• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline. (Leg theory)

bodyline

• Brilliant initiative.

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Disgracefull moment in cricketing history.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I pity the foo!!

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Rules are there to be exploited, it was a great piece of tactical genius, it is a shame that the lack of helmets and covered pitches made it unfeasible.

Redbacks

International Captain
How about you change the poll to do you support Australia. You could expect the same result.

Although i'm pretty sure the Indians didn't appreciate leg theory either. The English always had moral high ground that they played the game like Gentlemen yet the Australians were ruthless, but they had to push the boundry of sportsmanship to win the series. No longer would anyone believe the English always place honour before victory. Values they so proudly preached

archie mac

International Coach
It would have ruined the game, no drives and only cuts when you backed away from the wicket.

I still wonder what would have happened if the Aussies had given it back to the Englishman?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was poor form from those responsible to use the tactic - the fact that the rules were changed to prevent it shortly afterwards says everything.

That said, cricket history would be infinitely less interesting had it not happened.

Public polls, cdm, FFS!

cover drive man

International Captain
It was poor form from those responsible to use the tactic - the fact that the rules were changed to prevent it shortly afterwards says everything.

That said, cricket history would be infinitely less interesting had it not happened.

Public polls, cdm, FFS!

Although we would hear a lot more about the underarm incident and other incidents.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why was it? They did what it took to silence Bradman.
Yes, and being legal (due to inattentive Law-making) didn't make it right. You could do what it took to silence batsmen ATT by bowling Beamers at them - wouldn't make that right if it was legal, either.

Leg-theory is(\was) a tactic that was too easy to execute for the bowlers, meaning without a great deal of effort from the bowlers run-scoring could be made not a million miles short of realistically impossible.

Teams have been accused of killing the game by applying off-theories, FFS - and full outside off with 8 on the off is nothing compared to short on leg with 7 or 8 men behind square on leg.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Leg-theory is(\was) a tactic that was too easy to execute for the bowlers, meaning without a great deal of effort from the bowlers run-scoring could be made not a million miles short of realistically impossible.
Thats just plain uninformed.

The key to the success of leg theory was the accuracy of Larwood just as much as his pace. Without that accuracy it would have failed.

In fact you read and analyse the Bodyline series and the need for accuracy is the essential.

It was actually a tough thing to bowl well.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, and being legal (due to inattentive Law-making) didn't make it right. You could do what it took to silence batsmen ATT by bowling Beamers at them - wouldn't make that right if it was legal, either.

Teams have been accused of killing the game by applying off-theories, FFS - and full outside off with 8 on the off is nothing compared to short on leg with 7 or 8 men behind square on leg.
Captains are there to employ tactics to win, it was not a negative tactic, it was forcing the pace of the game. It was within the administrator's job to stop it and they did. Just because something is wrong, doesn't mean it is not right. (That sounded more poignant in my head).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, Goughy's on the money here. "Leg theory" had been are for at least a couple of decades before 32/33, but it was only the pace and accuracy of Larwood & Voce that turned it into what was called "Bodyline".

Moreover, the two most serious injuries happened when Larwood was bowling to conventional fields anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The injuries are beside the point - injuries have always happened throughout cricket history, especially on uneven, lively pitches like that Adelaide one.
Thats just plain uninformed.

The key to the success of leg theory was the accuracy of Larwood just as much as his pace. Without that accuracy it would have failed.

In fact you read and analyse the Bodyline series and the need for accuracy is the essential.

It was actually a tough thing to bowl well.
I'm aware of the need for accuracy, but bowling accurately in the areas they were aiming at is far, far easier than bowling in areas which are "good" with a conventional field. The margin-for-error in leg-theory areas is considerable. The ability to use that field made bowling too easy.

It's not a tactic any fool could bowl, but when bowled by a pretty decent bowler it made the game an uneven contest.

At Larwood and Voce's speed it also made things dangerous, but as I say to DB - danger is and always has been a part of cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm aware of the need for accuracy, but bowling accurately in the areas they were aiming at is far, far easier than bowling in areas which are "good" with a conventional field. The ability to use that field made bowling too easy.

It's not a tactic any fool could bowl, but when bowled by a pretty decent bowler it made the game an uneven contest.
As I said before. That is wrong.

It was certainly dangerous and in that regard I dont mind it being outlawed. But to do it effectively required far more accuracy than a conventional field.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More accuracy?

How so?

The areas they were aiming at - and could bowl dot-balls, and threatening balls, in - was far, far larger than the area you could do the same with a conventional field.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The injuries are beside the point - injuries have always happened throughout cricket history, especially on uneven, lively pitches like that Adelaide one.

At Larwood and Voce's speed it also made things dangerous, but as I say to DB - danger is and always has been a part of cricket.
I'm not altogether sure what your objection is then, if not for the safety of the batsmen?

More accuracy?

How so?

The areas they were aiming at - and could bowl dot-balls, and threatening balls, in - was far, far larger than the area you could do the same with a conventional field.
Well, with only a mid-off and a cover on the off-side, if the bowler erred from a leg-stump line he'd be cut away with impunity. Leg thoery was devised as a defensive gambit initially, but for it to be so the bowler has to be accurate.