cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 131 years ago today.....

School Boy/Girl Captain Rebecca's Avatar

131 years ago today.....

131 years ago today, the first ever test match was played........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...m_1877_to_1883

I didn't realise some of the first matches had no time limit!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah, most pre-WWI matches in Australia were timeless games. And very often the last game of a series, if the series was not decided, was a timeless one. It was only in 1947 that 5 days became the standard.

On 2 occasions, this resulted in ridiculous games. At Sabina Park in 1930, England and West Indies played on for 9 days. And at Kingsmead in 1938\39, England and South Africa went 1 better. Both games were abandoned as draws as the team had to catch the boat home.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant neville cardus's Avatar
    Sinister mussitations were legion after Australia's maiden 45-run victory. It was believed that England had fixed the match to ensure a big return gate, but I doubt it. Although match-fixing was even then a potent undertide, Lillywhite's men were in no fit state for cricket. "I was simply spun out of myself," recalled Alfred Shaw of the gruelling trip leading up to the Test.

They arrived several days late, without their wicketkeeper, and had almost no time for a breather. Against an Australian line-up which bore such names as Blackham, Garrett, Cooper, the Gregorys, Midwinter, Bannerman, Kendall and Horan, the Englishmen, understrength in both representation and fitness, had little chance.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 15-03-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    "To go to a cricket match for nothing but cricket is as though a man were to go into an inn for nothing but drink." - Neville Cardus
    "What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?" - CLR James

By a return gate do you mean in the next game on that tour Rodders? Or a return game as in one in England?

I mean the second Test -- which England won comfortably, amplifying the sceptics' volume.

Right, yes, thought so - unless I'm much mistaken those games weren't regarded as "Tests" or anything like at the time, though it was was it not the first time an eleven from England had met an eleven from Australia?

Whereas the game in 1880 was regarded as something much more like what we now think of as a Test was it not?

Another thing I presume you'd know which I never have - when was the term "Test match" first used in cricket?

Tests were not acknowledged as Tests at the time, so England in 1876/77 was actually "Lillywhite's Eleven" and Australia the "Combined Australia XI". The Test itself was dubbed the "Grand Combination Match".

The 1880 game was pretty close to fully representative of both nations' cricketing stocks, although Australia (owing to Joseph Franks's diabolical excuse for a bowling action) was without Fred Spofforth and had to make do with the journeyman Billy Moule (who, admittedly, did rather well). The first time that England and Australia really met at fullish strength was at the Oval in 1882.

As far as when the term was first used is concerned, I have done original research of which I am rather too proud to share here. I'll send you an email.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 15-03-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Botheration. There goes another one. What is this unearthly wont that my historical discursives have of killing off perfectly healthy threads? I've half a mind to become a modernistic dullard.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Historical discursives can be made interesting too you know.

Just throwing that out there.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Historical discursives can be made interesting too you know.
    Ah. I'm a historical dullard, then. That's probably the worst type.

Maybe I should swear a bit more.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Maybe you should share your work on when the term "tests" begun to be used in cricket here... That would probably generate some interest and debate.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Maybe you should share your work on when the term "tests" begun to be used in cricket here... That would probably generate some interest and debate.
    Not really. I have merely ascertained that the first Test Match to be called a Test Match was the 1882 affair at the Kennington Oval. The Penny Illustrated of 2 September, in its report, referred to it as "above all others the test match of the season".

Apologies to Richie for forgetting to send this to him.

Some suggest that is was Rugby that first used the term Test
    You know it makes sense.

Ironically, "test match" was first used for cricket before the first Test Match had been played. The term's maiden appearance is in Hammersley's Sands & Kenny's Cricketers Guide for Heathfield Stephenson's pioneering jaunt of 1861/62.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 23-03-2008 at 04:13 AM.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Wonder if no limit tests would work today? I mean I don't think so with a tour being schedule you could seriously **** up the schedule, although it might speed the game up a bit instead of batters just going for the draw when they are losing playing incredibly defensively instead of going out for the win.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information