• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's bowling action do you like or hate?

bond21

Banned
Like:

Brett Lee - Probably one of the best actions ever, so fluent and smooth.

Stuart Clark - Very stiff but it adds to his stereotype of being a metronome machine type that bowls perfect line and length all day.

Dale Steyn - Seems smooth

Matthew Hoggard - Sprints into the crease and the ball comes out at 125 km/h, still nice action though

Dislike:

Stuart Broad - His left arm goes wonky and points to bloody gully all the time, looks really weird.

Steve Harmison - Sue your coach, Stephen.

RP Singh - Looks like hes falling over when he bowls

Jacob Oram - Looks so unnatural

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From the past, I'd have Hadlee and Lillee as "pure" actions, but that doesn't mean guys with unusual actions aren't good to watch. I also enjoyed watching Thommo, Imran and Colin Croft, none of whose actions you wouldn't say are classically smooth styles like Lillee's or Hadlee's..

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nice thread. Completely agree re: Stuart Broad. His action is a dead `un for when I used to bowl pace. :(

Love Steyn's, Heal's and Bracks's's's's'. Powar is definately a throwback. Warney had a gun action.

...deja vu.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always really liked Gus Fraser's action myself. Being of the old school he didn't hold too much with these new-fangled ideas like slower balls, running the full gamut of speeds from 77mph all the way to 79 mph, but he had one of those perfectly-grooved, easily repeatable seamers' actions.

Actions I dislike...? Hmm, well one name does spring immediately to mind. :ph34r: Not to question its legality, as that seems to have been established, but Murali's action still looks utterly rank to me. Sorry.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Harbhajan Singh, really cluttered and just looks funny.
Steve Harmison, obvious reasons

Alysum

U19 Debutant
No-one beats McGraths lovely metronome action :cool:

I cannot stand Andre Nel's action, what with his back foot ?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Loved Damien Flemings, I got a sore back just from watching Malinga when he first played test cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Generally like fluid, poetry-in-motion actions, generally dislike forced looking actions. As pointed-out by Mr Burge, though, some actions are so far beyond the conventional that they've a novelty value. Not so much Laaasith Maaalinga, but Fidel Edwards much so.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Like : Lillee, Holding, Hadlee, Imran

Dislike : Procter, BWillis, Harmison, Flintoff, Nel, Shoaib

Like:Imran Khan,Richard Hadlee,Wasim Akram,Allan Donald,Curtley Ambrose,Andy Caddick,Waqar Younis,Brett Lee,Saqlain Mushtaq,Muttiah Muralitharan,Darren Gough,Mohammad Asif.

Dislike:Mohammad Sami,Abdur Razzaq,,Mohammad Akram,Ata-ur-Rehman,Danish Kaneria,Steve Harmison,Jason Gillespie,Chaminda Vaas,Mitchell Johnson,Andrew Flintoff.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hate Andre nel's action, as well as the Woercstershire (sp?) bowler, Michael Mason's action. Both look so unnatural and jerky.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Fast bowlers - Hadlee, Damien Fleming (copy book style). Malcolm Marshall, Courtney Walsh (chest on action, but masters of it)

Swing bowlers - Aaqib Javed, Vaas, Dominic Cork and Wasim Akram

Off spinners and slow left armers - BS Bedi, Aravnda de Silva, Saqlain Mushtaq

Leg spinners - Warne (of course! & I bowled with a lot similar action, but haven't seen him when I started my wrist spin in 1989-90) and Kumble

haroon510

International 12th Man
current cricketers

Like: asif, RP singh bret Lee, Shoaib, Murali,Kumble

Dislike: Sreesanth, Nel, sohail Tanvir, Agerkar, Sami, Danish Kaneria

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Mfuneko Ngam had a good-loooking action..too bad his body couldn't take the stress the action created.
Praveen Kumar has a good action. Kapil Dev was very smooth..
I somehow don't like Mitchell Johnson's action..seems to be muscling the ball to the other end..