• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Test Cricket is the Greatest Game of All

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
There can be no other sport compared to Test Cricket for its Drama,what other game has so many twists and turns? What other game goes for five days? What other game can be seen headed for a draw, and then in a space of five minutes, totally turns around the other 22 hours of Play.

There is one day left of the New Zealand Versus England First Test Match, for four days it seemed headed for a draw, with only the slightest possibility of a New Zealand Win, then in a space of nine balls, England turned the game on its head, with a hat trick to SideBottom.

The public watched New Zealand go from 99/1 to 119/7, thanks to what would have to be one of the best fielding display by any English side in the History of the Game and perhaps any team. The catches they took, were beyond belief, The New Zealand batsman were shell shocked, and now we are left in position of, no one knows what is going to happen, this test match that was Dead, this match, which at one stage some had the Bookies offering odds of 35/1 for a English win, could now see that come true. This match that has captured the Cricket world's intention.

So where are we, with a days play left, New Zealand has a led of 269 with only two wickets left, a likely seranio sees, England chasing 280 odd off of 75 overs, they of course will be positive at the start, and we will wait and see, but if New Zealand gets a couple of early wickets, then who knows???, and of course there is always a change that the wicket will have the final say.

This is why people love test cricket, it doesn't happen too offer that a dead match comes back to life, but when it does, its the best Sport in the world.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
The concept, the look and elegance of Test cricket have no comparison in sports today. And more often than not it can be epic as well.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I was walkin' down the street
Concentratin' on truckin' right
I heard a dark voice beside of me
And I looked round in a state of fright
I saw four faces one mad
A brother from the gutter
They looked me up and down a bit
And turned to each other

I say
I don't like cricket oh no
I love it
I don't like cricket oh no
I love it

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was walkin' down the street
I was walking, down a one-wa-ay street,
Just a-looking, for someone to meet
O-one woman, who was looking fo-o-o-or a ma-a-a-an.

Now I'm hoping, that the feeling is right,
And I'm wondering if you'll stay for the night,
So I'm coming, I don't want to be lonely, baby, please tell me

I want to love you all over

Sorry, As, but when you keep bringing-up these average songs I must put better ones out there.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
It isnt.

There have been upto 5 times the original number. That shows expansion.

If a country wants to play Test cricket the way isnt barred. Its simple, get good.
10 countris over a century wow...:laugh:

Anyway its not that simple as there are loads of countries who want to get good but their efforts tend to get laughed down or ignored...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
10 countris over a century wow...:laugh:

Anyway its not that simple as there are loads of countries who want to get good but their efforts tend to get laughed down or ignored...
There isnt. Their efforts are ignored because they are not very good. There isnt the participation, interest or ability to create quality cricket teams outside the core nations.

Id love to see them develop and have more Test teams, but its a long way from happening. Not because of ICC policy but the other Countries are not very good.

Im big on hoping the game expands, but Ive also got realistic appraisals of the situation

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This article was written after 2005 Ashes - sums up my thoughts beautifully.

But above all, by playing out the series of their lives, they have dignified our beautiful game and furnished the most emphatic and compelling argument in favour of Test cricket. Cricket does not need to clothe itself in superficiality to remain attractive and relevant. What it really needs is to maintain its standards. The appeals of cricket are unique, and Test cricket, undoubtedly the highest form of the game, grows on you slowly. But played at a high level, it showcases cricket's central appeal. It is futile for cricket to try to appeal to all.

Cricket will never be football; for all of the ICC's expansionist ideas, it will never spread to 100 countries. It's a game that reveals itself in layers, it's a game that demands commitment and not fleeting indulgence. And, as this series has demonstrated, Test cricket, when it's a real contest, can keep large audiences thoroughly absorbed for days. What it cannot afford, however, is trivialisation and mis-matches.

What cruel irony it is to watch India and Sri Lanka engage themselves against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh immediately after we had been indulged by a series that bordered on the divine. Watching Muttiah Muralitharan torment clueless Bangladeshi batsmen on a raging turner, or Irfan Pathan smile away to a five-wicket haul against Zimbabwe, is a hollow and dispiriting experience.

On the second day of the India-Zimbabwe Test, we were treated to a television interview with Pathan on the occasion of his 50th Test wicket. It has rarely been beyond television channels to invent occasions, but consider the shallowness of this one: of his 50 wickets in 13-and-a-half Tests, 23 have come in two-and-half Tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Pathan is a swing bowler with promise, but let's get real: his six wickets against Australia in four Tests have cost 72.33 and despite his success in Pakistan, his 18 wickets against them have come at 41.77. For the moment, his career figures merely deceive.

The complexity of its format and its length are often held out to question the congruity of Test cricket in the contemporary world. But that's missing the point. Cricket's real allure is centred on its format. The real threat comes from reducing it to a charade. It's a miracle that a smattering of the faithful still turn up at games which shame the very concept of a contest. But Test cricket cannot afford to test the patience and loyalty of its followers. Are we expected to care for this tripe? Can we bring ourselves to?

Redbacks

International Captain
The immigration of Indians and Pakistanis will help to grow the game overseas. There are alot of cricket followers in the US, but do they want to play the game or just support their countries of origin?

rama_v

Cricket Spectator
The immigration of Indians and Pakistanis will help to grow the game overseas. There are alot of cricket followers in the US, but do they want to play the game or just support their countries of origin?
They love the game so they play it. While watching they will support their home country but if someone actually goes on to play for the USA, obviously that player's backers will support the USA. Just like the Indian-heritage players in England.