• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Jayasuriya retire?

deira

Banned
His recent performances in the onedays games have been pretty bad. He has only averaged around 15 in the last 20 Oneday games he has played. He is almost 39 and not getting any younger, so should he retire? He has been around since 1989 in International cricket.

ret

International Debutant
i guess, it's abt time for him .... wondering why is he prolonging his carrer as i don't see him playinng the 2011 WC .... i guess, SL is struggling for an able replacement and thats why he is probably hanging on. if he avg 15 in his last few games, the chances are not many in SL team would be avging even that much

as for the entertainment he brings .... well, even if he retires, the fans can still catch him on IPL playing for Mumbai

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayasuriya's had lengthy bad spells before. Quite confident he can come back from this, personally. If he can still be playing well at 38, another year (or four) is unlikely to be much worse.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is still deadly on subcontinent wickets.
Unless srilanka find an replacement he should not retire according to me.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's still there on merit, but he doesn't deserve to be. If he retiried, it would be good for Sri Lanka.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i guess, it's abt time for him .... wondering why is he prolonging his carrer as i don't see him playinng the 2011 WC .... i guess, SL is struggling for an able replacement and thats why he is probably hanging on. if he avg 15 in his last few games, the chances are not many in SL team would be avging even that much

as for the entertainment he brings .... well, even if he retires, the fans can still catch him on IPL playing for Mumbai
More importantly he'll be playing Twenty/20 for Warwickshire this season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jayasuriya should retire when he wants to. If that's not no, then no he should not retire.

If he's no longer the best option for the team, then the selectors should drop him. It shouldn't be on his head to decide that.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The word around the place, was that if Jayasuriya had a good ODI series in Australia he would have retired. But due to his poor performance he is thinking about retiring at home. I don't think he will around for much longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayasuriya should retire when he wants to. If that's not no, then no he should not retire.

If he's no longer the best option for the team, then the selectors should drop him. It shouldn't be on his head to decide that.
What about if he wants to decide whether or not he's the best option for the team? What about if he wants to retire instead of being dropped?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Udawatte should be ahead of both now. But Gunwardene probably would be the best replacement, in terms some sort of consistent performances.
Dihan Avishka Gunawardene? :blink:

If so, hope he's better than he was last he played ODIs!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dihan Avishka Gunawardene? :blink:

If so, hope he's better than he was last he played ODIs!
Yeah a fair bit, probably at the peak of his ability. Might only last for 2-3 years, but his been the best opener in domestic cricket in both forms for the last couple seasons. I don't think he is the long term option, but short term until Udawatte, Nawela, KD Gunawardene and Tharanga sort out their issue. He, Dilshan or Sangakkara are probably the best options.

Lostman

State Captain
Yeah a fair bit, probably at the peak of his ability. Might only last for 2-3 years, but his been the best opener in domestic cricket in both forms for the last couple seasons. I don't think he is the long term option, but short term until Udawatte, Nawela, KD Gunawardene and Tharanga sort out their issue. He, Dilshan or Sangakkara are probably the best options.
Chaminda i believe Avishka joined the ICL recently, not a 100% sure though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh dear, that's a shame. Was rather looking forward to seeing a new improved DA Gunawardene.

Last edited:

yaju

State Vice-Captain
He should retire only after Sri Lanka finds a suitable replacement for him. Even if not in form with the bat, he brings a lot of exprience and motivation to the side.