• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Overall Cricketer?

Eclipse

International Debutant
We constently have debates over who the best batsman is & who the best bowlers are but who in your opinion is the best cricketer in the world overall?

In my opinion it's Adam Gilchrist for a wicket keeper his numbers are just redicules I mean no one would ever beleve a batsman could have batting figures like him in test cricket let alone a number 7 and a wicket keeper.

Matches: 41
Runs: 2794
Innings: 58
No : 12
HS: 204*
AVRAGE: 60.71
STRIKE RATE: 83.44
100's: 8
50's: 15
Ct: 159
St: 14

This guy is not human scoring that fast is just unfair on every one else mind you I am not complaining but I think the next best is around 60 by Brian Lara & player's like H. Gibbs who is normaly though of as a quick scorer has a strike rate in the 40s.

Also on my list would be:

Kallis
Tendulkar
Pollock
McGrath
Warne
Lara
Ponting
Murili

who do you think is the best?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Kallis for best overall cricketer. Brilliant batsman, penetrative bowler and safe catcher.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah but hes hardly breath taking like Gilly.

I would not call him a brilliant batsman a very good one who has a rock solid deffense possibly the best but his stroke play is nothing special.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eclipse said:
I would not call him a brilliant batsman a very good one who has a rock solid deffense possibly the best but his stroke play is nothing special.
But Gilchrist is a brilliant batsman?? Would you not call Boycott a brilliant batsman? Does a batsman have to constantly play strokes and score at an 80 SR to be brilliant?

I'm sorry but I disagree. Kallis is a very capable strokeplayer as seen by the fact that he does score runs- not only in singles and edges for 4. :P

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Most naturally gifted batsman of this era: Lara

Close seconds: Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden

Best batsman of this era: Tendulkar

Close seconds: Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden, Lara, S. Waugh

Best fast bowler of this era: McGrath

Close seconds: Akram, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose

Best spinner of this era: Murali

Close second: Warne

Best fielder of this era: Rhodes

Close seconds: Ponting, M. Waugh

Best all-rounder: Kallis

Close second: Pollock

Last edited:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
anilramavarma said:

Best spinner of this era: Murali

Close second: Warne
i agree pretty much wit hall your rankings, but I can't give any praise to a guy who I believe throws the ball. Regardless of what others think, I have that view, and I believe he is getting worse and worse now.

As for the best all round cricketer, i agree with Gilchrist, just in front of Pollock.

Mr Mxyzptlk

anilramavarma said:

Close seconds: Akram, Waqar, Donald, Pollock
I would have to say that Walsh and/or Ambrose should be among the ranks as certainly one of the best of this era. Even more than Ambrose, Walsh was especially effective in his later years of his career.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I would have to say that Walsh and/or Ambrose should be among the ranks as certainly one of the best of this era. Even more than Ambrose, Walsh was especially effective in his later years of his career.
You're right, Ambrose should certainly have been included, but Walsh, while certainly a great bowler IMO isn't in the same league.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
hourn said:
i agree pretty much wit hall your rankings, but I can't give any praise to a guy who I believe throws the ball. Regardless of what others think, I have that view, and I believe he is getting worse and worse now.

As for the best all round cricketer, i agree with Gilchrist, just in front of Pollock.
Well....everyone to his own opinion. The ICC panel of experts have cleared his action, I believe his deformity is such that his arm bends backwards when he delivers the ball, not forwards(someone correct me if I am wrong), and that is not chucking in my book. Anyway, if you dispute the ICC decison on that, there are some other decisions that can be disputed like Lee, Akhtar, Harb.... If you are selective, that just means pure prejudice. You have to go the whole hog and denounce every single one of them even though they have all been cleared by the ICC.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I agree, i would never put someone who gets such an unfair advantage in a lineup of mine....

Best all round cricket in my book is Kallis...

Although Gilchrist is flashier and has a better record, he cannot spearhead a bowling attack..

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:

Although Gilchrist is flashier and has a better record, he cannot spearhead a bowling attack..
I wouldn't say Kallis could spearhead an attack...

As for Gilly, there is no other player in the game tha can turn a match on its head faster or more effectively than him...

And as for the best overall cricketer tag, well if Gilly can be classified as an allrounder then why can't he be called the best overall???

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Who in your opinion is the best cricketer in the world overall?
To me, that asks, "which player would you have in your team given the choice of anyone in the world?"

And I would answer: It depends on the pitch :saint:

Oh, and a couple of Muralitharan JPGs:

3 views of Murali's arm. First and third views show a straight arm but the centre figure shows a bent arm. Most of the controversy is as a result of this illusion.

Ball's released. Elbow bent in side view, but, appears straight in back view. Now, think about whether the human eye can resolve this detail at high speed when the complete bowling cycle is about 0.6 seconds.

http://www-ieem.ust.hk/dfaculty/ravi/murali.html

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
LOL but nobody has ever seen him bowl, his proberly quite good at that too :saint:

Bet his had a few of the lads out in the nets :lol:

PY

International Coach
Best official all-round cricketer?
Only one answer...........Jacques Kallis.
Batting
No. Name Points
6 JH Kallis 837 50.40
Bowling
No. Name Points
7 JH Kallis 696 28.60

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
Best overall cricketer (note: this is not who I consider my favorite)

Steve Waugh

Now, skill and technique may be highly important for a batsman, but that's not all that I look for when I judge who has been the best cricketer. Not that Waugh is lacking in skill, actually, I might say he's rather good, but not the best. But when it comes to batting, something else you need is guts, determination, mental fortitude, dedication, and self-confidence. These are all the things that make him, in my opinion, the best player in the world currently. The fact that he does this while captaining the team just adds to the magnifisence.

Close Seconds:
Tendulkar
McGrath
Akram
Donald
Lara

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
anilramavarma said:

Close seconds: Akram, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose
For me the best fast bowler of this era(era after Marshall, Imran et al.) has to be Curtly Ambrose. Close seconds can be Akram, McGrath, Walsh, Donald and Waqar in that order.

One caveat to that is that McGrath can top that list of mine by the time he hangs his boots.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think Gillys keeping is just as importaint as Kallis bowling and IMO Gilly is the better batsman so thats why I choose him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
gilchrist hands down, he hits the ball cleaner than anyone, the only keeper in teh world that would make the Aussie team on batting alone, and his keeping is good, and always getting better

note to whomever said it: steve waugh doesn't have good technique.

PY

International Coach
age_master said:
note to whomever said it: steve waugh doesn't have good technique.
:O :O huh? Please explain....you may be right but if that statement is as sweeping as it looks, it's bit unreal.