• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest on the Sledging Issue

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Uthappa and Kumble don't play in the same team mind you.

Hardly needed a new thread for mine.

Hayden vs. Uthappa would be cool though, the battle of the big chested openers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting article, mostly because of an anecdote I heard about Allan Border. When he felt flat, as though he wasn't batting well, he'd just try and pick a fight with someone. If an opposition player walked past, he might just say, "What the **** are you looking at? Show some respect" or something, start up a bit of verbal and he found he batted better when he was in that sort of situation, where the stakes had been raised. Have heard a few times now about Hayden sledging, and it seems to be in a similar manner.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Robin Uthappa has Sir Neville Cardus's seal of approval. He is easily my favourite current Indian cricketer. Give him a Test slot.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think Robin's and India's philosophy is perfectly fine. Don't initiate the sledging but return the favour if your team is being sledged. Indian teams of the past have been far too mild and as a result hardly ever won anything away from home.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting article, mostly because of an anecdote I heard about Allan Border. When he felt flat, as though he wasn't batting well, he'd just try and pick a fight with someone. If an opposition player walked past, he might just say, "What the **** are you looking at? Show some respect" or something, start up a bit of verbal and he found he batted better when he was in that sort of situation, where the stakes had been raised.
Yeah, Michael Atherton sometimes did the same in a domestic match, because he said he occasionally struggled to motivate himself for such games. He also mentioned how they made a decision in 1997 to be completely silent to Stephen Waugh because they (finally) noticed that he thrived on it, in their 3rd series against him since he became a World-class batsman. Waugh, of course, spotted this before long and in the Old Trafford Test, according to Atherton, said "OK, you're not talking to me are you? Right then, I'll talk to myself". And after being given not-out when he was plumb lbw 1st ball he faced in the match, he did, throughout his twin centuries.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, Michael Atherton sometimes did the same in a domestic match, because he said he occasionally struggled to motivate himself for such games. He also mentioned how they made a decision in 1997 to be completely silent to Stephen Waugh because they (finally) noticed that he thrived on it, in their 3rd series against him since he became a World-class batsman. Waugh, of course, spotted this before long and in the Old Trafford Test, according to Atherton, said "OK, you're not talking to me are you? Right then, I'll talk to myself". And after being given not-out when he was plumb lbw 1st ball he faced in the match, he did, throughout his twin centuries.
Interesting article, mostly because of an anecdote I heard about Allan Border. When he felt flat, as though he wasn't batting well, he'd just try and pick a fight with someone. If an opposition player walked past, he might just say, "What the **** are you looking at? Show some respect" or something, start up a bit of verbal and he found he batted better when he was in that sort of situation, where the stakes had been raised. Have heard a few times now about Hayden sledging, and it seems to be in a similar manner.
Pretty poor that, abusing other players just because you aren't playing well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hayden vs. Uthappa would be cool though, the battle of the big chested openers.
Not to mention battle of the hopeleslly-planted-front-foot-and-hence-massive-inswinger-candidate types.

Heck, even C_C made that comparison!

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, find the line that'll get you from getting a stump shoved through your throat and stay one step behind that.

Quite the spirit.

Sir Alex

Banned
Haha, find the line that'll get you from getting a stump shoved through your throat and stay one step behind that.

Quite the spirit.
I don't remember I saw any such "crossing the line" stuff during Taylor's captaincy which is one of the reasons why I admire him so much. For me he embodied the true Aussie spirit. He played the game damn hard but damn fair.