• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What other teams would they make........

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Jerome Taylor

Test : Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, New Zealand

ODI : England, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Pakistan, Kenya, Ireland, India, SA

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Plunkett, Mahmood and Blackwell would waltz into the both nations comfortably.
100% agree.

When I talk about all 3 being terrible it is relative to the expected standard of England cricketers.

They would be great for Bang and Zim. Aside from his bowling Blackwell could bat top 5, Plunkett would be a very useful allround cricketer and Mahmood would give an edge that poor sides often lack and find hard to produce.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Either Parchment or Morton.
Even though Runako Morton has a good first-class record that would probably be at least 5 runs better in Zimbabwe domestic cricket? And that he has a good ODI record, especially by Zimbabwean standards? And look at his record AGAINST Zimbabwe. If he can average 57 (with 4 fifties and a hundred in 8 innings) against the team he can't make, the world is pretty twisted. If any team has been impressed by Morton, it's Zimbabwe.

Brenton Parchment is black with a reasonable record. He would have gotten a few games for Zimbabwe.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
100% agree.

When I talk about all 3 being terrible it is relative to the expected standard of England cricketers.

They would be great for Bang and Zim. Aside from his bowling Blackwell could bat top 5, Plunkett would be a very useful allround cricketer and Mahmood would give an edge that poor sides often lack and find hard to produce.
Think you're slightly overstating their ability, Blackwell certainly wouldn't bat in the top 5 for a Bangladesh Test side (no higher than 8 IMO), I'm not sure Mahmood would really give them that much of an "edge". Mahmood I imagine would share the new ball with Mortaza with Shahadat as back up.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
To the otusider it looks like of West Indies caps gets thrown out at random despite when look at their average it is like 'so what?'.
It's probably that their the best of a bad bunch

Waiting for Camps to correct me in 3, 2, 1...:ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

To the otusider it looks like of West Indies caps gets thrown out at random despite when look at their average it is like 'so what?'.
It happens occasionally, a la Dwayne Smith. But believe it or not, most West Indies players are picked on some sort of merit. It's a bit like New Zealand, where domestic averages have to be taken in conext of the local competition, rather than in the context of the rest of the world. A consistent average over 30 is good. Over 35 is good enough to get selected. Over 40 is unheard of, outside of Chanderpaul and Gayle.

A lot of players are also picked on potential, based on youth level performances.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Think you're slightly overstating their ability, Blackwell certainly wouldn't bat in the top 5 for a Bangladesh Test side (no higher than 8 IMO), I'm not sure Mahmood would really give them that much of an "edge". Mahmood I imagine would share the new ball with Mortaza with Shahadat as back up.
Im not overstating their abilities. They are nothing more than decent professional cricketers with roles they could perform.

What I am doing is stating how low I believe the standard of Bang and Zim cricket is.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jerome Taylor

Test : Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, New Zealand

ODI : England, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Pakistan, Kenya, Ireland, India, SA
Ove whom?
Vaas - No
Malinga - No
Amerasinghe - may be yes
Thilan Thushara - No way.
Maharoof - No, can't bat like him.
Dilhara - even records.
Kulasekara - of course.

SO Taylor will find very difficult to get in to SL seam attack with current seamers around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Im not overstating their abilities. They are nothing more than decent professional cricketers with roles they could perform.

What I am doing is stating how low I believe the standard of Bang and Zim cricket is.
Agree with this. Blackwell would comfortably slip into the top 5 of either team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Rangana Herath - vastly underrated left arm spinner, probably as good as Vettori.

He'd walk in to any side except India and NZ

Mr Mxyzptlk

SO Taylor will find very difficult to get in to SL seam attack with current seamers around.
Would get into the ODI team at the very least.
Rangana Herath - vastly underrated left arm spinner, probably as good as Vettori.

He'd walk in to any side except India and NZ
Sigh. Again, spinners NEVER walk into West Indies. The rarely even crawl in.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ove whom?
Vaas - No
Malinga - No
Amerasinghe - may be yes
Thilan Thushara - No way.
Maharoof - No, can't bat like him.
Dilhara - even records.
Kulasekara - of course.

That's ok for he can bowl better than him.

Also who's Thilan Thushara when his at home? Jerome Taylor has taken international hat-tricks (against Australia) and won international games for his side. Thushara's has done **** all.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Also whose Thilan Thushara when his home? Jerome Taylor has taken international hat-tricks (against Australia) and won international games for his side. Thushara's has done **** all.
Just cus you never heard of player doesn't mean he is not better then Taylor.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Also who's Thilan Thushara when his at home? Jerome Taylor has taken international hat-tricks (against Australia) and won international games for his side. Thushara's has done **** all.
He's quicker than Taylor. And a way better batsman and a fielder too. Can hit lusty blows when needed. Overall Taylor has less chance to get over him (because it will hamper the balance of the side), but with bowling there may be. But we have to wait till how Thushara performs n matches.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just cus you never heard of player doesn't mean he is not better then Taylor.
No, but the fact that is 27 and hasn't played test cricket in some years means his probably not that exceptional considering the likes of Kulasekara have been playing international cricket in that period. Taylor can bowl at 145kph and swing the ball both ways, that's a pretty good attribute to have.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He's quicker than Taylor. And a way better batsman and a fielder too. Can hit lusty blows when needed. Overall Taylor has less chance to get over him (because it will hamper the balance of the side), but with bowling there may be. But we have to wait till how Thushara performs n matches.
Taylor's an under-rated batsman. Improving greatly over the last year. And he can certainly hit the long ball when needed. Also, I very much doubt that Maharoof is quicker than Taylor. And Taylor is a pretty athletic guy and a decent catcher.

I don't think you've seen much of Taylor at all.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda needs to prove it don't you think...
When people start saying someone should play for every 2nd Test side. After playing two tests with a average FC record. A above par at best ODI record. Then you would think not. Thurshara would have played plenty more Tests and ODIs if it wasn't for injuries. The same applies Amerasinghe. A bit harsh to just say I never seen him play so he must be crap.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor's an under-rated batsman. Improving greatly over the last year. And he can certainly hit the long ball when needed. Also, I very much doubt that Maharoof is quicker than Taylor. And Taylor is a pretty athletic guy and a decent catcher.

I don't think you've seen much of Taylor at all.
Pretty sure he was talking about Thurshara, he bowls a fair bit quicker then Taylor. At full fitness he would Sri Lankans quickest bowler.