• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia recently retired XI

Xuhaib

International Coach
With so many Aussies leaving the game in the past 12-15 months its actually interesting we can get a decent team with all these recent retirees

Australian Players who Retired in the Last 12 Months XI:
Justin Langer
Matthew Elliott
Darren Lehmann
Damien Martyn
Jimmy Maher
Michal Di Venuto
Adam Gilchrist
Jason Gillespie
Shane Warne
Michael Kasparowicz
Glenn McGrath

Twelfth Man: Brad Hogg

At their peak, that'd beat most international teams. Easily.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
WIth all of them being at their peak, thats an exceptional bowling attack, and a very good batting attack. They'd be the #1 team in the world, even beating the current Aussies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With so many Aussies leaving the game in the past 12-15 months its actually interesting we can get a decent team with all these recent retirees

Justin Langer
Matthew Elliott
Darren Lehmann
Damien Martyn
Jimmy Maher
Michal Di Venuto
Adam Gilchrist
Jason Gillespie
Shane Warne
Michael Kasparowicz
Glenn McGrath

Maher's an opener - put him at the top with Elliott, di Venuto three, Langer four, Lehmann five. And TBH, Martyn, McGrath and Warne (who is actually still playing) are ancient history now - replace them with Bichel and Hogg, and add Nicholson as a fifth bowler. Put Tait in as the substitute fielder, though with somewhat trepidation.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Maher's an opener - put him at the top with Elliott, di Venuto three, Langer four, Lehmann five, Martyn six. And TBH, McGrath and Warne (who is actually still playing) are ancient history now - replace them with Bichel and Hogg, and put Nicholson in as the substitute fielder. Then Tait as emergency squad-member.
Martyn retired before Warne and McGrath, yet you'd keep him?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Maher's an opener - put him at the top with Elliott, di Venuto three, Langer four, Lehmann five. And TBH, Martyn, McGrath and Warne (who is actually still playing) are ancient history now - replace them with Bichel and Hogg, and add Nicholson as a fifth bowler. Put Tait in as the substitute fielder, though with somewhat trepidation.
In my OP I did mention in the last 12-15 months period.

Richard you are such a Dicko.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In my OP I did mention in the last 12-15 months period.
I know. :p I just thought "recent" could be more recent than 12-15 months. You could make a team without Martyn, McGrath and Warne. The number of recent retirements is truly remarkable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langer and Gillespie are planning to make their next game their last, though, no?

As I mentioned, Warne has another season for Hants, and I think di Venuto is planning to play on without a currently set finish date. So not strictly retired, just finished in Australia.

Is Stuart Law still playing? Guess he might count should he have finished last season.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langer and Gillespie are planning to make their next game their last, though, no?

As I mentioned, Warne has another season for Hants, and I think di Venuto is planning to play on without a currently set finish date. So not strictly retired, just finished in Australia.

Is Stuart Law still playing? Guess he might count should he have finished last season.
Langer and Gillespie still planning to fulfill their county contracts...Law is Lancashire's captain this year, think he has a 2 year contract.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Justin Langer
Matthew Elliott
Darren Lehmann
Damien Martyn
Jimmy Maher
Michal Di Venuto
Adam Gilchrist
Jason Gillespie
Shane Warne
Michael Kasparowicz
Glenn McGrath

too many lefties in that batting order though..

Otherwise, gun team.

bagapath

International Captain
a one-day XI from the same pool

gilchrist (wk)
elliott
martyn
maher
divenuto
lehmann
hogg
warne (c)
gillespie
kasparowicz
mcgrath

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a one-day XI from the same pool

gilchrist (wk)
elliott
martyn
maher
divenuto
lehmann
hogg
warne (c)
gillespie
kasparowicz
mcgrath
Swap di Venuto and Martyn around TBH. In fact, put Lehmann above Martyn too.

Wasn't it last season Bevan retired? Or the one before?