• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News - Hair reinstated to elite panel

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you raise a very good point here. What was the real reason behind his suspension, and what will it take for him to be expelled again?

The other issue is what if Murali or any other bowler, be it Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar, do straighten or partially straighten their arm during the delivery of a ball in a match officiated by Hair? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Or for that matter if a team refuses to come out to play and then change their mind and come out .....

In either of these instances one hopes Hair would now have learnt his lesson and instead of being a Prima Donna that he once was and trying to be the Centre of attention and the Universe, hopefully he will act through proper channels by highlighting it to Match referee and making reports that will then be used and investigated through the process set by the ICC as with instances of Teams refusing to play....Let the Match referee make the calls..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you raise a very good point here. What was the real reason behind his suspension, and what will it take for him to be expelled again?
His contract is up in a year. Snowball's chance in hell of them resigning him so they put him back on in carefully selected International matches to avoid another court case.

And if you don't know why he was suspended in the first place then :laugh:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
His contract is up in a year. Snowball's chance in hell of them resigning him so they put him back on in carefully selected International matches to avoid another court case.

And if you don't know why he was suspended in the first place then :laugh:
Smart...but obviously not as smart and as wise as yourself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We'll see what happens in 12 months time ....please remind us then (March 2009) of what happened regarding his contract :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Worth the wait !!

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Or for that matter if a team refuses to come out to play and then change their mind and come out .....

In either of these instances one hopes Hair would now have learnt his lesson and instead of being a Prima Donna that he once was and trying to be the Centre of attention and the Universe, hopefully he will act through proper channels by highlighting it to Match referee and making reports that will then be used and investigated through the process set by the ICC as with instances of Teams refusing to play....Let the Match referee make the calls..
I agree....but I do not think that he'll be given too many matches, in what will be his last 12 months. :laugh:

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Does the match referee make every call on chucking, so if someone deliberately throws the ball while "bowling" umpire would have to say nothing and refer it to the match referee for analysis?

Tony

As for South Africa I think their problems with Hair date back to an early 90s test in Adelaide where Warney with great assistance from Hair bowled Australia to a victory on the last day. Aust toured South Africa just after and their were more banners about Hair than players at the grounds

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does the match referee make every call on chucking, so if someone deliberately throws the ball while "bowling" umpire would have to say nothing and refer it to the match referee for analysis?
There was indeed one such instance in the West Indies vs South Africa Test at ARG in 2005. Wavell Hinds, enraged that Graeme Smith had apparently (was later shown to be baseless) used racist comments aimed at Dwayne Bravo, deliberately threw and overstepped in an attempt to hit him while bowling. He then spat at him.

Hinds was fined his entire match-fee.

Tony

of course he should have no balled him - lost his whole match fee with no suspension sounds a bit light

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The ball was a deliberate throw and a deliberate overstep. He was no-balled by the bowler's-end Umpire.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno, though I thought that when Hair originally called Murali, the referral system had not yet been put in place. Could be wrong there, but I thought the controversy had something to do with the referral system actually being brought in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The current (much more sensible than old) system was actually brought in around about 1999\2000, after the second Murali controversy involving Emerson in 1998\99. There's no doubt it was prompted by the Murali escapades.