• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your All Time XI'S test/one day

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Not only on this website, that has been the recent trend more or less everywhere....McGrath is a special talent no doubt but he is more of a robot kind of bowler...coming in and pitching the ball on the spot every time, and getting the outside edge...yes it requires tremendous skill to have that control to keep bowling there..but when I pick my greatest team...I would always go for someone like Marshall or Wasim who are more naturally talented, who have more versatility to their bowling, though they might not be as consistent and ultimately end up with lesser wickets than McGrath..but they would be always be greater in my books.

Slifer

International Captain
And in Marshalls case (even taking eras and pitches into consideration) his overall record is superior to Mcgrath. Though in the end I do consider both bowlers about equal in terms of all time greatness.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Wouldnt really consider McGrath in my alltime world XI....

You have Curtley Ambrose who was pretty much exactly the same bowler only about 5% better imo plus with more venom (if a little less consistency).
And Richard Hadlee who was a very, very similar style of bowler and of the same quality, plus he could bat.

1.Hutton
2.Hobbs
3.Bradman
4.Tendulkar
5.G Chappell
6.Sobers
7.Gilchrist+
8.Marshall
9.Warne
10.Ambrose
11.Muralitharan

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Bradman
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Chappell
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Marshall
  10. Ambrose
  11. McGrath

Though mine changes every day.

Flem274*

123/5
Can someone explain the logic behind Ambrose over Hadlee? Hadlee IMO is one of the top three bowlers ever. Though TBF you could select anyone in the top 10 and they'll still crush the opposition.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Why don't you guys pick a top 11 and as well, put up their perfect opposition team that would make for a great "World against world" series? I can't pick for the life of me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why don't you guys pick a top 11 and as well, put up their perfect opposition team that would make for a great "World against world" series? I can't pick for the life of me.
  1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Bradman
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Chappell
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Marshall
  10. Ambrose
  11. McGrath

vs.

1. Hutton
  2. Sutcliffe
  3. Richards
  4. Pollock
  5. Headley
  6. Miller
  7. Knott
  8. Hadlee
  9. Warne
  10. Barnes
  11. Trueman

6 Aussies
6 Englishmen
5 West Indians
2 Indians
1 Pakistani
1 New Zealander

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
  1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Bradman
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Chappell
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Marshall
  10. Ambrose
  11. McGrath

vs.

1. Hutton
  2. Sutcliffe
  3. Richards
    [*]Pollock
  4. Headley
  5. Miller
  6. Knott
  7. Hadlee
  8. Warne
  9. Barnes
  10. Trueman

6 Aussies
6 Englishmen
5 West Indians
2 Indians
1 Pakistani
1 New Zealander
Peter, Greame or Shaun?

vs

Matthew Hayden
Barry Richards
Brian Lara
Javed Miandad
Everton Weeks
Kumar Sangakkara
Andrew Flower (wk)
Wasim Akram
Michael Holding
Dennes Lillie
Muralitharan.

This will give any of the above two a run for their money.