-time world 11 would look gr8 .... though it's sad to see that guys like George Headley hardly make it to most ppl's all time 11

George Headley

anyways, first

Ind's all-time X1

ODIs [from those who hv played at least 50 ODIs]

- Tendulkar & Ganguly
- Navjot Sidhu
- Dravid
- Azhar
- Dhoni
- Kapil
- Shastri
- Kumble
- Zaheer
- Srinath

Tests [from those who have played at least 20 tests]

- Gavaskar and Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Vishwanath
- Amarnath [avg 50+ against WI]
- Dhoni
- Kapil
- Srinath
- Zaheer
- Chandra / Kumble

the world's all time 11 is coming soon ....

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
All time SL test XI
------------------------

Marvan Atapattu
Asanka Gurusinghe
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardane
Arjuna Ranatunga (c)
Hashan Tillekaratne
Ravi Ratnayake
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga
Muralitharan

Brendon Kuruppu (wk), Sidat Wettamuni, Romesh Ratnayake and Roy Dias are unlucky to miss out.

All time SL ODI XI
------------------------

Sanath Jayasuriya
Romesh Kaluwitharana (wk)
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardane
Arjuna Ranatunga (c)
Roshan Mahanama
Farveez Maharoof
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga
Muralitharan

TM Dilshan, Asanka Gurusinghe, Ruwan Kalpage, Champaka Ramanayake and Rumesh Ratnayake are unlucky to miss out

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India Test XI:

1. Merchant
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Vijay Hazare
  6. Syed Kirmani
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Anil Kumble
  9. Mohammad Nissar
  10. Amar Singh
  11. Bishan Bedi/Subhash Gupte

Gupte outside the subcontinent, and Bedi inside the subcontient or on spinning wickets.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
India Test XI:

1. Merchant
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Mohinder Amarnath
  6. Syed Kirmani
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Anil Kumble
  9. Mohammad Nissar
  10. Amar Singh
  11. Bishan Bedi/Subhash Gupte

Gupte outside the subcontinent, and Bedi inside the subcontient or on spinning wickets.
heard vaguly abt Amar Singh and Md Nissar .... Merchant was one of the gr8 but don't know if he has played more tests .... C K Naidu would be a regular fixture in any all time X1, if we were to go by the legend

why not make a X1 from those who have played like 20 tests

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All Time World XI:

1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Garry Sobers
  6. Vivian Richards
  7. Adam Gilchrist
  8. Imran Khan/Keith Miller
  9. Shane Warne
  10. Malcom Marshall
  11. Glenn McGrath

You've got an amazing top five that'll put up huge scores. Your next two can also score big but can also hit 200 from 100 balls or bail the top order out. Imran Khan and Keith MIller are more than adequete as the bowling all rounder.

You have a batting lineup of Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Tendulkar, Sobers, Richards, Gilchrist....try getting them out twice. And for bowling you'll have Marshall, McGrath, Khan and Warne, with Sobers only bowling for changeup/as needed.

I could also have Barnes in there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
why not make a X1 from those who have played like 20 tests
Because I think this is a better XI. Only one I left out that I wanted is Hazare...I really wanted to pick him. In fact, I'm going to go change my mind and pick him.

ret

International Debutant
Because I think this is a better XI. Only one I left out that I wanted is Hazare...I really wanted to pick him. In fact, I'm going to go change my mind and pick him.
Hazare was legendry too ... and why not C K Naidu?

did a search on Amar Singh and found the one below

Amar Singh

if he is the one in your 11 then I don't know how you picked him .... 7 games, 28 wkts .... is there a footage to see how good he was in those 7 games? .... and we don't know how consistent he would hv been if he had played more games, he might just hv had a few good games and i don't see any 10 wkts haul by him in a game

pasag

RTDAS
Today's Australian XI, off the top of my head:

Ponsford
Trumper
Bradman
Chappell
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lindwall
O'Reilly
Lillee

Always find the bowling difficult with McGrath, Davidson and Spofforth missing out this time, next time it could be something totally different.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hazare was legendry too ... and why not C K Naidu?

did a search on Amar Singh and found the one below

Amar Singh

if he is the one in your 11 then I don't know how you picked him .... 7 games, 28 wkts .... is there a footage to see how good he was in those 7 games? .... and we don't know how consistent he would hv been if he had played more games, he might just hv had a few good games and i don't see any 10 wkts haul in a game by him as well!!!!
For old Indian players, it is impossible to go by Test stats. They never got the chance to play enough Tests. I am going by what he did in England and the views of contemporaries. Obviously, I'd rather have the performances at the Test level to back it up, but in the case of Indian pace bowling, there are scarce pickings. Len Hutton once said that 'there is no better bowler in the world than Amar Singh', and that's really good enough for me. Many English players like Hammond were also very complimentary.

His first class stats for 1932 domestic season in England included 111 wickets at 20. And his overall FC stats (keeping in mind the relatively weak Indian FC structure at the time) are even better: a bowling average of 18 from 92 matches with over five hundred wickets. But he had fantastic success in England too, which didn't have a weak domestic competition. To lead the charts with so many good players around in England at the time is quite the accomplishment.

ret

International Debutant
and tell us something abt Md Nissar as well .... i saw on cricinfo that he has played 6 games and has 28 wkts

Md Nissar

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
and tell us something abt Md Nissar as well .... i saw on cricinfo that he has played 6 games and has 28 wkts

Md Nissar
He was possibly better than Amar Singh - he was certainly faster. His FC record is also superior to Amar Singh and together, they really were the stars of the Indian team when it first got Test status. Nayudu claimed he was faster than even Larwood, though that was probably just an exaggeration, it was still the case that many of the great batsman of the time were beaten for sheer pace when facing him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He was possibly better than Amar Singh - he was certainly faster. His FC record is also superior to Amar Singh and together, they really were the stars of the Indian team when it first got Test status. Nayudu claimed he was faster than even Larwood, though that was probably just an exaggeration, it was still the case that many of the great batsman of the time were beaten for sheer pace when facing him.
I have a great photo of him somewhere with the off stump cartwheeling. Ill look for it.

He was certainly rapid.

sideshowtim

Banned
Test

Ponsford
Hayden
Ponting
Bradman
G. Chappell
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
O'Reilly
Lillee
McGrath

ODI

Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Jones
S Waugh
Symonds
Bevan
Warne
Lillee
Lee
McGrath

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Today's Australian XI, off the top of my head:

Ponsford
Trumper
Bradman
Chappell
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lindwall
O'Reilly
Lillee

Always find the bowling difficult with McGrath, Davidson and Spofforth missing out this time, next time it could be something totally different.
Tough to not have McGrath, but I guess you can argue Lindwall's batting ability to displace the other fast bowlers?

sideshowtim

Banned
Any reason why you'd have Ponting at 3 ahead of Bradman?
I think Bradman is that much of a freak that he could bat wherever he wanted and still be remarkably effective. I think 3 is a spot Ponting feels the most comfortable in and would score the most runs from...While I think Bradman is such a freak of nature that he would just score a truck load of runs from wherever....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The minute after I posted that I figured it'd be your answers. Makes sense, although personally I'd want Bradman being out there as soon as possible short of opening, particularly in the scenario of the All-time World XI taking on another similarly matched XI.

ret

International Debutant
will make my world 11 based on the following

- those who played in the last few decades say from 1970 onwards
- those who can be accomodated in both Tests and ODIs

so below is my world 11, i.e. a common one for both tests and ODIs

- Greenidge, Haynes, Lara
- Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist
- Marshall, Warne, Hadlee, Lillee

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
will make my world 11 based on the following

- those who played in the last few decades say from 1970 onwards
- those who can be accomodated in both Tests and ODIs

so below is my world 11, i.e. a common one for both tests and ODIs

- Greenidge, Haynes, Lara
- Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist
- Marshall, Warne, Hadlee, Lillee
I quite like that idea of picking a combined Test and OD XI. Like they had a tour organised and had to pick 11 players that gave them the best chance in both forms.

Though given the criteria, its hard to see how Sobers makes it.