• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Look Australia ODI Line Up on the way?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Watson and Hopes in the same team, ITSTL.

For me, I'd be happiest to leave Watson out - I don't see Hopes as a long-term option - until whichever time Hopes has to go. Obviously, right now Hopes has an unequivocal case for selection. In the meantime, put Hopes in the role you see for Watson - opening batsman and fill-in bowler.

Mind, I'm still far from convinced about Watson as a ODI bowler, though his batting has looked better in recent times. He was absolutely awful for quite a while, and while he's been a bit better of late, still far from outstanding.

With the bat he was extremely ordinary down the order for ages of course, and despite his excellent World Cup (3 not-out innings at strike-rates well over 100) at seven, I'm still far from convinced about him in that position. As an opener, though, he's certainly worth another go.
It could be a bit of overkill having them both, however Hopes' recent outings with the ball suggest he is all but capable of being relied upon for 10 overs, infact I reckon he's less likely to be flayed about than Stuart Clark. And the fact he had a decent to good VB series means he cant really be cut loose right now.

However theres no way he's as equipped to open the batting as Watson is, Hopes has some nice shots against the quicker bowlers, but that is all, does not possess an outstanding technique or great powers of concentration and as has been said if its a slowish pitch or the spinners are on he looks like a rabbit. Watson on the other hand has all the tools to succeed opening in one day cricket. I've long held the view if he were to do well anywhere in the ODI lineup it would be opening.
His bowling still has question marks over it however in my proposed side he wouldnt neccesarily be a frontliner, you'd need 10 overs from him/Symonds/Clarke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Worth another go" is obviously Richard-speak for outstanding - averaging 40+ at strike rate of 80+ is something most countries dream about
Over the small number of innings it so far contains it's far from an "outstanding" scenario. It's a good start, nothing more. It's certainly far from guranteed that he'll have further success there - but he has most certainly earnt the right to find-out.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I was talking about State teams, not where they reside, otherwise I could say it is biased to the St George and Sutherland Shire, where S Clark, P Jaques, M Clarke, S Smith, M Henriques and R Ponting all live and/or grew up in the St George and Sutherland Shire area

Redbacks

International Captain
Future Australian Team IMO:

Hughes, Jaques, Ponting, Clarke, Katich, Haddin, Smith, Henriques, Lee, Hauritz/Bollinger, Bracken, Clark

Can't see that side losing a game tbh.
Not balanced in so many ways. Even if they are all good players or potential, no-one to come in and blitz as a Roy can or Hussey used to
8-)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No - who is Tharmi being biased towards?
NSW IIRC. 10 out of 11 play for them, and Ponting lives in the Shire, so thats how he's being biased.:mellow: 8-)

PS: I support NSW, but i'm not stupid enough to pick an all NSW side.