• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's bowling action do you like or hate?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig White's a funny one - I did love to watch him bowl (aside from the fact I always thought he was a potentially terrific all-wicket bowler from 2000 onwards) but less from the fluidity that I normally like than the sheer explosiveness, the way he generated 90mph pace despite an utterly unremarkable run-up. Simon Jones, to a much lesser extent, was similar.

Such a shame his back didn't stand-up. I've long wondered whether his action was indeed the likely cause of it - guess you'd be as likely as anyone to know?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Upon reading said post, thought "Matthew, I hope". Can't fathom how anyone could actively dislike Ian Bell's batting TBH.
It's just every innings I've seen of his has been so scrappy and the complete opposite of a dominating batsman like a Ponting or a Tendulkar. I really dislike watching it.

Julian87

State Captain
Rubbish actions IMO are unnatural ones and I hate none more than Mitchell Johnson and Shane Watson. Andrew Symonds' is rubbish as well, both as an off spinner and medium pacer.

In saying that, I really like James Hopes' action and James Franklin's.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Like- Lance Klusener, Sinethemba Mjekula, Dale Steyn, Dominic Cork, Waqar Younis, Brett Lee.
Dislike- Andre Nel, Rusty Theron, Johan Botha.

bond21

Banned
every time i see Hopes bowl I feel like giving him a call and saying "get your bloody left arm up higher"

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Like:
- Brett Lee
- Dale Steyn
- Wasim Akram
- Shane Warne
- Chaminda Vaas

Dislike:
- Mervyn Dillon
- Makhaya Ntini
- Shabbir Ahmed
- Steve Harmison
- Mike Procter

FBU

International Debutant

Lee
Steyn
Akhtar
Donald
Anderson
Hilfenhaus

Razzaq and Saj's run to the crease

Not
Johnson's drooping left shoulder as he runs in
Nel's feet when he lands
Malinga, Tait, and Edward's slingly actions
Martin's high leap which reminds me of a poodle
Kabir Ali checking on all his marks as he runs in
Martin Bicknell looking skywards
Simon Jones' lumbering run up
Cork running in with a ****ed wrist

and all the bowlers that have a bent knee

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Like Jacques Kallis's action. Looks to be putting maximum effort to get the ball across as quickly as possible, and the grunt just adds to it. On top of that he swings the ball as well, which I find quite interesting.

Used to love watching Waqar as well. The timing and rhythm in that action was apparent for all to see, and in combination with what was often the end result it provided the most entertaining total package from a bowler I've ever seen.
I love watching Kallis bowl, closely followed by Hoggard.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Like: Simon Jones, Sajid Mahmood (don't laugh)

Dislike: Lasith Malinga, Shoaib Ahktar, Fidel Edwards, Muttiah Muralitharan... Basically anyone who 'chucks' the ball

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant

Lee
Steyn
Akhtar
Donald
Anderson
Hilfenhaus

Razzaq and Saj's run to the crease

Not
Johnson's drooping left shoulder as he runs in
Nel's feet when he lands
Malinga, Tait, and Edward's slingly actions
Martin's high leap which reminds me of a poodle
Kabir Ali checking on all his marks as he runs in
Martin Bicknell looking skywards
Simon Jones' lumbering run up
Cork running in with a ****ed wrist

and all the bowlers that have a bent knee
How can you not like Simon Jones' action, its its very powerful... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GeoxS70CtKM

Isolator

State 12th Man
Ah yes, just remembered one of my most hated actions - Venkatesh Prasad. Just so stupid and irritating it drives one to violence. Liam Plunkett too.

Srinath on the other hand I liked a lot.

edit - oh, no, wait - Andrew Hall's was the worst ever. Not only did he bowl off the wrong foot, he also had a bent arm all the way through. Plus he looked like a twit.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
It's very chuckerful.

Or throwerful.
um....no.

Jones doesnt chuck it, my god can no bowler have a career without being accused to chucking? Doesnt seem like it.

number of people who "officially" chuck it in International cricket - 0

There are 1 or 2 that are lucky to be playing because of their nationality.