• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar recommended Dhoni for captaincy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Early-career batting form? He was a fine opener, had two bad games aginast Akhtar (who still bowled 150kph new ball spells) and was dropped.
Early in his First-Class career. Hence, y'know, the fact I mentioned Ranji games... :mellow:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I agree 100%. Never thought he should have opened in Tests, though he did a good job there for a short time.
Not a fan of makeshift openers being put there but he did do well against Bangladesh, South Africa and England and it is unfair to totally discard that after two bad games.

He shouldn't have opened against Australia in the first two (three?) Tests but when Jaffer was dropped, he should have been recalled. It is unfair to completely disregard two series and a match based on two bad games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I got that, I just got the implication that you thought it had been all downhill from then.
Aha, yes, well no it hasn't, but there's no doubting Karthik did not live-up to his promise - and still hasn't - as a lower-order batsman, an area I feel he has more potential than the top of the order.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Aha, yes, well no it hasn't, but there's no doubting Karthik did not live-up to his promise - and still hasn't - as a lower-order batsman, an area I feel he has more potential than the top of the order.
I don't think that Indian domestic statistics over any period less than three or four seasons can be counted as promise for Test cricket. A few hundreds on flat tracks against 115kph bowlers can askew statistics such as his two hundreds in the 2003/4 season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, but even so how many 19-year-old wicketkeeper-batsmen score consecutive centuries in semi- and final circumstances? Still not a large number I'd bet.

That's promise to me, TBH.