• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News - Hair reinstated to elite panel

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Left-field or what? Thought it might be a piss-take when I saw the thread title.

Suffice to say I don't think he'll be standing in any games where Sri Lanka or Pakistan play any time soon, but England-NZ & England-SA might well benefit from his services. Grandstanding prick he may be, but gets more decisions right than most umps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Grandstanding prick he is, and his handling of ovalgate should have seen him punished (and Pakistan punished too), but he does get most decisions right. In the end, I don't mind this for that reason.

I just don't want him umpiring Pakistan and Sri Lankan games.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Ugh. Unnecessary controversy and yet more reason for the cricketing world to be split down the middle, here we come.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ugh. Unnecessary controversy and yet more reason for the cricketing world to be split down the middle, here we come.
Haha yea. Looking forward to more Darrel Hair threads, and more grandstanding from all sides the next time he gives a high LBW or heaven forbid, sees someone from the subcontinent tampering a ball and punishes them. :laugh:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Haha yea. Looking forward to more Darrel Hair threads, and more grandstanding from all sides the next time he gives a high LBW or heaven forbid, sees someone from the subcontinent tampering a ball and punishes them. :laugh:
Haha, yeah. I'd love it if someone Asian was caught blatantly ball-tampering during a Hair match, but no-one believed old Darrell. 'The Ump who cried "ball-tampering!"'.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sad that the prize scumbag is back, hopefully he won't stand in any subcontinental matches....

ret

International Debutant
thats definatlly 'breaking' news .... i hope Bucknor gets kicked out of the elite panel

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow. Left-field or what? Thought it might be a piss-take when I saw the thread title.
:laugh: Thought it was when I saw the thread-starter, personally. :p Mitchell in CC is hardly a common occurance.
BoyBrumby said:
Grandstanding prick he may be, but gets more decisions right than most umps.
Grandstanding prick he is...
:laugh:
BoyBrumby said:
Suffice to say I don't think he'll be standing in any games where Sri Lanka or Pakistan play any time soon, but England-NZ & England-SA might well benefit from his services.
silentstriker said:
I just don't want him umpiring Pakistan and Sri Lankan games.
Hair should not be in any Pakistan ,SL matches .
If I$C$C are seriously considering putting him in Pakistan or Sri Lanka games, they're insane, for so many reasons. However, in games involving the others (not like there's any shortage of them TBH, there's England-South Africa, England-New Zealand, England-West Indies, England-India, South Africa-New Zealand, South Africa-West Indies, South Africa-India, West Indies-New Zealand, New Zealand-India and West Indies-India - that's 10 series), as ss says, there's no reason to believe he won't do a far better job than Daryl Harper, Mark Benson, Ian Howell and many besides.

Also, having always felt Hair got a little (not a massive - but a little) of a raw deal following Ovalgate, there's an element of justice for my money. His performance in the match was inconsidered, hot-headed, inconsiderate, and was the biggest piece of the puzzle that made for one of the worst incidents in cricket history. Did such a thing deserve sacking from I$C$C? Not for my money. The sensible thing would've been to calmly come out with "Darrell will not be standing in any more games involving Pakistan and Sri Lanka, but retains our confidence" or similar. Of course, I$C$C don't terribly often (not never, but not terribly often) come-out with sensible rulings. Better late than never I suppose, if this is indeed what's to happen. And surely even I$C$C (whoever's responsible) won't be stupid enough to ink him in for Pakistan or Sri Lanka games again.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
thats definatlly 'breaking' news .... i hope Bucknor gets kicked out of the elite panel
I just wish he'd retired following WC2007 (as he had at one point planned to) TBH. Then none of this mess would've happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

The notion of Hair standing in Pakistan vs Sri Lanka these days fills me with dread. I hope to Darrell (or should that be Imtiaz :unsure:) it doesn't happen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't really care, but the idea of '6 month rehabilitation' is ridiculous.

He wouldn't have changed his views of the incidents, so having not umpire for 6 months and then return makes no sense.

Plus, if he does in fact see someone ball tamper, you'd think even Hair would probably not have the balls to actually do anything about it, particularly if they're from a sub-cont. team. I'm hardly Hair's biggest fan (reckon he's a **** of massive proportions) but if the umpire faces this much scrutiny, what's the point?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully he might do what he should've done at The Oval - go about investigation in a more discreet way.

And FFS, Jono, it's 5AM - what're you doing up? :blink:

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
In a perfect world, we would have the choice of umpires about whom there is no controversy.
Mostly that would be by having a largish pool to choose from. Given that international umpires dont grow on trees, dont see why his return is not a good thing. He is OK with half the teams, and so can be a good choice for umpiring atleast 25% of all matches.

Also IMHO, he's paid a sufficient personal price for his past actions, whether or not you believe they were badly intentioned or merely poorly carried out. Seems unfair to me to commit him to a life ban. (Unlike Bucknor situation, where his actual umpiring abilities were in question.)