• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are helmets compulsory?

cover drive man

International Captain
When I play in my backyard with my brothers or when I play in P.E lessons with my mates I'm a pretty decent batter. But when I play with a helmet I'm awful my question is are helmets compulsory?

sideshowtim

Banned
When I play in my backyard with my brothers or when I play in P.E lessons with my mates I'm a pretty decent batter. But when I play with a helmet I'm awful my question is are helmets compulsory?
Depends where you play. I know my local cricket association has made helmets compulsary in junior cricket. This may vary from place to place. They are most certainly not compulsary in International and State cricket though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Helmets aren't compulsory. However, it is advisable to wear them when fielding close in or batting against the faster bowlers to avoid serious injury.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You need to get used to them, because you'll need them if you hope to play a high standard of cricket.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Could it not just be you're facing better bowlers when you're wearing a helmet?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think there is some ECB regulation that under 16s (maybe 18s) have to wear helmets when playing with a hard ball. I'm sure Pickup will know.

iamdavid

International Debutant
They're compulsory in junior cricket here in Canberra and I suspect its the same around Australia.
And unless you're Viv Richards you should probably get used to them.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When the law about having to wear helmets came in to the UK for players under a certain age there was the inclusion of a provision that allowed players to bat without one if a parent signed a set form. Not sure if it still the same.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
You need to get used to them, because you'll need them if you hope to play a high standard of cricket.
Yep. That's exactly right. A guy I'm playing with at the moment got hit in the face with a bouncer playing B1 subdistricts here in Brisbane. Shattered his nose and bone went into artery. Lengthy stay in hospital and three bags of blood later he now wears a helmet.

As for the idea of them being compulsory I've never heard of it being enforced. I'm coaching a team at the moment and while the paperwork says it's strongly recommended I certainly don't tell the kids they need to wear one.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
When the law about having to wear helmets came in to the UK for players under a certain age there was the inclusion of a provision that allowed players to bat without one if a parent signed a set form. Not sure if it still the same.
No its compulsary now, changed last year

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In England, all players under the age of 18 must wear a helmet when batting or wicket keeping standing up to the stumps during a senior cricket match.

The only exceptions to this rule may occur in junior age group cricket, and even then written parental consent must be provided. Many leagues and clubs will not even accept this and require all juniors to wear lids.

howardj

International Coach
I find that, in suburban cricket that most of us play, the pitches are so slow that you're actually very little chance of being hit in the head. That's why I haven't ever really worn a helmet, even though I'm an opener.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but that doesn't rule out an edge into your jaw, does it?
Yeah, I dont wear one unless someone is pretty quick, or more likely Im going to be taking on the spinners.

Ive no issue with kids being made to wear them, as I think the legal side is more important than the technical issues it will cause. 18 is a bit strict. Make it 16 IMO

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I wouldn't ever consider not wearing a helmet tbh, even when netting. I've always worn one and I just feel really unsafe not wearing one. Got a nice titanium one so it's pretty light and fits well so it doesn't bother me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had never worn a helmet in my life, despite facing one or two pretty sharp bowlers on some less-than-ideal pitches, up to the 1999 season. And indeed had only seen 1 batsman wearing such a thing in that time, said batsman receiving considerable mocking from my team-mates.

The following season (and the one after, and the one after), no-one on my side or any opposing one ever walked out to bat without one. These days, it's very rare to see anyone under the age of 24-25 batting without one, and you also see plenty of those above said age wearing. In this country, at least - not sure of the situation elsewhere.

Batting without a helmet simply isn't a terribly sensible thing to do. If you're good enough that the bowling doesn't threaten you - you're getting into bad habits. If you're not - your life is at risk. And that's no hyperbole.