• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question about the name of a shot

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I was playing in the nets today and I hit a ball into cover. I was on one knee whhen I hit it. I wanted to know does this shot have a special name or is it just a cover drive?

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I've always thought the cover drive was my best looking shot but when you go down on one knee it looks so much better

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I've always thought the cover drive was my best looking shot but when you go down on one knee it looks so much better
In Yorkshire nets I played the shot, the coach walked down and said "Tha gets down on one knee once in your life and you had better have a ring"

Never played the shot since :)

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In Yorkshire nets I played the shot, the coach walked down and said "Tha gets down on one knee once in your life and you had better have a ring"
What does this mean ? :unsure:

BTW, I saw this shot being played in a Test by Aamer Sohail in England, and the commentators went into raptures describing it. I suppose being a lefty adds to the elegance.

bond21

Banned
I had no clue what that meant goughy before you cleared it up.

I have never heard or seen the word "Tha" anywhere, and I thought for a second you were talking about getting knocked down in boxing with the ring bit.

btw what does "Tha" mean, is it slang for something?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I had no clue what that meant goughy before you cleared it up.

I have never heard or seen the word "Tha" anywhere, and I thought for a second you were talking about getting knocked down in boxing with the ring bit.

btw what does "Tha" mean, is it slang for something?
"Tha" = Northern English dialect for you

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Tha" = terminology used by pretty much everyone who has ever "scripted" the Yorkshire\Lancashire\Humberside accent.

It has no place in Geordie script, however. None whatsoever.

Precambrian

Banned
In the second final of the CB series, Sachin Tendulkar played some "unorthodox" shots. One of them was of a Mitchell Johnson short of a good length delivery outside off stump, Tendulkar sort of half drove, half glided the ball between the gully and point and timed it so well it beat third man square to the fence. There was little follow through. The initial reaction from the commentators was (Ian Chappel, Harsha Bhogle - Star Network) that it was an outside edge. But replays showed the bat was angled in the exact direction, the ball was middled, and the batsman was facing the direction the ball went, and Ian Chappel said that was a deliberate shot. Wonder what the shot is called, Cut-drive?