• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni defends dropping seniors/shares thoughts on Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Statements by Dhoni

A couple good statements in there, but I'm not sure he needed to say anything. And unfortunately, it looks like abuse isn't going to end any time soon, regardless of that so called 'zero tolerance' policy by ICC.

jeevan

International 12th Man
It would help if Dhoni and his trash talking cohorts were actually able to measure up to world class in cricketing skills and not just thuggish behavior.

With the possible exception of the Sharmas, and may be Dhoni himself, the rest seem just good enough, and seem to have to depend on having a good day/week/month to deliver.

ret

International Debutant
It would help if Dhoni and his trash talking cohorts were actually able to measure up to world class in cricketing skills and not just thuggish behavior.
they won the competition, so what more could they do .... what are you sore at?

bond21

Banned
dude they won the ODI comp...that isnt worth anything when they lost the tests 3-1.

its like people saying oh theyre the 2020 world champs...who the hell cares? 2020 is a fundraiser.

ret

International Debutant
dude they won the ODI comp...that isnt worth anything when they lost the tests 3-1.

its like people saying oh theyre the 2020 world champs...who the hell cares? 2020 is a fundraiser.
dude, Ind lost 2-1 in the tests .... and this thread is not abt test .... some guys r sore coz Ganguly and/or Dravid were left out of the ODIs duh

someone can as well say who the hell cares, if OZ won the test series [and that too with the help of the umpires :roll:] .... every format has its own importance and following. there is no point in trying to undermine others achievements in other formats .... and yeah any world cup is important be it 20T or ODIs .... saying that who the hell cares for 20T WC or ODIs is more like a case of sour grapes :p

jeevan

International 12th Man
they won the competition, so what more could they do .... what are you sore at?
I dont yet buy the I-am-god-because-i-won-the-trophy. Do it for several years and then I can eat my words, but I still wont be buying the sledging-is-necessary-for-success stuff even then.

This ODI win in particular:
A non-sledging over-the-hill oldie called Sachin had something to do with the last 3 games that actually got us into and won the final. As did fabulous performances from the relatively quiet Praveen Kumar and the already acknowledged Sharmas and Dhoni. So, I just dont see how the shouting brigade was crucial to this.

ret

International Debutant
I dont yet buy the I-am-god-because-i-won-the-trophy. Do it for several years and then I can eat my words, but I still wont be buying the sledging-is-necessary-for-success stuff even then.

This ODI win in particular:
A non-sledging over-the-hill oldie called Sachin had something to do with the last 3 games that actually got us into and won the final. As did fabulous performances from the relatively quiet Praveen Kumar and the already acknowledged Sharmas and Dhoni. So, I just dont see how the shouting brigade was crucial to this.
I don't think that they are acting like Gods .... It's more like they are given an account of how they went abt things .... i don't think that Dhoni said/implied that sledging is necessary for success, as, iirc, he talked abt how there was no sledging in the games against SL. what he probably said is against the OZ it was necessary to give them back and that he had playeres who backed up what they said with performances [Bhajji being instrumental in Haydo/Symo dismissals]

now as a captain, what he did was bring out the best from some players who could be motivated by giving it back .... why wouldn't a captain want to use that if it makes his player perform .... there are different motivators for different ppl .... and it's taken that the whole team is not going to shout, it's only going to be a selected few, like in war you prepare a false front to attract opponent's attention while others do their jobs quietly

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some people thrive on it, some don't. Some cricketers need their egos fired to get the best out of them, others seem not to have any ego at all. Just depends on the individual really, but there's no place for abuse, if that's what's meant by sledging in this instance.

ret

International Debutant
i guess, his interview is more abt the justification of the selection of the team than anything else .... and it was Bhajji who was abused, wasn't he? he was called a weed and what not in media, while there is no evidence of him abusing so why would Dhoni be implying abuses, i don't get it?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Some people thrive on it, some don't. Some cricketers need their egos fired to get the best out of them, others seem not to have any ego at all. Just depends on the individual really, but there's no place for abuse, if that's what's meant by sledging in this instance.
My biggest bone about sledging is that it will take an army of lawyers to decipher what the person saying it intends, in terms of abuse and how the person hearing it, interprets it. And that there are players who will exploit this ambiguity.

It is very much possible to mistreat people (plainest definition of abuse) by using words that are not strictly racist,***ist, etc and I am not up for that sort of thing at my place of work.
Dont see why it should have a place on a cricket field, just because they are on camera and are paid a lot (well not all of them, I was actually surprised at the compensations of some international cricketers who have chucked regular cricket careers away for $100-200K or less).

adharcric

International Coach
My biggest bone about sledging is that it will take an army of lawyers to decipher what the person saying it intends, in terms of abuse and how the person hearing it, interprets it. And that there are players who will exploit this ambiguity.

It is very much possible to mistreat people (plainest definition of abuse) by using words that are not strictly racist,***ist, etc and I am not up for that sort of thing at my place of work.
Dont see why it should have a place on a cricket field, just because they are on camera and are paid a lot (well not all of them, I was actually surprised at the compensations of some international cricketers who have chucked regular cricket careers away for $100-200K or less).
Being on camera isn't the justification but you can't really compare a competitive athletic arena to the professional workplace. Yeah, there is a code of conduct and a line that should not be crossed but it's unique to each sport and different from what you have in the "workplace". Burgey summed it up best IMO.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Being on camera isn't the justification but you can't really compare a competitive athletic arena to the professional workplace. Yeah, there is a code of conduct and a line that should not be crossed but it's unique to each sport and different from what you have in the "workplace". Burgey summed it up best IMO.
Certainly they are different. But certainly cricket has quaint notions such as not allowing players to express dissatisfaction with umpires, ie there is a strong notion of appropriate behavior. Given that , certainly don't see a problem with banning stuff like "How does Lara's dick taste" or "monkey".

Athlai

Not Terrible
He is the captain of a sports team, does he really need to explain all his motives behind the moves he makes? Perhaps in the case of him doing something 'wrong' where another person is actively harmed in some way, he should. But when its talking about selections and strategies he shouldn't have to justify anything. Sure he can be held accountable for poor decisions, but after a winning series and raising an Indian team that actually looks like they give a damn about winning Mr Dhoni shouldn't have to say a thing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course he doesn't. My comments were in relation to his concerning the verbal issue, not his strategies. I mean, he volunteered the answers, unless he was on a rack when the questions were asked :).