• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are helmets compulsory?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only really started wearing one this season, had to in my last season of junior cricket when they brought the rule in but this is the first time in 7 years of seniors i've worn one every game. Has taken a bit of getting adjusted to it...

DCC_legend

International Regular
Very few cricketers in my club wear lids tbh. Maybe only the guys under 14/15 but I've never worn one when playing club cricket. However, when playing for my school it's compulsory to wear a helmet when under 18.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very few cricketers in my club wear lids tbh. Maybe only the guys under 14/15 but I've never worn one when playing club cricket. However, when playing for my school it's compulsory to wear a helmet when under 18.
Don't wear them unless facing someone quick and given I've not played grade cricket for years, don't envisage I'd need one. I've always thought it more important to trust one's ability to get out of the way than worry about actually getting hit.

bond21

Banned
oh its the same story..

"ugh ive never been hit in the helmet i dont need one"

then before you know it, you get hit and youre in hospital.

Even lower grade cricketers can get some speed, ive seen it and they can sure as hell get a ball head high, and just because theyre lower grade, doesnt mean theyre not quick.

I started wearing a helmet very early, i dont remember exactly but probably around U11 or U12.

You dont need one before then, only way you can get hit in the head is if you hit it yourself with the bat.

But of course a helmet will feel strange the first time you wear it, but wear it every time you bat in the nets and in a match to make it feel natural.

Even if I have throwdowns, I always wear a helmet just so its familiar territory and incase I get a wild short one.

Also if youre a compulsive hooker and dont wear a helmet, youre basically asking for it. You dont have time to think that you dont have a helmet on, you will instinctively play the shot and youre in trouble.

So its not compulsory for adults, but you would have to be stupid not to wear one.

pup11

International Coach
When I play in my backyard with my brothers or when I play in P.E lessons with my mates I'm a pretty decent batter. But when I play with a helmet I'm awful my question is are helmets compulsory?
I know what you are talking about, i also don't find it very comfortable playing with a helmet on, but its important you get used to it if you wish to play cricket on a serious level, its not compulsory, but believe me you don't want to face a quickie without a helmet, it just fires them on and there are many ****** bowlers who wouldn't mind bowling a beamer to crack your skull, its almost like showing red cloth to a bull, so as our friend KiWiNiNiNjA said use protection while goin in, prevention is always better than cure!

bond21

Banned
i doubt thats true, but if someone intentionally bowls a beamer thats just wrong on so many levels.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
oh its the same story..

"ugh ive never been hit in the helmet i dont need one"

then before you know it, you get hit and youre in hospital.

Even lower grade cricketers can get some speed, ive seen it and they can sure as hell get a ball head high, and just because theyre lower grade, doesnt mean theyre not quick.

I started wearing a helmet very early, i dont remember exactly but probably around U11 or U12.

You dont need one before then, only way you can get hit in the head is if you hit it yourself with the bat.

But of course a helmet will feel strange the first time you wear it, but wear it every time you bat in the nets and in a match to make it feel natural.

Even if I have throwdowns, I always wear a helmet just so its familiar territory and incase I get a wild short one.

Also if youre a compulsive hooker and dont wear a helmet, youre basically asking for it. You dont have time to think that you dont have a helmet on, you will instinctively play the shot and youre in trouble.

So its not compulsory for adults, but you would have to be stupid not to wear one.
Agree with this.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I dont know if anyone else feels the same, but theres something about helmets that makes me feel enclosed and distant from whats going on. I wore a helmet up until about 19 being a bowler and my top score being about 10, since ive got rid of it im averaging above 30 and bat 3 and I dont think its a coincidence. I think it sharpens you up, makes you feel as though theres more on the line than your wicket. Im not saying its clever not to wear one, but I dont think I could play to the standard I do with one on, I have tried it now and again recently and its just not the same. I guess lifes full of risks and this is a pretty small one compared to other things.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Would support Alex's point on the opening page: there shouldn't really be much difference in your batting whether wearing a helmet or not (unless you're going to try to pull really quick bowlers). Playing softball cricket in PE is pretty easy for anyone with an eye for the ball, cricketer or non-cricketer, whereas the standard in proper nets is going to be lots higher.

Wear one. If only because at the age of 15 and below the number of head height beamers you'll get is pretty high. I'll always wear a helmet for the rest of my life, probably even against the spinners. Not worth the risk of a top edge.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They're compulsory in junior cricket here in Canberra and I suspect its the same around Australia.
And unless you're Viv Richards you should probably get used to them.
It's not compulsory in country areas in Queensland to wear a helmet.

Dire, but tbh I have blocked full tosses or bounces at my head on occasions where I would have tried to pull if I had a helmet on.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Bowled a ball on a length about 2 yrs ago, batsman top-edged into his forehead and created a monstrous mess. Shows how easy it is to smash your face up.

I of course got blamed, and thus peppered with throat balls when I came into bat and threatened physically too. I was quite grateful to have a helmet at that stage....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowled a ball on a length about 2 yrs ago, batsman top-edged into his forehead and created a monstrous mess. Shows how easy it is to smash your face up.

I of course got blamed, and thus peppered with throat balls when I came into bat and threatened physically too. I was quite grateful to have a helmet at that stage....
FFS, cretins.

PY

International Coach
Haha, it was a quaint village location too, with a gorgeous vista and cute pavilion. Would never of thought it would have been a hunting ground for some cricketing thugs.

I took 3/15 that day so was pretty happy with the outcome i.e. no broken bones and 3 wickets. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had always thought you were a wicketkeeper TBH.

BTW, any plans for the impending big 10,000?