• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Waikato Times' NZ's Worst Cricketers

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe Geoff Allott and Chris Harris make the list of the worst NZ cricketers. Yes its obviously based on test cricket stats but this is the same Harris who played 250 ODIs and Allott, the joint leading wicket taker in the 1999 World Cup? Sticking Jones in there is also a bit harsh given he only played one match.

Not sure of the objective of the article TBH.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Matt's a bit of a negative Nigel. He was at the Ashburton Guardian before getting the Waikato gig and was always complaining about stuff whenever I talked to him (being a former Guardian reporter meself - and we often shared copy for Heartland Championship games). The thing that annoys me about these columns are that they've been done over and over before and add nothing new for the reader.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matt's a bit of a negative Nigel. He was at the Ashburton Guardian before getting the Waikato gig and was always complaining about stuff whenever I talked to him (being a former Guardian reporter meself - and we often shared copy for Heartland Championship games). The thing that annoys me about these columns are that they've been done over and over before and add nothing new for the reader.
Year, agree with that. It's quite boring, in fact, and reflects poorly on the writer that the best he could come up with is a piece which requires little research and makes no constructive points at all. Plus, where's Rich De Groen?! :D

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Or Chris Kuggle-juggle (to quote either Phlegm or the sadly gone Athlai, can't remember which)

I only found the article because I'm so self-absorbed that the keywords "Heath", "Davis" and "Heath Davis" are set up as RSS feeds on my homepage. I also have "No-ball Problem" set up.

The unfortunate side effect of late has been that my e-mail account has been inundated with articles about Heath Ledger.

Flem274*

123/5
Or Chris Kuggle-juggle (to quote either Phlegm or the sadly gone Athlai, can't remember which)
That would be me.

We really are a bunch of glass half empties in the media ain't we? God knows what will happen when/if I get my journo job. How many of this lot will have heart attacks at my positivity?

Much more interesting to do a best XI ever TBH.

HeathDavisSpeed

We really are a bunch of glass half empties in the media ain't we? God knows what will happen when/if I get my journo job. How many of this lot will have heart attacks at my positivity?
Except when it comes to rugby when the All Blacks media are hopelessly one-eyed, but that's another story.

I think this constant downer about our (non-Rugby) sporting heroes may be an unfortunate personality trait that we've inherited and retained from our former Colonial masters whilst the Australians have been particularly successful in shaking off this former Imperialist Yoke (to quote Sir Humphrey Appleby and the President of Cumran (sic.))

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Except when it comes to rugby when the All Blacks media are hopelessly one-eyed, but that's another story.

I think this constant downer about our (non-Rugby) sporting heroes may be an unfortunate personality trait that we've inherited and retained from our former Colonial masters whilst the Australians have been particularly successful in shaking off this former Imperialist Yoke (to quote Sir Humphrey Appleby and the President of Cumran (sic.))
Heath don't know whether this is true but did you ever play pro cricket?

Flem274*

123/5
What do you reckon would happen if I said Mark Todd+Charisma>any All Black team in terms of achievement? He won gazillions of World Championships and the Olympic Gold twice wheras our great rugby teams well, won a couple of Grand Slams, a world cup, and a few localized series.

How long would I live if I dared to write that in a paper?:laugh:

Its fun to stir them up.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
What would happen is that you'd get plenty of people writing in to point out that to win such events, Todd needs a good horse. Which he had in the form of Charisma.

But then again, you're biased towards eventing anyway, so I'd take your opinion with a massive, jodphur-wearing, wrist-flapping, gin-sipping grain of salt. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Can't win, can we? Poms are routinely bagged as arrogant and now you're also blaming us for giving you your cultural cringe! :p

HeathDavisSpeed

Can't win, can we? Poms are routinely bagged as arrogant and now you're also blaming us for giving you your cultural cringe! :p
Interesting. I don't think I've ever bagged the Poms as arrogant. Things are a little different over there in my experience (I did live in the UK for quite some time). I found that if things are going well, then the media will generally back the team, but as soon as something goes wrong, the team are slated. However, non-Soccer sports(not the non sports sports shop) fans are generally very pessimistic about their team's chances. This even extends to the fans of the majority of teams outside the top 3 or 4 in each division of the FA ladder.

But then again, you're biased towards eventing anyway, so I'd take your opinion with a massive, jodphur-wearing, wrist-flapping, gin-sipping grain of salt. :p
Nice one! I'll remember that for the next time I bump into someone from the local Pony Club.

N.B. The only time this has happened was about 10 years ago, playing at the Trentham Cricket Club where there was a dressage thing going on alongside the pitch and some jolly hockey-sticks Pommy bitch came over and had a go at us for daring to hit a boundary over towards their tournament.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting. I don't think I've ever bagged the Poms as arrogant. Things are a little different over there in my experience (I did live in the UK for quite some time). I found that if things are going well, then the media will generally back the team, but as soon as something goes wrong, the team are slated. However, non-Soccer sports(not the non sports sports shop) fans are generally very pessimistic about their team's chances. This even extends to the fans of the majority of teams outside the top 3 or 4 in each division of the FA ladder.
It's quite possibly more of a rugby (union) thing, but I get the distinct impression from my visits to rugby forums (fora? meh...) that some kiwi posters think of us as being somewhat up ourselves.

You are right tho, generally speaking. We're a quite phlegmatic lot as a nation & faintly resigned pessimism is probably our default setting. If one were so inclined it might be hypothesised that this is a cultural by-product of our post-war decline; we lost an empire & never really found a role to replace it with. Me, I think it's 'cos we're ****e at sport.

Flem274*

123/5

Nice one! I'll remember that for the next time I bump into someone from the local Pony Club.

N.B. The only time this has happened was about 10 years ago, playing at the Trentham Cricket Club where there was a dressage thing going on alongside the pitch and some jolly hockey-sticks Pommy bitch came over and had a go at us for daring to hit a boundary over towards their tournament.
Don't take any notice of them, dressage is ****.

You'd think the two events would be further apart though wouldn't you? Someone made an organizational **** up.:laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
What would happen is that you'd get plenty of people writing in to point out that to win such events, Todd needs a good horse. Which he had in the form of Charisma.
Rugby teams need good players, but yes the sports are very different. Horse riding is a team sport though, but more a mental than a physical sport, though you do need very good balance and toughness (I assume horse racing would be similar, the only racing I do is galloping around at home so my knowledge is limited, you'd know more than me I would think).

Gin sipping? Don't drink gin TBH. And of course I'm biased towards eventing, rugby fans are biased towards rugby, soccer is biased towards soccer and so on.

Anyway the skills of Eventing would be way too OT for a cricket forum so I'll limit my say to that.

Very disappointed no one took the bait though.:p