• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Bill Brown

archie mac

International Coach
That is sad:-O

One of the nicest men in cricket, yet to read a bad work spoken of the man

RIP

Who is the oldest living Aust. Test cricketer now?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Of all the passings that we have had over this past year, this one saddens me most. Bill Brown was a wonderful cove, benevolent, bighearted and benign. A terrific raconteur, he was more giving of his time as a nonagenarian than most are as twenty-five-year-olds. He spoke as few bitter words of his peers as he did praise of himself. Our last true link to the pre-WWII era, he was always willing to regale interviewers with fresh yarns and canny analyses of the way it was. I shall dearly miss those interviews.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
That is sad:-O

One of the nicest men in cricket, yet to read a bad work spoken of the man

RIP

Who is the oldest living Aust. Test cricketer now?
Ron Hamence who is 92.Only Morriis, Harvey, Hamence and Loxton left of Bradman's Invincibles

readie

State Regular
That is a real shame - always had a positive outlook towards life and to Cricket as well he didnt get caught up in an attitude that everything was better back in his day and seemed welcoming of change and progress in the game tbh

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A great shame, someone who always spoke well and always seemed to have such passion for the game. Will be missed that's for sure.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Farewell, RIP. Wasn't even sure just how he kept alive all these years TBH. :crying:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I met Bill Brown a couple of years ago at the Festival of Cricket in Bowral. He was a lovely bloke - a real gentleman.

In honour of Bill Brown would it be possible to have a regular Bill Brown award for the international cricketer who has demonstrated gentlemanliness (is that a word)?

neville cardus

International Debutant
I met Bill Brown a couple of years ago at the Festival of Cricket in Bowral. He was a lovely bloke - a real gentleman.
You are the second person to whom I have spoken today who had the pleasure of meeting Bill Brown, but the other disagrees somewhat with your assessment: according to him, Brown was a "true gentleman". :)

In honour of Bill Brown would it be possible to have a regular Bill Brown award for the international cricketer who has demonstrated gentlemanliness (is that a word)?
Seconded.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
You are the second person to whom I have spoken today who had the pleasure of meeting Bill Brown, but the other disagrees somewhat with your assessment: according to him, Brown was a "true gentleman". :)
You can add me to that list too. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Brown (along with Mike Coward) at a statue unveiling at the Bradman Museum in Bowral a few years ago. He was a lovely man, humble and polite but with a real twinkle in his eye. Very self deprecating too, particularly in relation to two wonderful stories about his experiences with The Don. I’m going to quote them as best I can…

“I was batting with Don in a Shield match one day. I’d opened the batting and was about 70 when he came in. Don said he wanted me to get my century before the second new ball was taken so he just pushed a few singles here and there to give me the strike while I got on with it. I got my hundred just before the new ball was taken, by which point Don was on about 10 or 11. When I was on 128, he passed me…”

“I remember the first time I batted with Don and I was keen to make a good impression. I played my shots, concentrated extra hard and did all I could to take the quick singles and extra runs on offer, to really impress him. After a few overs we had a mid-wicket chat between overs and he simply said to me ‘It’s Bill, isn’t it?’ ‘Yes Don’ I replied. ‘Well Bill,’ Don went on ‘if you’re going to run then for God’s sake call first!’ “

RIP Bill.