• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What other teams would they make........

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Hogg averages 35 in FC cricket. Yeah Vettori is looking like he will finish as a better batsmen. But he not that far ahead right now. Jayasuriya was No 2 all rounder behind Kallis going by the ranking for most his career. So I wouldn't read too much into the rankings.
Your joking?

Making FC comparisons is useless, as the play in two different countries, one is 26 and started out really young, the other not so.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Your joking?

Making FC comparisons is useless, as the play in two different countries, one is 26 and started out really young, the other not so.
With regard to Jayasuriya yeah, which kind of shows how stupid the ICC all rounder rankings are. Basically until Flintoff came through, he was for some reason the number two all rounder. I'm not sure if they have changed the rating system, but there was a significant preference to batting over bowling. Considering Kallis is still No 1, I doubt that it would have changed much.

The only reason I made FC comparsions is due to fact Hogg only played a handful of Tests. Even taking into account the differences in Australian pitches and Kiwi pitches. Vettori ATM isn't that much further ahead then what Hogg was last season. No doubt Vettori will probably a class above, but ATM he isn't really. End of day I can't see either ever batting at 7 for Australia, as playing as all rounder.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Which teams would have Ryan Sidebottom?
I think most would probably make room for him just now. Australia might prefer Johnson's greater pace & India have Zaheer when he's fit so might not want two (or three with RP Singh) leftie seamers, but everyone else would find a spot, I'm sure.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think most would probably make room for him just now. Australia might prefer Johnson's greater pace & India have Zaheer when he's fit so might not want two (or three with RP Singh) leftie seamers, but everyone else would find a spot, I'm sure.

Anyone with a brain in their head would have Sidebottom over Johnson in this current form in test matches

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Anyone with a brain in their head would have Sidebottom over Johnson in this current form in test matches
I agree; the only thing Johnson has over Sidebottom is express pace. One could have also argued that Johnson does better on dead pitches than Sidebottom, but after Sidebottom's 1st innings performance in Napier (a supposed batting paradise), it would be idiotic to say so.

Sidebottom is a vastly superior bowler to RP Singh. As I've said elsewhere, RP Singh's adventurous search for swing (he pitches the ball up quite often) leads him to be absolute cannon fodder when he can't get the ball to move. This is exacerbated by his lack of accuracy and decent variation (does he even have a slower ball?) and is duly reflected in his ridiculously high economy rate (in Tests and ODI's).

As much as Zaheer Khan has improved, he was pretty damn mediocre before. In fact, his Test record still isn't all that (he averages 34; he used to average 37 in 2005). What does this mean? A purple patch that (:-O) isn't all that purple? He, unlike Sidebottom, has also profited most in favourable conditions. Also, that's the problem with Khan - you have to assume that he's going to be match fit. His injury record is as dismal as any.

So, IMO, Sidebottom>Khan>>RP Singh, at this moment in time.

As for the main question, I think that Sidebottom would make every team at present.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'd take Abdur Razzak over Jeetan Patel in ODIs. I'm also partial to Shakib Al Hasan, if NZ were reduced to playing some dire middle order bat like James Marshall or Lou Vincent I'd go Shakib.

Burgey

True. Allowance must be made, though, for the fact that Johnson is just starting out in his career, whereas Sidebottom, despite only being a regular at test level recently, has been a first class professional for 11 years now.

Certainly at this point in time yo'd take Sidebottom over Johnson, except perhaps in Australia itself where the ball doesn't swing as much.

Zinzan

Paul Collingwood. Who would slot him in?
IMO Collingwood would make the following test teams .........

NZ, Pakistan, WI, Zim & Bang

Not convinced he would make SL or SA

and definately not the Aussie/Indian lineups