Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in India

ret

*Unofficial* Ind vs RSA thread :p

the Ind vs RSA test series is set to begin in March, below is the itinerary:

Tour Match v India A at Mumbai (BS) - Mar 20-23, 2008
    Match scheduled to begin at 10:00 local time (04:30 GMT)

1st Test v India at Chennai - Mar 26-30, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

2nd Test v India at Ahmedabad - Apr 3-7, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

3rd Test v India at Kanpur - Apr 11-15, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

source - cricinfo

Ind is playing at two of its fav grounds i.e. at A'bad and Kanpur, while Chennai has been good for Ind too, esp for Sachin

As for the playing X1, i guess Ind should play Pathan as the bowling all-rounder, along with 4 bowlers and that would bring more balance to the side. Pathan should bat at #7

Pathan batting at 7 would mean that some of the guys just move up the order. the selection for fast bowlers should be interesting with Zak, Ishant, RP, Sree and Munaf [if fit] fighting for the two spots. And it will also be interesting to see who is going to be the spinning partner for Kumble. will the continue with Bhajji or get someone like Chawla in [which would mean having two leggies]

Below is my preferred X1 for the Ist test at Chennai

top order ----> Sehwag, Dravid and Ganguly
    middle order ----> Tendulkar and Laxman
    lower order -----> Dhoni and Pathan
    fast bowlers ----> 2 from Zak, Ishant, RP, Sree and Munaf
    spinners ----> Kumble and Chawla / Bhajji / ?

ofc, Laxman and Ganguly can swap places, if they wish

cheers

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Still a while to go. If he is healthy, Zaheer has to play, absolutely. Sharma is hard to sit down. So maybe Pathan has to sit out with RP, Sharma and Zaheer. We have five pace bowlers of decent quality, six if you count Munaf, who knew? Thankfully two of them are always hurt, so its out of the hands of the selectors most of the time .
    Last edited by silentstriker; 24-02-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

ret
    Pathan has been in terrific form of late, i would definately play him as the bowling all-rounder batting at #7 and coming on as the Ist change in bowling. he lends a good balance to the side, i.e. an option of having 5 bowlers, along with 7 batters

IMO, Pathan is much better option than someone like Yuvraj who is on and off. Against OZ, it was a good chance for Yuv to seal a test spot but i guess he blew it. now may be his best chances are when one of the big 4 retires or goes through a bad patch in tests

cheers

I think the opposition needs to be taken into context a bit here for India. You're playing against South Africa in the subcontinent - you should definitely be looking at play two spinners where possible. I'm not sold on the idea of five bowlers against South Africa as their bowling is much better than their batting at the moment, but it probably makes sense to pick Pathan at 7 if you're going to play two spinners.

The flip side of that is who you have to leave out to do so. Jaffer would probably have to get the flick in order for Pathan to play as an allrounder, and he's an awesome opening batsman in Indian conditions so it'd be very harsh. Likewise with the dropping of RP Singh in order to play Harbhajan/Powar/whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    IMO, Pathan is much better option than someone like Yuvraj who is on and off. Against OZ, it was a good chance for Yuv to seal a test spot but i guess he blew it. now may be his best chances are when one of the big 4 retires or goes through a bad patch in tests
    I agree about Yuvraj, but he isn't really who Pathan would be competing with. India would have to drop Jaffer or Ganguly to play him as an allrounder, and both of those moves would be quite harsh.

All in all, there are several possible lineups I wouldn't really argue against, and that's quite a good thing for India in general.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Yuvi in India is a whole different proposition to him overseas. Has to be taken into consideration for the series.

ret
    I m not too impressed with Jaffar .... on some other forum, I had said that this guy is going to hit 100s on the flat tracks in Ind and against the depleted Pak attack then be on the plane to OZ and do nothing .... his 100s against Pak were more like a curse than boon to Ind cricket

you can read that on my blog below

anshusays.blogspot

As for opening, I would open with Dravid & Sehwag. usually Dravid is in the ist 5 overs or so, so it's only logical that he moves one step up rather than opening with some make shift opener .... Laxman or Ganguly can come in at 3 and that automatically creates place for Pathan at #7, which also means that Ind can play additional 4 bowlers, i.e. someone like Ishant, RP, along with Kumble and Bhajji/?

cheers

I m not too impressed with Jaffar .... on some other forum, I had said that this guy is going to hit 100s on the flat tracks in Ind and against the depleted Pak attack then be on the plane to OZ and do nothing .... his 100s against Pak were more like a curse than boon to Ind cricket

you can read that on my blog below

anshusays.blogspot

As for opening, I would open with Dravid & Sehwag. usually Dravid is in the ist 5 overs or so, so it's only logical that he moves one step up rather than opening with some make shift opener .... Laxman or Ganguly can come in at 3 and that automatically creates place for Pathan at #7, which also means that Ind can play additional 4 bowlers, i.e. someone like Ishant, RP, along with Kumble and Bhajji/?

cheers
    India will be playing South Africa on flat tracks in India though; not the bouncy pitches in Australia.

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    India will be playing South Africa on flat tracks in India though; not the bouncy pitches in Australia.
    which means that Ind's batting will do good anyways [don't need Jaffar for that] .... and it would use 5 bowlers to bowl out RSA

on flat tracks, the reverse swing also comes into play so i would definitely consider playing 3 quicks, along with two spinners .... as i mentioned earlier, by having Pathan, Ind not only gets the 3rd seamer but also a lower order batsman

cheers
    Last edited by ret; 24-02-2008 at 08:22 PM.

the Ind vs RSA test series is set to begin in March, below is the itinerary:

Tour Match v India A at Mumbai (BS) - Mar 20-23, 2008
    Match scheduled to begin at 10:00 local time (04:30 GMT)

1st Test v India at Chennai - Mar 26-30, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

2nd Test v India at Ahmedabad - Apr 3-7, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

3rd Test v India at Kanpur - Apr 11-15, 2008 (10:00 local, 04:30 GMT)

source - cricinfo

cheers
    The 'A' game has been cancelled, the South Africans players decided against it and opted for a few days longer back home. Coach, Mickey Arthur was not overly ecstatic by their decision but Graeme Smith effectively runs the side and what he says goes.

Below is my preferred X1 for the Ist test at Chennai

top order ----> Sehwag, Dravid and Ganguly
    middle order ----> Tendulkar and Laxman
    lower order -----> Dhoni and Pathan
    fast bowlers ----> 2 from Zak, Ishant, RP, Sree and Munaf
    spinners ----> Kumble and Chawla / Bhajji / ?

ofc, Laxman and Ganguly can swap places, if they wish

cheers
    I can see why this unofficial.

I know you've said they can swap places, they MUST swap places. I think Jaffer is unlucky. Sure he didn't do anything against Australia, but he was sublime at home before Australia.

Also, why do you name sides like this (putting players into groups) all the time? I didn't mind it when you did it in the Twenty20, but in Test Cricket it just looks ordinary.

Calling Dhoni and Phani as lower order is

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Haha, WTF, Phani?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Simon Champion!
    I would drop harbhajan and play amit mishra instead.
    Harbhajan has not looked wicketaking in tests for a while now.

Bhajji will probably get another go now that we're back in the subcontinent. He needs to step up or we have other options - Mishra, Chawla, Ojha to name a few.

Simon Champion!
    Even against pakistan he was not looking that good.
    I really want mishra to be given his chance or even ojha.Chawla atm does not look ready for test cricket.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    They would prefer 5 bowlers.... But Rahul hates to open and Pathan opening is juz meh.... It will be interesting to see what combination India goes in with... None of them will be screaming out bad, but there is no real "best" combination yet either.. Not sure if it is that good for a side when they don't know what is their "best" combination..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information