• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player referrals to be tried

pasag

RTDAS
Goughy - all reasons I acknowledge but I don't think they're enough to put such a huge strain on umpires, especially with the meat of the problem now gone.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy - all reasons I acknowledge but I don't think they're enough to put such a huge strain on umpires, especially with the meat of the problem now gone.
Obviously Id disagree. Especially as they are issues that wouldnt exist if 3rd party umpires worked.

I cant see 1 good reason to have home umpires ahead of 3rd party ones. I cant understand the deisre, but I guess we will leave that for another day.

pasag

RTDAS
For me there are - umpire strain and losing quality umpires to early retirements and having the best umpires umpiring the biggest matches are more important than some people's complaints of bias especially when a large majority of those complaints will be put to rest with referrals. Just because something could happen here or there on top of that, isn't enough reason, for mine, to not reintroduce the law.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd go so far as to say there'd be 1 benefit to "home" Umpires - the reduction in travelling. But this is certainly not offset by the 3 or 4 cons - 1 of which is a very, very considerable one.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As Gelman said - overreaction IMO. There are the odd few egomaniacal idiots out there (the Ross Emersons) but most of them are fundamentally decent people - heck, I believe there's a fair amount of fundamental decency in Darrell Hair FFS - but it's far from restricted to the likes of Harold and Simon Taufel to be decent eggs.
The whole colonial style administration of the ICC is practically designed to allow for egomaniacal control and the sooner that changes the less dram we will have about things like the Hair saga

Give Daryl Harper the right tools and he too will have Tests and Tests at a time go by without a single error. Heck, give you or me (or Gelman) it and there'll be a substantial chance of that.
My thoughts exactly what's the point of using all this uber-technology to show up umpires who are dependant on their own human without allowing them the assistance of these technologies?

It's essential that Umpires retain the ability to control play - the ability to tell the players to stop X or Y if things get heated. This part of the Umpire's job is more important than decision-making, which any fool can do if they get the right tools.
As stated earlier if there is going to be the use of technology in important decision making then the first priority should go to the people who are directly responsible for making thses decisions-the umpires

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm anti, but only the "player" part because I don't think the referrals (assuming they're limited) will be evenly applied. I'm all for the use of technology, but would prefer it to be in the umpires' hands. One would hope, with the prospect of looking like a prize nob to the world if they didn't refer an incident, that the arbitors would have enough about them to use all the means at their disposal.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Personally, I hate the idea.

Either you allow unlimited appeals, which is a stupid idea and would take far too long, obviously, or you don't have them at all.

It basically is saying to the fans and players: The umpires aren't really up to their job, so you can question their desicion, but you can only question it twice (I think), so if you get 3 crap decisions in an innings, then tough, because you on have 2 referals.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I'm anti, but only the "player" part because I don't think the referrals (assuming they're limited) will be evenly applied. I'm all for the use of technology, but would prefer it to be in the umpires' hands. One would hope, with the prospect of looking like a prize nob to the world if they didn't refer an incident, that the arbitors would have enough about them to use all the means at their disposal.
I also thought the decision/referral should be in the hands of the umpire, however this would mean it is still his call whether to make it or not and it will only take one error for him not to refer and replays show if he had referred a correct decision would have been made, or another example his referrals may favor one team thoughout a match, seriers or lifespan. Putting this responsibilty in the players hands is a far better solution, it removes the complete god like control of the game away from one man and spreads it to some degree between the players.Watch the increase of players walking over time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Personally, I hate the idea.

Either you allow unlimited appeals, which is a stupid idea and would take far too long, obviously, or you don't have them at all.

It basically is saying to the fans and players: The umpires aren't really up to their job, so you can question their desicion, but you can only question it twice (I think), so if you get 3 crap decisions in an innings, then tough, because you on have 2 referals.
Not really, you get two or three wrong appeals. If you keep appealing things that don't go in your favor and you run out of them - well thats just tough luck to you and you shouldn't have been an idiot referring things like that.

And the reason we have this is because the umpires aren't up to the job at a level required to ensure that it is the players, not the umpires, that decide the outcome. And its not necessarily the umpire's fault either, they are human and will make mistakes. The problem is when those mistake(s) decide the outcome of a game, the sport becomes a farce. And in cricket, even one wrong decision can change the outcome, so its vital that players are able to appeal. If you know you didn't get an edge, you're already thinking the umpire is a nob on the way to the dressing room, and in 10 seconds after the TV replay, the whole world knows of the incompetence too. You might as well correct the error on the spot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The game has gotten by long enough without this system, no? Obviously change will always happen, but....I don't think this is a good change. I don't like the idea of players referring decisions...I guess I mainly agree with Brumby...contradicting my opening statement a little, but no bother, it's late and I am tired!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The game has gotten by long enough without this system, no?
Only because this option wasnt a realistic option previously.

Its not as if technology has been ignored for a Century. The progression has only made it feasable in the last decade or less.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I know, silly thing to say really. My thinking was though, that the error rate in Cricket is lower than in other sports so is it really necessary? Think someone already said that in this thread, might have been you actually....

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully CSA nix the idea, like they did when offered the chance of playing test night cricket in Australia this year. Let two other countries try it first, for it was hopelessly applied when used in English domestic cricket.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Why not just let the coaches in the pavillion do the appealing, subjected to a limited number per game? They would have the benefit of television replays before appealing, and this would hopefully avoid wastage of time.