• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not Happy Jan

Flem274*

123/5
Johnathan Millmow
The continual whining for x to be selected after a loss, as though they're the solution to everything.
The calls for Fleming/McMillan to be dropped after a loss
James Marshall
The horrific loss of form of Hamish Marshall
The crappy inddor practice facilities "hey guys, lets practice fast bowling all winter on concrete surfaces" geez, I wonder why we get ****loads of injured players

JBMAC

State Captain
1. The obvious failure of West Indies Cricket
2. Mugabe stopping Zimbabwe Cricket on race grounds
3. The failure of England to rebuild
4. The attitude of Ponting to the Captaincy
5. The betting on various aspects of Cricket
6. Too much made of "chuckers".If they are tested and cleared let it rest.

Precambrian

Banned
Just one axe to grind:

The decline of the Perth wicket. Shambles that the most result-heavy pitch in Australia is eviscerated for the sake of five day's worth of ticket sales.
The average runs per wicket there has been 33 for the last 10 years is almost same as the overall runs per wicket of 32 since test cricket began to be played here. Also the result summary in the last 10 years is as:

Matches ended in 3 days : 4
Matches ended in 4 days : 2
Matches ended with Win/Loss on 5th day :2
Draw :2

PN - The last time, India beat Australia in 4 days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lack of attendance in domestic matches, even the premier events. (C'mon just bus some schoolkids to these matches for their school picnic/field trips, ffs).
That's nothing unique to India, it's the same anywhere in the cricket World.

Precambrian

Banned
Yep. I think the domestic and youth format are quite OK considering the scale and reach. (And youth system has been doing very well for the last 10 years). However it could still be marketed well. It's a pity when my 12 yr old nephew dashes off to catch Tigers Vs Bushrangers Final on Star Cricket here in India, and doesnt know what is the name of the premier One Day Domestic Tournament in India.

If only Mr. Moronjon Shah and his cronies at BCCI could devote 1% of the IPL Budget to improving the visibililty and infrastructure of these tournaments. Then an ICL wouldnt have been there in the first place.

Precambrian

Banned
1. Ground facilities in India - The only ground that "respects" spectators is Mohali, the others are a ground, a fence and giant concrete steps inverted on top of each other. Frankly, You wont really fault the Indian crowd for rioting etc if you give regard to the torture they've been put to by the Cricket Administrators. When the team also adds to that, it crosses the Boiling point.

2. Dew in day night matches - That has been a real show-dimmer for a long time now amd is said to give the chasing teams an unfair advantage by mitigating "spin". There are scientific methods now available to counter the effect of dew on the ball.

3. Stop giving "Karodes (crores)" to "Quick-bang-thank-you-maam" performances. The orgy of this orgy reached its climax when Yuvraj Singh was awarded a whole Rs. 1 Crore ($2.5 Mio) for slogging 6 sixes in that 20-20 competition. Agreed, it was entertainment, fun. But what value it added to cricket? OK, put another way, what value it added than Kumble's record 600 wicket one-man act on bat friendly conditions? Or Tendulkar's untiring 25 K plus International runs which is the single most important factor for why Indian Cricket is where it is today, in terms of wealth as well as performance, atleast battingwise? It's like the beggining of the Dotcom Boom. Tons of Bucks. Dunno how to Spend. So throw. Warning. Some of these will rebound as real bricks in the near future.

4. Tendulkar bashing - Media's favorite sport after selectors-lynching on the Ganguly issue. He's taken as the remaining pin to be felled in the way of a "resurgent" India. Yet the "yet-wet-behind-the-ears" team take refuge behind him nuder a crisis or a tough stage. Still accounts for a ton of runs in ODIs, and performed like a champ in the Test matches Down Under. Harby who averaged almost his average in the bowling dept gets more newsprint. But the old man never sulks. In the ODIs, bit of bad luck. hit wicket, inside edge, bad LBW, and suddenly the critics are at him, "Chuck him like the way you chucked Ganguly, Oh Selectors" "The elephant in the room noone wants to talk about". "Underperformer in the Finals" (Lolz, he had at that time an avg of 49 in finals, now 52). Simple thing, the media no more sees Sachin as a human being."It" is a machine, "bound" to make runs, "under all conditions", against all teams, with no riders attached. Bit of extreme worship becoming hate.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I suggest you re-read the chapter titled A Cabal at the MCC. The MCC had sent a letter to the SACA asking for clarification of its position with regards to D'Oliveira touring, but acting on the advice of Sir Alec Douglas-Home, Gubby Allen (the then Treasurer) actually refused to accept the reply to avoid the possibility of awkward questions being asked were its contents presented to the full commitee.

It was an over-simplification on my part to say the MCC connived with the Apartheid regime; it's more accurate to say influential factions within the MCC connived with proxy agents of the SA regime. Not an episode that reflects well on English cricket tho.
And entirely in keeping with English cricket's previous attitudes towards SA - the treatment of Laker after he wrote about his experiences there on one of the 1950's tours, the dropping of Duleep after SA complaints about his presence in the side, etc.

Other than that, a bit like Goughy really:
- the general mediocrity and willingness to settle for same
- the level of stupidity in dealing with the above

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't India need that many to try and maximise the massive numbers who play?
No. Massive number of players don't in fact play cricket at a level that would warrant so many FC teams. If you only use a simple criteria that only people who have ever played with a real cricket ball in real life are counted, the # of players is probably equivalent to England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That low? Blimey.

Are there actual figures for this, or is that just a guesstimate on your part?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just one axe to grind:

The decline of the Perth wicket. Shambles that the most result-heavy pitch in Australia is eviscerated for the sake of five day's worth of ticket sales.
Not disputing your choice, but I think I read a report when we toured last winter that the earth from some dried riverbed that the curator used to make the pitches out of was now exhausted? Pretty sure it was the WACA the article referred to, anyway.

neville cardus

International Debutant
1. Hansiegate.
2. The D'Oliveira Affair.
3. The exclusion of Roro (and many others) from top-flight cricket.
4. The Hendricks affair.
5. The "chokers" tag.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
OK, I'll fly the Bangladeshi flag again...

1. General inability to be competitive. Frustratingly so. Why do we only turn up when it doesn't matter? Why can we hammer South Africa then lose to Ireland? Why does the batting lineup show up once in a blue moon?

2. Lack of really competitive domestic cricket. Anyone who moans about the county game should count themselves lucky.

3. The average height of a Bangladeshi, which just isn't condusive to Test cricket.

Not too many complaints regarding actual 'events', although I suppose there is the embarrassment of Ashraful taking a wicket with a double-bouncer, Alok Kapali denying Gibbs a fourth (?) straight ODI ton by bowling a deliberate wide.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
OK, I'll fly the Bangladeshi flag again...

1. General inability to be competitive. Frustratingly so. Why do we only turn up when it doesn't matter? Why can we hammer South Africa then lose to Ireland? Why does the batting lineup show up once in a blue moon?

2. Lack of really competitive domestic cricket. Anyone who moans about the county game should count themselves lucky.

3. The average height of a Bangladeshi, which just isn't condusive to Test cricket.

Not too many complaints regarding actual 'events', although I suppose there is the embarrassment of Ashraful taking a wicket with a double-bouncer, Alok Kapali denying Gibbs a fourth (?) straight ODI ton by bowling a deliberate wide.
Hahahahaha, that's just plain evil :laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I will confine this to things from my lifetime as I'm no historian on English cricket...

1. Drunken yobs at the cricket. This really spoils live viewing for me. If I need a load of drunken men shouting and leering at any woman that walks past I can go into town on a Saturday night.
2. People's general refusal to praise good performances by non-English players.
3. The lack of racial integration in grass roots cricket, I think this is really sad. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, I've seen/heard horrible things from people of a number of different races at club level.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I will confine this to things from my lifetime as I'm no historian on English cricket...
1. Drunken yobs at the cricket. This really spoils live viewing for me. If I need a load of drunken men shouting and leering at any woman that walks past I can go into town on a Saturday night.
Or Grahamstown, at any time of the day.