• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the quickest left armer?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing Mitchell Johnson producing those deliveries at 150k kept me thinking whether I am looking at the fastest left armer in cricket.

Wasim was lot slower in his latter years, but could've been fast in his youth. But I doubt whether he could go over 150k. Brett Schultz was matching Donald with his pace, but was for a very short time.

Your views?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting question, only very recently have I seen Johnson make these speeds.

Seems fair enough that Wasim would've been able to reach similar sorts of speeds in the early-mid 1990s, but we'll never know for sure. Likewise, Allan Donald (still capable of 147-148kph at 32-33 years of age) surely must have been bowling at such speeds around the same time, though obviously we'll never know beyond doubt whether Schultz was the same speed.

Remarkable thing is how rare left-armers, at least, those who bowled seam rather than fingerspin, were until recently. Apart from Davidson, to find any pre-1990s I have to look, rather than just consulting the memory-bank.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Only time I saw Schultz was in SL in 1994. The wicket was very slow and low, and seamers like Matthews, McMillan were reduced to nothing. But donald and Schultz got the ball flying pass the noses of SL batsmen. In fact, Schultz looked sharper than Donald (he may have been not going at 100% due to the conditions)

masterblaster

International Captain
Seeing Mitchell Johnson producing those deliveries at 150k kept me thinking whether I am looking at the fastest left armer in cricket.

Wasim was lot slower in his latter years, but could've been fast in his youth. But I doubt whether he could go over 150k. Brett Schultz was matching Donald with his pace, but was for a very short time.

Your views?
You're probably right. Johnson would be the fastest at the moment with RP Singh coming in at second place. RP has the ability to bowl in the low to mid 140's.

deeps

International 12th Man
Ashish Nehra could hit low 150's occasionally, hit 152 i believe.

Johnson seems to be the quickest at the moment though

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that there are few quick left armers because of the fact that they have had actions sculpted agaisnt right handers which means that a large part of them either push the ball across or bowl around the body.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Denton still faster then Johnson and Nannes, but he is basically retired.

Would throw Thurshara up there was well, he has bowled the same speeds and at times faster then Malinga at domestic level. But since Malinga started playing international cricket he has built himself up and bowled faster and more consistent pace. Whereas Thurshara has dropped his pace for more control and consistency.

Last edited:

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
From what i've heard, he's regularly pushing the late 140's, though, due to my lack of foxtel, i've yet to see him actually bowl myself.

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wasim Akram. Even in 2003 he was clocking 85mph+ easily. He bowled some express spells in the early 90s IIRC.

During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.Personally,I think he would've been as quick as 150 kph in his youth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.
Not dissimilar to the WC99 game against Scotland where the batsmen were attempting to get down Wasim's end to avoid Shoaib Akhtar.

bond21

Banned
Nannes is a copper, he has absolutely no grace, he just runs in and rolls his arm over, and the speed is 150 or something stupid.

Tait = Lee as far as speed is concerned, it depends on the day, one is not always quicker than the other. Sometimes Lee is faster, sometimes Tait is faster.

Id say speedwise Lee = Tait, Johnson, Nannes

Lee and Johnson are the better bowlers though by a long way.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Only time I saw Schultz was in SL in 1994. The wicket was very slow and low, and seamers like Matthews, McMillan were reduced to nothing. But donald and Schultz got the ball flying pass the noses of SL batsmen. In fact, Schultz looked sharper than Donald (he may have been not going at 100% due to the conditions)
Interesting that you mentioned Schultz in terms of speed, because the only time when i saw him vs AUS in SA in 97 he was an 80-85 mph bowler nothing scary, but definately along with Allot & O'Connor if it weren't for injuries had the ability to be a very good left-arm quick.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tait, Lee, Johnson, Nannes imo.
Haven't seen Lee bowl in ages so I could be wrong, I know he used to be rapid, but I'd have thought that Johnson would be able to go faster than him now.

Wasn't Johnson said to be 90mph when he was like 17, but then he got a back injury or something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting that you mentioned Schultz in terms of speed, because the only time when i saw him vs AUS in SA in 97 he was an 80-85 mph bowler nothing scary, but definately along with Allot & O'Connor if it weren't for injuries had the ability to be a very good left-arm quick.
Schultz was said to have been far quicker circa-1993 than circa-1997.

But he would never have been timed in either series, guns did not exist at the time. So you don't know what speed he actually was.