Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Dale Steyn v. Ishant Sharma

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dale Steyn

44 67.69%
  • Ishant Sharma

10 15.38%
  • I voted in this poll therefore I rule!!!

11 16.92%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ishant Sharma v. Dale Steyn

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline

Ishant Sharma v. Dale Steyn

Ok... both have had incredible series of late and bothe are being touted as the pace golden-child in their respective countries and in the spirit of raising awareness to the potential encounters on the cricket field in the near future.

Did I ention that another poll probably couldn't hurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    So far Steyn's obviously accomplished far more. And if Sharma wasn't an Indian seamer, with all the potential pitfalls that involves, I'd back him over Steyn every second of every day, for one crucial reason - the height difference.

Both very young; both have problems with overstepping that seem to be getting better; both more accurate now than they were not so long ago; both get great movement away from the right-hander, though Steyn is the far more skillful swing bowler; both around the same sort of speed out of the hand; and both something of great-white-hope types.

But Sharma has the height that can make such a massive difference, Steyn's shortness will always be a handicap to him. Sharma has such a greater margin-for-error in length, and will be able to get the edges he gets to carry more often with his frame than Steyn.

But I honestly wouldn't want to predict great things for an Indian seamer. We've seen countless ones who appear to have some potential, Munaf Patel the most recent case (right now it might be fair to call Ishant the new Munaf, and Munaf made his debut 2 years ago FFS) but there are always a great many things that can go wrong. So right now, given Steyn's been around for longer and hence done more, I'd go for him.

No rule is without exception, though, and if we're lucky Ishant might just end-up India's greatest-ever seam-bowler. Something I don't hesistate to say is beyond Steyn for South Africa, though that's not entirely fair as clearly Allan Donald >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kapil Dev.

EDIT: YOU GOT A SMILEY IN THE POLL OPTIONS???????????????? How... I never knew this was possible.
    Last edited by Richard; 16-03-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

PUBLIC POLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    z

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Both very young; both have problems with overstepping that seem to be getting better; both more accurate now than they were not so long ago; both get great movement away from the right-hander, though Steyn is the far more skillful swing bowler; Steyn's probably 6-7kph quicker, but that doesn't really make any great difference; and both something of great-white-hope types.
    Well, Steyn must be bowling awfully quick then because Sharma was averaging 145km/h+ and topped 150km/h a few times during the ODI's. From what I've seen of Steyn, I'd say they're both about the same.

I'd back Steyn right now, though. He's done so much more in Tests already. Too early to say who'll be better in the future, though.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Well, Steyn must be bowling awfully quick then because Sharma was averaging 145km/h+ and topped 150km/h a few times during the ODI's. From what I've seen of Steyn, I'd say they're both about the same.
    Yeah? Cripes, whenever I saw Sharma he was 132-135kph or so. Never had a clue he was getting it down that fast.

Will edit the previous post.
    Last edited by Richard; 16-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Seems unbeliavable that he could put on at least 10kph in a matter of months, unless he chose to cut his pace down against Pakistan.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Well I'm backing Corey's ability to read speedgun-readouts TBH. And I didn't watch any of the ODIs live, so I just presumed he was sending 'em down at the same speed in said games as he was in the Tests.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Well I'm backing Corey's ability to read speedgun-readouts TBH. And I didn't watch any of the ODIs live, so I just presumed he was sending 'em down at the same speed in said games as he was in the Tests.
    Yeah it was quite shocking. In the Tests here, he was averaging mid 130's with the occasional ball past 140km/h. Suddenly in the ODI's, he was Waqar Younis. Rarely see such a dramatic turn around.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    It's true.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    At the moment, I would say that Steyn is the better bowler.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Yeah watched the matches as well, am just genuinely amazed he put that much speed on.

Sharma; Steyn has a fruity first name tbh.

Seriously tho, Steyn's about three years into his international career (debuted against us in 04/05 if memory serves) so is further along the road to being the finished article. Sharma looks a considerbaly better bowler at this stage of his career than Steyn did.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Both will end up with 800 test wickets between them

Steyn is a better bowler and is a more accomplished bowler at this stage in my opinion but Sharma has the potential to become a better bowler than Steyn, its a bit difficult to compare them due to the fact they are at different stages of their international career though to be honest.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Both will end up with 800 test wickets between them
    Each tbh.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information