• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in Bangladesh

James

Cricket Web Owner
1st ODI
Mirpur - Mar 18

2nd ODI
Mirpur - Mar 20

3rd ODI
Mirpur - Mar 22

Bangladesh squad
Mohammad Ashraful (capt), Mashrafe Mortaza, Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Aftab Ahmed, Nazimuddin, Shariar Nafees, Shakib Al Hasan, Dhiman Ghosh (wk), Abdur Razzak, Shahadat Hossain, Mahmudullah, Farhad Reza, Raqibul Hasan

Ireland squad
Trent Johnston, William Porterfield, Andre Botha, Alex Cusack, Phil Eaglestone, Thinus Fourie, Gary Kidd, Dave Langford-Smith, Kyle McCallan, Eoin Morgan, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Paul Stirling, Reinhardt Strydom, Greg Thompson

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I rate Ireland at full strength on paper as a better team than Bangladesh. I'm not sure I have enough faith in the batting without Morgan to predict a series victory with any confidence though.

EDIT: No Langford-Smith either. Bangladesh should definitely be favourites.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ireland squad
Trent Johnston, Andre Botha, A Cusack, Phil Eaglestone, T Fourie, G Kidd, Kyle McCallan, Eion Morgan, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Will Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Reinhardt Strydom, G Thompson.
I rate Ireland at full strength on paper as a better team than Bangladesh. I'm not sure I have enough faith in the batting without Morgan to predict a series victory with any confidence though.

EDIT: No Langford-Smith either. Bangladesh should definitely be favourites.
Morgan is playing. But yeah with Langford-Smith their bowling attack looks quite weak. A lot of pressure on Rankin to step up with the bowl.

Will be a pretty even series for mine, 2-1 either way.

A pretty big series in the context of World Cricket though with Rankin and O'Brien being the first ICL players to play Internationals.

Janus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ireland squad
Trent Johnston, Andre Botha, A Cusack, Phil Eaglestone, T Fourie, G Kidd, Kyle McCallan, Eion Morgan, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Will Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Reinhardt Strydom, G Thompson.
That's not very accurate, Rankin Isn't been played as he still hasn't recovered fully from the Injury he got that kept him out of the ICL last year. Langford-smith came in to replace him but has a niggling injury like Johnston and Botha, that kept all three out of the warm-up matches against Abu Dhabi and Essex. But they might be able to play, if they don't we are in trouble.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Morgan to pwn the Bangladesh bowling attack. Any dibs on highest wicket taker? I am tipping Mortaza to find some form.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Morgan to pwn the Bangladesh bowling attack. Any dibs on highest wicket taker? I am tipping Mortaza to find some form.
Fan of Morgan, definitely the most talented batsman on show but from what I have seen of him he may struggle on Bangladeshi wickets. He had an extremely poor World Cup where he failed to come to terms with the slow and low wickets and I don’t suspect much has changed since.

Abdur Razzak to clean up.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rahim actually got dropped from the ODIs against South Africa. Ghosh has already played three ODIs and is the incumbent.
Too many MMSIs to keep up with

Class effort against SA, I see.

Btw, the four Irishmen with only initials in James' post are

Alex Cusack
Gary Kidd
(mar)Thinus Fourie
Greg Thompson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A pretty big series in the context of World Cricket though with Rankin and O'Brien being the first ICL players to play Internationals.
Interesting that the ICC have strangely silent on their presence so far. Looks not unlike a double standard to my eyes.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that the ICC have strangely silent on their presence so far. Looks not unlike a double standard to my eyes.
No one really gives a hoot when its associate players. If it were readily recognisable marketing objects like a star batsman or bowler from a test nation then the ICC would care...

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Should be a very interesting series Irish should win 3-0 to make the Icc change their plans on 14 Team World Cup... come On Ireland...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cant see the Irish winning this. One thing they lack is depth.

Will be a tough ask with injuries against a more experienced team away from home.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No one really gives a hoot when its associate players. If it were readily recognisable marketing objects like a star batsman or bowler from a test nation then the ICC would care...
I don't doubt that at all. It looks like hypocrisy from where I sit.

I'm no legal expert, but it does create a precedent I would have thought & with Chris Read seemingly in something of a litigious mood (from The Times) I doubt we've heard the last of this.

cricman

International 12th Man
Bangladesh really need to win the 3-0, for the Physche of the team. Razzak will clean up on the Mirpuir Pitches.

jeevan

International 12th Man
In a cricinfo article, the chief of cricket Ireland had an explanation in terms of them not really paying their players anything like a cerntral contract (which is different from all the test playing nations) and so they dont have the same employee status for ICC to control their ICL involvement.

While it is hyporcrisy of sorts, the wrong action is to come down this hard on the ICL players. So the hypocritical action of forgiving the 2 Irish players is the right thing and I wouldnt grudge it or make a fuss of it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't doubt that at all. It looks like hypocrisy from where I sit.

I'm no legal expert, but it does create a precedent I would have thought & with Chris Read seemingly in something of a litigious mood (from The Times) I doubt we've heard the last of this.
Yeah, will be interesting how it goes with the precedent being set.