• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Bulbeck

Why Isn't Matt Bulbeck Playing?

• He is injured

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • He has annoyed management

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • He's not impressing the coaches

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • He has decided to join the circus

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
I note with interest that several national papers as well as the Cricketer mag have Matt Bulbeck as the player to watch this year. Thats gonna be pretty tough as he hasn't even played a warm-up yet. So where is the zippy left-armer? banished or bandaged??

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I think he's had an injury recently. I saw him warm up against Loughborough - he looked a bit tender when bowling and careful with his action, but that's just an observation.

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Circus?

Are you sure? I swear I heard somewhere he was off to join the circus :lol:

I hope he gets fit as he offers useful variation. He will have a hell of fight to lpay though now as Francis is in the zone and doing very well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If he was injured I think Somerset would say something about it! He warmed up against Loughborough, i doubt he would be out there getting his muscles cold if he was injured ..

I think he has unimpressed the coaches, although I cant understand why he hasnt got a game

JAB

Cricket Spectator
from the somerset site regarding a second XI game on the 16th of april:

'there was no luck for Matt Bulbeck who left the field injured after bowling five overs this morning'

it doesn't say what the injury was, or how serious it was so it maight not be the reason that he is not playing at the moment, but the fact that before every day of the game against durham they've had pretty much all the other bowlers on the staff bowling in the nets, i suspect that he is still struggling with some injury.

If this is the case then get well soon matt!

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Definitely injured....

Though we'd all reached the same conclusion, Matt Bulbeck must be injured as today against Durham Dynamos was a chance he'd normally get to play. No Johnson or McLean so Somerset have turned to Gareth Andrew - a youngster from the Academy who is getting his debut in the first game. Bold move by Somerset.....

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Just got this off the forum on the Somerset website:
Grockle
The information I have gleaned (I'm not allowed to ask anyone officially by order of the management) is that he has a reoccurance of the back problem from last year. It is real sad because we all thought he was over that. The fact that he hasn't been seen in the Academy - school or gym - tends to suggest that if this isn't the case then something serious is wrong. The jungle drums are quicker than the official word but I expect we shall hear soon.
:( :(

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poll

Regarding the poll, circus acts aside it was meant seriously as the club haven't mentioned Bulbeck yet at all which is a little odd. The claim that its based on fact not opinion is all very well but as no one is supplying fact then all that is left is our opinion!! Touché!!

I also take Langeveldt's point about the Queen of Sheba!! This 7 wkt drubbing shows what might happen if we lose either/or McLean/Johnson to long term injury. Our batting is as fragile as balsa wood at present.

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
People Power

Having instigated a debate and poll about Mr Bulbeck, it seems a coincidence there is the story Anna's given the link for now on the official site. Congratulations to users of Somerset Talk for nudging the club into comment :D