• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Justin Langer Retires

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Always preferred Langer to Hayden itbt. Should've had a long ODI career as well. To me, he is a great, even if his record doesn't suggest so.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Have really missed watching him in the tests this year. I thought he brought a really innocent but determined will to win that made him good to watch.

I will be trying to get to as many Somerset matches as possible this year, with it being the last chance to see him.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Real shame. Genuinely fantastic player, always a pleasure to watch him bat. I had the pleasure of seeing him bat in Test cricket (albeit only for four balls at the end of the 2005 Ashes), and in county cricket, and no matter the environment, he always stood out. A fantastic batsman, a fantastic sportsman, and a great ambassador for the game. Am very much hoping I can get to a Somerset game this summer to see him one last time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wrung absolutely everything he could out of his ability. Well played.

Sometimes nice guys don't finish last. Fine career.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big appreciation of Langer, and also the Langer/Hayden combination. Probably the best top order combo since Haynes and Greenidge for my mind.

I don't think its fair to say that he "wrung every ounce of talent" out of himself, as this implies that he was less of a talent than Hayden.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australia's greastest ever opening batsmen IMO, one of all time greats. Great bloke too.
Nah, Langer ain't even an opener. And I'd place Woodfull, Ponsford, Morris, Barnes, Hassett, Lawry, Simpson, Redpath, McCosker, Laird, Taylor and Slater ahead of him for starters.

Either way, a bit of a surprise - thought he was going to go for another 2 years. In fact I was almost hoping we'd see Langer, Gilchrist and Hogg playing for WA next year TBH, unlikely as that was.

But well played. Good batsman, and at the domestic level a pretty exceptional one.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
no way in hell Slater is better.

Taylor, is better, he had style and was very hard to get out.

It was a great partnership, Hayden the powerhouse, Langer the drop and steal a quick single, with all the shots.

Didnt have Hayden's intimidatory factor, but didnt need it because of his reputation.

Also he bats better injured, so dont bounce him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good point. I did say "for starters" though, I thought I'd probably forget a few people.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Langer ain't even an opener. And I'd place Woodfull, Ponsford, Morris, Barnes, Hassett, Lawry, Simpson, Redpath, McCosker, Laird, Taylor and Slater ahead of him for starters.

Either way, a bit of a surprise - thought he was going to go for another 2 years. In fact I was almost hoping we'd see Langer, Gilchrist and Hogg playing for WA next year TBH, unlikely as that was.

But well played. Good batsman, and at the domestic level a pretty exceptional one.
McCosker and Laird? Behave!

And Hassett was less of an opener than any of them... :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did hesitate to include ALH TBH, but I still reckon he's more an opener than Langer.

And yes, I rate McCosker and Laird very highly.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played JL - a fine batsman and absolute 110% competitor, from what I heard and read of Ian Redpath I can imagine that the two men were cut from the same cloth.

A vital cog in one of the most successful teams in cricketing history, he will be missed.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I did hesitate to include ALH TBH, but I still reckon he's more an opener than Langer.

And yes, I rate McCosker and Laird very highly.
I really liked Stumpy as a young kid - he and Wood are the first Australian opening partnership I have any real memory of (Dyson was mixed in there too). And McCosker was definitely a warrior who served both Australia and - particularly - NSW well.

But I couldn't put either of them on even close to the same plane as JL.

All matters of opinion though, as always.

Steulen

International Regular
My absolute favourite cricketer since I became a serious cricket watcher 15 years ago.

Waking up in the morning, checking the overnight scores from the Gabba, WACA or whathaveyou and seeing a Langer ton really made my day.

To me, he is an alltime great, averaging over 50 since becoming an opener, scoring more than 20 Test centuries, and being part of arguably one of the top 2 opening combinations of all time.

His columns on the BBC website are always a pleasure to read as well, which is quite abnormal for sportsmen written columns.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard - please stop turning retirement threads into a "discussion" on how dire they were.