Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: The Adam Gilchrist Tribute Thread

  1. #16
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    The third name in my All-Time XI, after Bradman and Sobers. He's simply a clear choice ahead of everyone else who has ever played in his position, and you can't get a bigger compliment than that. At his peak he was one of the most dangerous batsmen in test history, and pretty consistent to go with that, and IMO he has been somewhat underrated as a keeper, mainly because of his batting. Essentially, people are more focused on finding faults with Gilchrist's keeping because he was such a good batsman, while in reality I think he was close to the best keeper in the world for most of his career. There were a couple of other contenders, but even leaving aside his batting he was very good, and generally deserved a spot, even if he might not make the list of the greatest keepers of all time without his batting. Throw in the fact that he would have made any test side in the world as a batsman through the peak of his career and you've got a truly remarkable player.

    Also quite nice to watch for such an aggressive batsman. Could score very fast playing fairly orthodox shots, and a great guy as well. Very glad I saw him play.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  2. #17
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    The main thing I could say in tribute to his career is as Lawry or whoever always says, he was an entertainer. When he got to the crease there was always an anticipation that something special could happen. It didn't always, but when it did it was a sight to behold. You'd never get up to get a drink or go to the bathroom when Gilchrist was batting. The most vivid memory of his career I had wasn't anything on the field. It was from an ODI a couple of years a go and he had gotten out for a first ball duck, and there was this big, older woman sitting there and she looked like she was about to cry she was that disappointed, her facial expression was priceless and really sums it up for mine.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  3. #18
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,221
    See the ball, hit it. Truly a batting genius and like McGrath one can point out both his simple approach and natural gifts as the reasons for his great success.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

    Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

  4. #19
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,567
    And so he walks, for the last time...............


  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The great man retires. What a fantastic cricketer, and a great guy. He'd walk into my all time Test XI.

    The fact that he was a genuine walker means he has my utmost respect. Here is an article from Sangakarra: Adam the revolutionary
    Well done Adam! The best Wicketkeeper-bat in the history of the game and one of the genuine matchwinners. Conditions/pitches/bowlers rarely matter when he is on song. And an absolute gentleman.

    Also a genuine walker since 2003 WC (Coz in the Ashes just prior to that, he didnt walk despite sound nicks behind in the Sydney test)

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    I also believe CA didnt do Adam the justice he deserved (going for Ponting instead as captain). Captaining such a Champion side would have been an honor. And he did superbly well by captaining them to a famous Series win in India. People might attack my point saying "Ok, but what wrong Punter has done". I think anyone could captain a team consisiting of Shane Warne, McG, Gilly etc.

  7. #22
    First Class Debutant Jnr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    I also believe CA didnt do Adam the justice he deserved (going for Ponting instead as captain). Captaining such a Champion side would have been an honor. And he did superbly well by captaining them to a famous Series win in India. People might attack my point saying "Ok, but what wrong Punter has done". I think anyone could captain a team consisiting of Shane Warne, McG, Gilly etc.
    Disagree. As amazing as Gilly is, he's human. If he had been made captain, I think he would've been burnt out prematurely (I think you're underestimating a captain's job). I'm glad he didn't leave the game prematurely - more years to enjoy his batsmanship and spirit. Besides, he's Australia's Test captain #41, an honour no one can take away from him and he has also said several times that he has never really coveted the Australian captaincy.

  8. #23
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I hate to stink up a tribute thread, and I do really love Gilly, but he has the luxury of being able to not be selfish; he has the luxury of being able to walk; he has the luxury of playing with complete freedom. You can do these very admirable things if you're a keeper/senior player whose place in the team is both secure and is not dependant on your batting. Did he walk from 1999-2003 (early on in his international career)? Or did it start at the WOrld Cup 2003?

    I'd be more impressed if he was a newly-selected specialist batsman still making his way in the team - and he was doing the above selfless acts.
    You're a hard man. Most people would wait until their position was safe.

    Anyway, he didn't need to walk in the early days; was usually out bowled or caught on the fence. Seriously, wasn't much of a nicker early doors.

  9. #24
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    I also believe CA didnt do Adam the justice he deserved (going for Ponting instead as captain). Captaining such a Champion side would have been an honor. And he did superbly well by captaining them to a famous Series win in India. People might attack my point saying "Ok, but what wrong Punter has done". I think anyone could captain a team consisiting of Shane Warne, McG, Gilly etc.
    A team of champions != a champion team. I see this point about the players being so great that the captain didn't matter and it's crap. Wanna know what a team full of stars but without a decent captain will do? Think Pakistan for the last 20 years. With Imran at the helm, Pakistan won a WC after a poor start and drew two series' against the WI when no-one even came close. The same team with virtually the same playing group (with even more great players like Waqar added because he missed the whole 1992 WC) were beaten regularly after Imran retired.

    The point? Made captain, Gillie's form would have dropped off pretty fast because even with a star-studded team, the captain still has to work their backside off.

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnr. View Post
    Disagree. As amazing as Gilly is, he's human. If he had been made captain, I think he would've been burnt out prematurely (I think you're underestimating a captain's job). I'm glad he didn't leave the game prematurely - more years to enjoy his batsmanship and spirit. Besides, he's Australia's Test captain #41, an honour no one can take away from him and he has also said several times that he has never really coveted the Australian captaincy.
    It's a bit of injustice you do there pal to Gilly pal. Gilly captained Australia in 6 tests, winning 4 of those, losing one and drawing one. And he captained Australia when they won the series in India (final frontier for australian caps for a long time). (Dont forget Ponting came back to captain the dead rubber and Aus lost, but that's irrelevant). I think Gilly was more imaginative and proactive than any of the Australian captains. Given a chance he did well. But he wa not continued with sadly.

  11. #26
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    It's a bit of injustice you do there pal to Gilly pal. Gilly captained Australia in 6 tests, winning 4 of those, losing one and drawing one. And he captained Australia when they won the series in India (final frontier for australian caps for a long time). (Dont forget Ponting came back to captain the dead rubber and Aus lost, but that's irrelevant). I think Gilly was more imaginative and proactive than any of the Australian captains. Given a chance he did well. But he wa not continued with sadly.
    He would made a good captain but to be fair to Ponting, he hasn't so badly either ! And I really think the selectors didn't want to put more pressure on Gilly by burdening him with the captaincy as well.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    With Imran at the helm, Pakistan won a WC after a poor start and drew two series' against the WI when no-one even came close.
    Several did TBH. New Zealand, India, England.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    A team of champions != a champion team. I see this point about the players being so great that the captain didn't matter and it's crap. Wanna know what a team full of stars but without a decent captain will do? Think Pakistan for the last 20 years. With Imran at the helm, Pakistan won a WC after a poor start and drew two series' against the WI when no-one even came close. The same team with virtually the same playing group (with even more great players like Waqar added because he missed the whole 1992 WC) were beaten regularly after Imran retired.

    The point? Made captain, Gillie's form would have dropped off pretty fast because even with a star-studded team, the captain still has to work their backside off.
    One cannot compare Australian team of the 2000 with Pakistan team of the 90s. Yes, Pakistan had world class players, but filled with bloated ego and lack of professionalism. (To be fair, the Indians too, except that they didnt have players of the same class, except the budding Tendulkar. The ego thing continued as recently as the Greg-Saurav spat). There were public rifts between Wasim and Waqar, Imran and Miandad. Even players refused to play under a particular captain. Can you imagine a situation where Hadyen and Symond refuse to play because Clarke is made captain? That was the difference.

  14. #29
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    One cannot compare Australian team of the 2000 with Pakistan team of the 90s. Yes, Pakistan had world class players, but filled with bloated ego and lack of professionalism. (To be fair, the Indians too, except that they didnt have players of the same class, except the budding Tendulkar. The ego thing continued as recently as the Greg-Saurav spat). There were public rifts between Wasim and Waqar, Imran and Miandad. Even players refused to play under a particular captain. Can you imagine a situation where Hadyen and Symond refuse to play because Clarke is made captain? That was the difference.
    So there were no bloated egos in the Aussies side of the 2000's? Surely you jest. Warne, Hayden, Martyn and the Waugh brothers to start with. What you're saying supports my point that a multi-talented team needs a decent captain to stitch it together for the team to do well.

    That the rifts weren't public is not the point, in my view. They were there with the Aussie team, as with most highly talented teams, and that the team still did well surely indicates strong leaders.

  15. #30
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    There was patently a rift between Warne and Stephen Waugh \ Gilchrist. Cannot believe anyone would think otherwise, especially with Warne's (many ) post-retirement revelations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A Tribute To Adam Gilchrist
    By Perm in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
  2. Adam Gilchrist
    By tooextracool in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 19-12-2007, 03:21 AM
  3. Adam Gilchrist
    By luffy in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
  4. Adam Gilchrist - how good is he?
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
  5. Adam Gilchrist
    By Thelwell in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •