• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranji Trophy Semifinals and Final

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Semifinals:
Mumbai vs Baroda
Tamil Nadu vs Delhi

The Mumbai-Baroda match has pretty much all of India's bowling resources on a fast track in Baroda. Agarkar is showing his mettle there with a five wicket haul and a quick 70; Mumbai is creaming Baroda.
Tamil Nadu had the advantage over Delhi at the end of day 2 as it's batting lineup including 6 left handers made 327.
The bowlers had Delhi at 126/4.

Can anybody update on what happened on April 27?
I cant find it in the papers online.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mumbai Won the match against Baroda

Mumbai rout Baroda
April 27, 2003_19:58 IST
Mumbai scored a thumping innings and 138 runs victory over last year's runner's-up Baroda in the elite Ranji Trophy semi-final match at GSFC grounds, in Baroda on Sunday.
Baroda's second innings lasted barely 127 minutes, with the team losing nine wickets for 106 runs off 43.2 overs before being all out for 122.
Spinner Sairaj Bahutule bowled a fine spell, bagging five wickets for a mere 21 runs.
Mumbai, who entered the final after a gap of three years, will meet the winner of the other semi-final between Tamil Nadu and Delhi.
Baroda, who were bowled out for 130 in their first innings, had conceded a 260-run first innings lead to Mumbai, who had scored 390.
Resuming at overnight score of 16 for the loss of captain Connor Williams (6), Baroda lost three wickets in quick succession and were reduced to 40 for 4 in no time.
Overnight batsmen Satyajit Parab and Rakesh T Solanki lasted only five overs when play resumed this morning.
Aavishkar Salvi broke the partnership when he clean bowled Parab at 36.
That opened the floodgates as Baroda failed to withstand the fine bowling of Bahutule, Agarkar and Powar, and the team kept losing wickets at regular intervals.
Rakesh Solanki and Ajit Bhoite showed some determination and added 50 runs for the fifth wicket.
Speedster Zaheer Khan delighted the home crowd by hitting two sixes. However, the Baroda innings did not last long and match was over after lunch.
Scoreboard
Baroda (1st innings): 130
Mumbai (1st innings): 390
Baroda (2nd innings):
C Williams c W Jaffer b Powar 6
S Parab b Salvi 19
R Solanki c and b Bahutule 38
D Salvi c Samant 0
T Arothe c Mane b Agarkar 1
A Bhoite c Salvi b Bahutule 19
N Mongia c Agarkar b Power 6
I Pathan Jr b Bahutule 4
R Patel lbw Bahutule 0
Z Khan st Samant b Bahutule 15
V Buch not out 0
Extras (lb-5, w-2, nb-7) 14
Total (all out, 51.2 overs) 122
Fall of wickets: 1-16, 2-36, 3-36, 4-40, 5-90, 6-102,
7-102, 8-106, 9-115.
Bowling: Agarkar 9-5-10-1, Salvi 7-2-13-2, Bahutule 13.2-4-21-5, Powar 17-4-58-2, Mahambrey 5-2-15-0.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
This is so irritating.
Surely the day's play is over. But there's nothing on the web on it!

TN-Delhi match was looking a little close, though TN had the advantage.

I am very surprised that NO newspaper is covering the match, or giving in match reports online in the evening (IST).
I have to wait till it's morning in India to get any information. And Crickinfo sucks- they're nearly two days late.

Anybody who's watching the match?

The semifinals of the Ranji are supposed to be big matches. Also the players involved are pretty good. Sehwag, Gambhir, Chopra, Ramesh, Badani, Sriram, Sarath, Zaheer, Pathan, Agarkar, Rakesh Patel, Bahutule, ...

Ferozshah Kotla sucks though. I dont know why they still have that open to first class matches.

Would you believe this- it rained at Kotla yesterday and they covered the wrong pitch by mistake :wow: :rolleyes:
It's like playing in ruins.

V Reddy

International Debutant
full_length said:
Would you believe this- it rained at Kotla yesterday and they covered the wrong pitch by mistake :wow: :rolleyes:
It's like playing in ruins.
You got to expect that with Indian Domestic Cricket. No wonder they are not able to prepare bouncy pitches.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sehwag hits unbeaten 98
April 28, 2003_18:54 IST
Virender Sehwag blazed his way through to an unbeaten 98 on Monday_to rekindle slender hopes of a possible victory for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy semi-final_against Tamil Nadu at the Ferozshah Kotla in Delhi.
Unfazed by the inconsitent bounce on the pitch, Sehwag drove, cut and pulled with ease to frustrate the opposition bowlers, as Delhi, chasing a daunting victory target of 333, ended day four on 159 for five.
At stumps, first innings hero N S Negi, on two, was giving company to Sehwag, after the hosts suffered yet another top order batting collapse.
With all their other recognised batsmen back in the pavilion, Delhi hopes of getting 174 more runs on the last day, Tuesday,_hinge solely on Sehwag and Negi.
Sehwag stood tall even as wickets fell at regular intervals at the other end and treated the Tamil Nadu bowlers with disdain, hitting them all around the park.
His onslaught was so severe that he needed only 108 balls to compile his knock, during which hit 19 fours and a six off off-spinner D Dhandapani.
Sehwag, who missed out on the party in the first innings after being out for a fourth-ball duck, picked up captain S Suresh, spinners Dhandapani and Vidyut Shivramkrishnan for special treatment, hitting them out of the attack with some excellent shots.
Earlier, after dismissing Tamil Nadu for 261 in their second innings,_which was built mainly around fine knocks of 75 not out by S Sharath and 55 by Sadgopan Ramesh, Delhi started the day on a disastrous note losing three wickets for 26 runs.
Scoreboard
Tamil Nadu (1st innings): 327
Delhi (1st innings): 256
Tamil Nadu (2nd innings):
V Sivaramakrishnan c Dahiya b Bhandari_0
S Suresh c Dahiya b Negi 35
S Sriram c Sanghvi b Gill 16
H Badani lbw_Sehwag 5
S Ramesh c Dahiya b Manhas 55
S Sharath not out 75
V Saravanan c Negi b Sarandeep 34
M R Srinivas c Chopra b Negi_0
D Dhandapani c Sehwag b Sarandeep_6
L Balaji c Chopra b Bhandari 11
P Raju b Negi_14
Extras:_ (lb-1, nb-8, w-1) 10
Total: (all out, 93 overs) 261
Fall of wickets: 1-0, 2-35, 3-43, 4-72, 51-153, 6-208, 7-209, 8-216, 9-236.
Bowling: Bhadari 14-2-61-2, Gill 17-1-48-1, Sarandeep 26-12-40-2, Sehwag 12-1-43-1, Negi 12-1-41-3, Sanghvi 10-4-23-0, Manhas 2-0-4-1.
Delhi (2nd innings):
A Chopra c Badani b Balaji 12
G Gambhir c sub (Badrinath) b Balaji 0
V Sehwag batting_98
M Manhas c Raju b Balaji 4
V Kumar b Dhandapani_23
V Dahiya c Suresh b Shivramkrishnan_3
N S Negi batting_2
Extras: (lb-6, b-4, w-3, nb-4) 17
Total (for 5 wkts, 38 overs) 159
Fall of wickets: 1-12, 2-22, 3-26, 4-96, 5-132.
Bowling: Balaji 11-2-46-3, Srinivas 8-3-22-0, Sarvanan 2-0-13-0, Suresh 6-3-29-0, Dhandapani 6-2-23-1, Sivaramakrishnan 5-1-16-1.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
You got to expect that with Indian Domestic Cricket. No wonder they are not able to prepare bouncy pitches.
No, one has come to expect that of Kotla.
Over the years I have seen with disgust the way they conduct matches.
The international matches are run so shoddily there. How can you expect anything better for the domestic ones.
I dont understand how they are able to take the privelige of hosting matches for granted.

Thanks for the info on the match.

Go TN!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cricinfo has scorecards and reports on these games - just go to India (at the top of the front page)

V Reddy

International Debutant
full_length said:
Sehwag to get run out by 110 ;)
He's done that twice in international cricket.
Nah, Balaji will get him out soon and will take a 5or 6 wicket haul. I too want TN to go as it is a more all-round team. I don't want Mumbai to win the Ranji Trophy and also it lets Sehwag to play in County Cricket more early if Delhi lose this match. I really want to see how he goes in the County Cricket.

As far as Kotla is concerned, i don't think it has good facilities for the spectators as well. I still can't believe how they covered the wrong pitch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Choora

State Regular
Can't say that Balaji will get Veeru out early, but TN win is very much on the cards:) , i'm looking forward to TN vs Mumbai final, though i have a feeling that TN would lose it as Mumbai's team is very strong:( . Anyway Balaji is having a great season, seems to be the driving force for TN!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
TN's driving force is the stylish batting lineup. The bowlers seem to be doing their job though.
It's freaky- TN has six lefties.. I think.

Marc, I think crickinfo gets them all very very late.
I look forward to seeing the scores in the morning after getting up, since it's evening in India, and I only see the earlier day's scorecard!
Infact there was NO news of the Ranji semifinals coverage till the second day's play was over.

As for the Indian newspapers, it's irritating- it looks like they have it up only after the morning newspapers come out in India.

Chances are, I am missing some sources (probably some news channel's website), but none of the major online resources seem to cover the event.

I hope that changes for the finals. The matches are throwing up interesting stuff.

TN-Delhi encounter can turn out to be very interesting, but the visitors have dominated enough to be considered favourites.

Choora, I don't think Mumbai will overpower TN. It could prove to be a great match (if TN gets through, that is). Mumbai has a very good side. Let's see how good the TN batsmen are. Especially Sriram and Sarath. They have been scoring big runs for ages now and don't get a national call. I would like to see them face Agarkar and co.
Ramesh has been doing well. Badani is high quality but does not seem to be the kind that makes tall scores. Suresh is due for some, and more.
Sarath is injured btw.

Actually, I want TN to win (assuming they get through the semis). But more than that, I want to see how good the various players in both teams are. If it's a good match and Mumbai wins, all's cool with me :)
Let's see if AA can live up to his reputation.

Where is the match (finals) going to be played??

V Reddy

International Debutant
full_length, Rediff is updating 2-3 hours after the day's play is over. Also you can search on Google.com 's news. Go to google.com and there is an option titled News beside Directory. Click on that News and it will open a new page. There you can search for it using keywords such as Ranji Trophy or "Tamil Nadu Delhi Scorecard " . I find all the articles of the news papers there.

Also Choora since sachin is not there TN will win the final against Mumbai. In 2001 when these 2 teams played against each other in Semis TN was easily winning it but Sachin came and made a double century and won it with 1 or 2 wickets in hand. This time they have Salvi too but i think TN have enough quality batsman to overcome them.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Choora said:
Can't say that Balaji will get Veeru out early, but TN win is very much on the cards:) , i'm looking forward to TN vs Mumbai final, though i have a feeling that TN would lose it as Mumbai's team is very strong:( . Anyway Balaji is having a great season, seems to be the driving force for TN!
As i have said Balaji gets Veeru:D . He was unlucky to get a seven wicket haul as 2 catches were dropped of him. Hope he performs well in Ranji Final too and gets a place in the Indian team.

Balaji scalps five as TN humble Delhi

April 29, 2003 15:32 IST

L Balaji took five wickets as Tamil Nadu moved into the final of the Ranji Trophy with a convincing 132-run win over Delhi at the Ferozshah Kotla ground in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Balaji, commencing the bowling on the morning of the fifth and final day for the visitors, virtually put the issue beyond Delhi in his third over of the day by getting rid of overnight batsman Virender Sehwag with a perfect incutter that uprooted the dashing batsman's leg-stump.

Sehwag, who played beautifully yesterday for his unbeaten 98, was unlucky to miss his century by just one run as he was castled for 99.

Balaji, who is having a dream run with the ball this domestic season, finished with five for 49.

Sehwag's dismissal in the 41st over put paid to Delhi's slender hopes of making it to the final, as the hosts, chasing a target of 333, lasted a further 13 overs to be bowled out for 200.

In the final, Tamil Nadu will meet Mumbai, who inflicted an innings defeat on Baroda in the other semi-final on Saturday. The final would be played at Mumbai from May 5.

This was the seventh five-wicket haul in an innings for the 22-year old Balaji in this Ranji season. He has so far scalped 44 wickets from only six matches. His tally, which has come at a very good average of 12.75, also includes three match hauls of ten-wickets.

But for missed chances, the lanky fast bowler could have bagged a couple of more wickets in Delhi's second innings, which lasted only 67 minutes this morning.

Sarandeep Singh, who came in to bat after Sehwag's exit, was dropped at point by S Sriram when the batsman was yet to open his account.

Sriram's butter-fingered display also benefitted Sanjay Gill, whose lofted pull shot off Balaji was grassed in the deep mid-wicket region.

However, both the batsmen did not survive long to cause any worry for Tamil Nadu captain S Suresh, who chipped in with two wickets.

After the match, Suresh said he is quite happy with the team's performance in the semi-final.

"We played really well and everybody contributed in the win. It was indeed a fine show by the players as it is not easy to beat Delhi on their home soil."

The all-rounder, who shone both with the bat and ball in the match, lavished praise on Balaji for his match-winning performance.

"Balaji again proved that he is a class bowler. He has bowled beautifully throughout the season, and no doubt his performance in the semi-final played a significant role in our victory."

Earlier, resuming at the overnight score of 159 for five, Delhi suffered an early blow when first innings top-scorer N S Negi departed without adding anything to his overnight score of two.

Negi was dismissed on the fourth ball of the morning when he was stuck on the pad by a Balaji in-cutter that kept quite low. The umpire had no hesitation in giving him out leg before as Delhi slumped to 159 for six.

Sehwag, who stood tall amidst the ruins yesterday with some breath-taking shots for his unbeaten 98, failed to score a century yet again.

The last century for Sehwag at any form of the game came in early January when he scored 112 against New Zealand in the sixth one-day international at Auckland, which India won by a narrow one wicket margin.

He had a mediocre World Cup in South Africa, where India finished second behind Australia. His highest score in the mega tournament was 82 made against Australia in the final.

He stayed at the crease for six more balls today and added only a single to his overnight score before getting out.

Sarandeep Singh's 40 minutes stay at the crease yielded 10 runs which included one boundary before he was dismissed giving a catch to Vidyut Shivramkrishnan off Suresh.

Suresh also claimed the wicket of Rahul Sanghvi, who struggled to make 13 before being snapped by wicketkeeper P Raju.

The entire team erupted in joy and hugged each other when last-man Gill was caught at deep mid-wicket by substitute fielder D J Gokulakrishnan off Vidyut Shivramkrishnan.

Scorecard

Tamil Nadu (1st innings): 327

Delhi (1st innings): 256

Tamil Nadu (2nd innings): 261

Delhi (2nd innings): (overnight 159 for five)

A Chopra c Badani b Balaji 12

G Gambhir c sub (Badrinath) b Balaji 0

V Sehwag b Balaji 99

M Manhas c Raju b Balaji 4

V Kumar b Dhandapani 23

V Dahiya c Suresh b Shivramkrishnan 3

N S Negi lbw Balaji 2

Sarandeep Singh c Shivramkrishnan b Suresh 10

R Sanghvi c Raju b Suresh 13

S Gill c sub (G'krishnan) b Shivramkrishnan 10

A Bhandari not out 4

Extras: (lb-6, b-5, w-5, nb-4) 20

Total: (all out, 53.3 overs) 200

Fall of wickets: 1-12, 2-22, 3-26, 4-96, 5-132, 6-159, 7-163, 8-178, 9-189.

Bowling: Balaji 16-4-49-5, Srinivas 8-3-22-0, Sarvanan 2-0-13-0, Suresh 9-3-40-2, Dhandapani 6-2-23-1, Sivaramakrishnan 12.3-1-42-2.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Hurrah! Cheers TN :)

Yeah Vishnu, you got it right. I am impressed with Balaji (from the scorecard ofcourse).
Did you notice he has all three top batsmen of Delhi- Chopra, Sehwag and Gambhir? Also Negi the guy who played brilliantly so far, and Manhas, also top order. Not bad.

Yes I use google news a lot. Infact that's what I use for the cricket news as well. which is why I think I've looked everywhere and still dont see any live coverage, or regular bulletins anywhere. What you have been posting is news that comes several hours after end of days play! And that's what we get.
Anyway, I'm just disappointed with that. Let's hope for better with finals. Even if they dont want to provide ball by ball commentary, they should atleast give us coverage session by session.

V Reddy

International Debutant
But TN has a lot of new bowlers this season.There used to be Mahesh( Ramesh's Brother ) , Kumaran , etc,. Maybe they are both dropped. I think CricInfo will provide Text Commentary for the Finals. DD Sports will cover the match live on TV here. Also Reuben is not the keeper.

Last edited:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Not really.
They're late. rediff has the articles out before they do.
I sense an opportunity for cricketweb :D
The board has members in most of the cricketplaying nations. Maybe..

V Reddy

International Debutant
I will try to update the scores here in this thread during Lunch,Tea,etc,. By the way when is the final ;)

Marc, I think CricInfo India has gone down . There was a time when they used to cover Ranji Trophy Cricket Live from the Quarters . Also now a days i see Cricket News first in other websites than CricInfo. And there used to be columns written by WV Raman,Prasanna,etc,.

Choora

State Regular
What a wonderful performance by Balaji , i've been saying this for a long time that L Balaji is a wonderful pacer and should get a proper chance to represent India.

Now its going to be the final between TN and Mumbai, i will be praying with all my heart for TN's win, but somehow i feel Mumbai is still strong enough to beat TN:( .TN's batting is good , but they will face a good attack in Avishkar and Ajit( who always does well at domestic level).
I will be hoping for Tamil Nadu's to emerge victorious and Balaji to shine in the crunch match too!