• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds Shoulder Charge Punishment

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Will he be charged?
i dont see why not cos the streaker wasnt going for symonds in any way and Symonds didnt have to shoulder charge him.
Thats actually assault.
I remember last year afridi got banned for just waving his bat at a spectator when he got provoked but Symonds wasnt even provoked.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Legally, Symonds is vulnerable but it'd be poor form for the bloke to press ahead with charges. I've not got a great deal of sympathy for a fella who runs onto a sporting field naked purely for the attention-seeking thrill of it. It could also be said that just by being on the field unauthorised, he provoked the players.

Last edited:

readie

State Regular
PC gone too far IMO if he gets charged - the streaker's an idiot for running near symonds in the first place tbh

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Streaker is definately an Idiot but Symonds is just stupid. Why would you hit the guy and that too so hard ? He should just hope that the streaker isn't hurt too badly.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Streaker is definately an Idiot but Symonds is just stupid. Why would you hit the guy and that too so hard ? He should just hope that the streaker isn't hurt too badly.
exactly..he was streaking, not attacking anyone, symonds is not part of ground security and had no business getting physical with him...

pasag

RTDAS
Streaker wasn't hurt. As said in the official thread, Symonds wont be charged by police or ICC, but the streaker can still press charges if he wants.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's tricky, many would back Symonds but it sets a dangerous precedent so he almost has to be punished here.

If players feel threatened they have a right to defend themselves, but overreacting could lead to an even worse outcome. It was totally in his character to do that though and to do it with such an impact.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Greg Chappell charged for holding a streaker down whilst hitting him with a bat?

Was Terry Alderman charged for tackling a streaker?

World has gone seriously mad.

It's like the burglar in the US who successfully sued the Education Dept for injuries he sustained from falling through a school roof whilst making off with a tv

Burgey

He was runnung fast towards him - he didn't move 15 metres to his left and axe him.

What do you want him to do? Stand there and get hit by the bloke and maybe injured while waiting for the fat constable to arrive?

The bloke's done some things this summer that I for one don't agree with, but really, in this instance I don't see how he did anything wrong.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He was runnung fast towards him - he didn't move 15 metres to his left and axe him.

What do you want him to do? Stand there and get hit by the bloke and maybe injured while waiting for the fat constable to arrive?

The bloke's done some things this summer that I for one don't agree with, but really, in this instance I don't see how he did anything wrong.
I dont know if we have watched the same footage and I may be completely wrong but to me it seemed that Symonds did move towards(although not 15 meters) the streaker and tackled him.

Symonds should have done what other 12 players and 2 umpires were doing, which is letting the police do their work.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Was Greg Chappell charged for holding a streaker down whilst hitting him with a bat?

Was Terry Alderman charged for tackling a streaker?

World has gone seriously mad.

It's like the burglar in the US who successfully sued the Education Dept for injuries he sustained from falling through a school roof whilst making off with a tv
:wacko:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love the reply from the ICC to the question:

"So, if you aren't going to punish Symonds, you're basically saying that its okay for a player to take matters into their own hands with pitch invaders"

....followed by silence

Symonds would be looking mightly stupid if he'd picked up an Alderman-esque injury.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH if Symonds wants to go out of his way to halt the pitch invader, whats the problem with it? The guy is not authorised to be on the ground and its certainly an effective way to make any others think twice about running towards him whilst the match is in progress...

jeevan

International 12th Man
TBH if Symonds wants to go out of his way to halt the pitch invader, whats the problem with it? The guy is not authorised to be on the ground and its certainly an effective way to make any others think twice about running towards him whilst the match is in progress...
Because under most rules of law, vigilante action is against the law as well.

Burgey

What did he do that was wrong?
Well, he shouldn't have walked up to Harbhajan and said what he did in Sydney, imo. It kind of led to a few little issues off the field :).
Edit: the "I won't go to Pakistan no matter what" just before the IPL auction wasn't real helpful to CA either. May have helped his contract price though.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
"You only live once," he said of the spontaneous decision, admitting it was the first time he had streaked.

He later told police it was "just something that he had to do".
- Robert Ogilvie.

:laugh: