• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Overall Cricketer?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vishnureddy said:
Gilchrist has also played several match winning innings when his side was in trouble.
Several? At International level? I can only remember 2, possibly 3...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
what about his first 50 in one dayers. He made that against South Africa when Australia were in trouble. He made a 70 odd and got australia to a respectable score . That was the first time i really noticed him batting.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Were the hell do you live not earth? I could probably come up with 20 innings were he has performed big time when the team needs him.

What about his 154 Vs Sri Lanka at the MCG wickets were falling around him consistently yet he did not take his foot of the gas and got Australia to a good enough score to win the match.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well thanks for wasting my time marc I spent about an hour getting a good list off about 20 innings were Gilly has played ether a real match winning innings or made valuble contribution when the team needed him.

I lost the lot though got disconected & my browser crashed so you will have to do your own reserch if you want any proof but It should be pritty easy to find some real good ones in there just go to cricketinfo.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's played 216 innings in Internationals.

I cannot believe that 20 of them are match winning (16 tons and 47 fifties)

krkode

State Captain
Remember, not all tons and 50s are match winning.

Personally, when I want to know the match-winning index of a player, I divide the number of matches he has played by the number of man of the match awards he has received.

Viv Richards seems to be the hottest of them all with 31 MoMs in 187 matches. Next might be Tendulkar with 47 in 314 games...

Going back to what I said earlier, you don't need tons to be a match-winner, Steven Waugh has 3 centuries, yet, 20 MoMs. :wow:

MORE

Of course, this is hardly accurate, but it works for the bare necessities. I tend to think MoMs are biased against Bowlers...if you notice, the first "bowler" on the list is Klusner and then way down there's Waqar.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
He's played 216 innings in Internationals.

I cannot believe that 20 of them are match winning (16 tons and 47 fifties)
You would be supprised but unless you actualy take the time to have a look I guse you will never know.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
You would be supprised but unless you actualy take the time to have a look I guse you will never know.
It's your argument, you come up with the proof.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
And now I note the 20 include "valuable contributions" - which aren't match winning.
Sachin Tendulkar has been not out at the end of more than 20 matches India have won in ODIs, I'd call most of those matchwinning because he has opened the batting for most of his career.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
But Sachin's class isn't in question here.
Neither is Gilchrist's. All I'm showing is that talking about Gilchrist's matchwinning innings has no relevence to his standing as the best overall player in the world, just like Sachin's don't.