• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of US Cricket

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
As many of you might know, the USACA elections are coming up soon and seem to actually have some substance to the nominees, especially the Ram Varadarajan challenge to the old guard. I'm hopeful that a regime change occurs, but also that whoever is in charge can bring out about much needed organization to US Cricket. Cricinfo has an article about him, and you can check the USA beyond the test world blog for more info http://blogs.cricinfo.com/btw/archives/usa/

Quite a few universities have cricket clubs at the club sports level (a couple notches below varsity sports), and there are a good number of leagues across the nation. I have even heard that cricket clubs are starting up at the high school and middle school levels, all of which is very encouraging.

As a club administrator for my university, I know firsthand the sort of challenges we've faced at a grass-roots level. For one, funding is a big issue, as is facilities and grounds. We don't have a proper pitch to play at, which really detracts from our playing experience. Having qualified coaches and training is also an issue since we are not in the particular regional hot-beds for cricket. Many of these issues could be addressed by a competent national board, which I am very hopeful for as there is a lot of enthusiasm amongst cricket players locally.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what you all think might be in store for the future of the game in the US and how it can improve.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyways, I'm just wondering what you all think might be in store for the future of the game in the US and how it can improve.
haha, when it rains it pours (Ive taken another recent post for an article). This is another topic I have already fleshed out for an article for CWeb.

Its an interesting topic. To be brief, the future isnt great. There are little pockets of good stuff happening but they are completely dwarfed by the incompetance and pettyness existing in the main.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Cricket in the USA will at best turn out as it is currently in Canada: an immigrant sport played by a very small minority. There's simply no point in the ICC trying to expand in the USA because the American sporting psyche appears predisposed towards fast-paced sport and the one niche for the stats-driven, slow-tempo sport that does exist is filled by baseball. It should be best enjoyed by those who have some connection to the game rather than pursued. Baseball hasn't taken off over here, and won't do: we are too entrenched in cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is certainly an immigrant sport but the numbers playing are very substantial. It is a large and nearly invisible sub-culture in the States.

However, increasingly it is getting political weight with politicians and cities building facilities and hosting events.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think that there is promise for cricket in the US in terms of gaining popularity, but it will require good organization from the top. It would be nice for some sort of youth sports system to start, with recreational opportunities to play cricket that are available to the mainstream. I will admit that a venture like this would likely only be successful in places like New York/New Jersey, Texas, California, and Florida.

That said, any place where a successful cricket league exists should be able to create opportunities for youth cricket development and popularization.

A good organization that actually cared about the sport would make it mandatory for member leagus and associations to sponsor youth events, clinics, etc.

adharcric

International Coach
Youth camps and academies are already in place and several universities and high schools have unofficial cricket teams now. The talent is rising but nobody wants to get involved with the USACA. I know some people have been sending talented youth, to Australia for example, to develop a legitimate career in cricket.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah exactly. there is as, Goughy said, pockets of good systems across the nation, but no collective or national structure.

In north carolina, where I go to school, we have 2-3 new university clubs, and one that's been established for a while. I know that there is a lot of university cricket being played in California and in other areas across the nation.

would be awesome to have a national association of college cricket clubs (think NCAA), but that's a long way off for sure. I've heard of some attempt to create a national organization for university cricket clubs, but it is in the beginning stages. Would be great to set up a regional conference from which a national tournament could be played, but that might be overly optimistic.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How do you guys go getting cricket gear in the States and Canada? I've often wondered if you have to buy a lot of stuff on line, import stuff or whether there are some sports stores which carry the gear.
I mean, if you have to go online or have someone buy you a bat overseas, I'd not really like that - would prefer to choose a bat myself.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you guys go getting cricket gear in the States and Canada? I've often wondered if you have to buy a lot of stuff on line, import stuff or whether there are some sports stores which carry the gear.
I mean, if you have to go online or have someone buy you a bat overseas, I'd not really like that - would prefer to choose a bat myself.
Nah here in Toronto, which is pretty much where 60-70 percent of the quality cricket in Canada exists, there are many South Asian stores/areas where you can purchase top quality equipment. But a lot of it is quite expensive and that's why I choose to get about 25-30 percent of my equipment from India.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cheers mate.
Do you have family/ friends you get to purchase it in India or do you get it online? Just wondering, coz I know that choosing gear for me is something I wouldn't like others doing, coz I know what I like in bats, pads, etc.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Cheers mate.
Do you have family/ friends you get to purchase it in India or do you get it online? Just wondering, coz I know that choosing gear for me is something I wouldn't like others doing, coz I know what I like in bats, pads, etc.
Well most of it comes from if someone from India is coming over to visit, or someone from here that I know is returning from their trip (family/friends) I ask them to pick it up for me, or even when I make a trip to India myself (which happens to be every other summer or so). My uncle's friend owns a large cricket store in Mumbai, so I get quite a few discounts as well. But yeah I know what you mean, I don't like having bats, pads, etc. being picked by someone else either. That's why it's mainly balls, stumps, etc. I purchase from there. 70-75 percent of it I purchase from stores here.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
unfortunately, we don't have any local stores or anything to purchase equipment from. we are pretty much forced to order our equipment from online stores. its not the ideal situation, and I would definitely prefer to go to a store and make purchasing decisions there. Not to mention, shipping and handling can be ridiculous - as much as 20-25% of the total cost for some purchases.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How do you guys go getting cricket gear in the States and Canada? I've often wondered if you have to buy a lot of stuff on line, import stuff or whether
In Philadelphia, its a bit hard. You can buy some stuff in New Jersey, but some has to be ordered online or from Canada.

Becoming NCAA affiliated would be the biggest possible positive development in US cricket.
Oh man, that would be awesome. Me, with my fat ass, can actually put down that I'm an official athlete in a NCAA tournament. :p

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
I guess I am reviving this thread because I just read an article on Allen Stanford and twenty20 cricket in Time Magazine (a major news magazine in the US). Here is the article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1821658,00.html

I personally think t20 is the only way forward for US cricket. Americans have too much of a fix on instant gratification for longer formats to succeed. Plus, if there is more money on offer for players, it is going to be more attractive to people who want to make a career out of it.

If we look at some of the teams like Canada, UAE, Hong Kong etc. all the players representing them are from subcontinent. I think largest number of Indians and Pakistanis resdie in USA. If their Govt. take a little interest, they can win the ICC championship of the non test playing countries. USA can invest a lot if they take interest and a lot of emerging and even established players would love to move there and this can provide an initial platform to the USA. If they make a good structure, i think its not impossible for a huge country to develop a good cricket team in 10-20 years.

As many of you might know, the USACA elections are coming up soon and seem to actually have some substance to the nominees, especially the Ram Varadarajan challenge to the old guard. I'm hopeful that a regime change occurs, but also that whoever is in charge can bring out about much needed organization to US Cricket. Cricinfo has an article about him, and you can check the USA beyond the test world blog for more info http://blogs.cricinfo.com/btw/archives/usa/

Quite a few universities have cricket clubs at the club sports level (a couple notches below varsity sports), and there are a good number of leagues across the nation. I have even heard that cricket clubs are starting up at the high school and middle school levels, all of which is very encouraging.

As a club administrator for my university, I know firsthand the sort of challenges we've faced at a grass-roots level. For one, funding is a big issue, as is facilities and grounds. We don't have a proper pitch to play at, which really detracts from our playing experience. Having qualified coaches and training is also an issue since we are not in the particular regional hot-beds for cricket. Many of these issues could be addressed by a competent national board, which I am very hopeful for as there is a lot of enthusiasm amongst cricket players locally.

Keep your hopes alive dude. Don't look at the people who are discouraging you. It always happens to the pioneers. Contribute as much as you can.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Oh man, that would be awesome. Me, with my fat ass, can actually put down that I'm an official athlete in a NCAA tournament. :p
Oh God that would be a huge step forward for cricket in the US. On a related note, what the hell happened to the MLC?

Last edited:

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
pretty sure that it folded, haven't heard anything. that's the league that proposed 5 ball overs right?

i think they wanted to bring cricket to a more mainstream audience, but the way forward would definitely be to get it on ESPN here in the states. They did televise asia cup matches on ESPN 360, but hardly anyone has access to it. Next T20 world cup, IPL, or whatever t20 tournament ought to get some sort of airplay on one of the ESPN networks...can't stand to watch poker or rock paper scissors competition on espn any longer!