• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The psychology of cricket

cover drive man

International Captain
Origionally posted this in the coaching forum but I thought it'd do better here.

From my experience I've found that the best way to go into a game of cricket is to remember that at the end of the day no matter how important the match is you should always remember "Why did I play cricket in the first place? Because it's fun" You see if you're not having fun it always affects your performance. Joining a team is always a important aspect of your cricketing "Career" Try to make sure you get along with the team you're playing with. The team needs to help each other and if they don't then there not a team. I always found it good to ask a few friends to come and join the team. You have to have a friendly atmosphere at you're club. I've heard a lot of people say "But then it's not serious enough" But why can't it be. I remember my old football team we were all very good mates but we were also very serious. So preparing for a game remember it's a game but I still want to win and I'll try my hardest. Any questions feel free to just ask.

Woodster

International Captain
I agree that it certainly does no harm to have a 'matey' kind of atmosphere at your club, and it is this bond that can get a team through in tight situations as nobody wants to let their team/friends down. Selfish personalities in the side can obviously cause unrest.

We are a close unit where I play, and when we were promoted a couple of seasons back, there were a few occasions when that togetherness on the field played a huge part in scraping through the close games.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Agree with what you've said, CDM. Any sporting team, whether it's Cricket, Rugby, Football, AFL etc. needs a good bond. I've noticed that teams around my area don't bond like other teams on the international or even the local stage. This, in my opinion, is why it's difficult for these teams to be successful on a regular basis.

For the team to be successful it's as much about the players as it is the coach. I think if the players don't agree with the coaching then this can cause rifts in any side and eventually lead to a degradation of performances on the pitch. I think this can be seen most in football. Even a constant change of coach can lead to indifferent performance within a side. Every coach has a different 'regime' and it takes time for the players to get used to the different parts of the coaching that they may not have experienced before, under a different coach.

Also, what you've said about team friendships is an integral part of any team. At my Cricket Club there's a few friendships within the 3rds and 2nds which, on a good day, will make them unbeatable within their respective leagues. However, if the team is chopped and changed every so often (which is something England suffers from and also my Cricket Club) it can upset the balance of a side. At my Club, we find it difficult to find the same, winning, Xi every week. This is mostly due to other outside commitments and is no fault of the players or the selectors.

Another point i feel that may enhance or degrade the performances on a pitch is that the best XI is not necessarily the XI that is going to win you all the matches. It's a case of finding the XI that fits and works together as a team to, not always easily, win the games. Eventually the weaker cricketers in the side will learn from their mistakes, gain experience at that level and become good cricketers with a good team spirit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's tough to do that at the higher levels, especially when you are culturally and linguistically isolated from others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any team where there are rifts and divisive influences will almost always see players perform below the levels they are capable of.

Hence so many underperforming Pakistanis (and at various times, West Indians).

How India, with the amount of multiculture that exists in that country, has ever managed to form a cohesive national team is nothing short of remarkable.

andmark

International Captain
Yeah, me and a teammate we have fake fights during the week (all in good spirit) but when Cricket is on we basically wouldn't imagine it. So I've noticed there's a psychology in Cricket.

howardj

International Coach
Origionally posted this in the coaching forum but I thought it'd do better here.

From my experience I've found that the best way to go into a game of cricket is to remember that at the end of the day no matter how important the match is you should always remember "Why did I play cricket in the first place? Because it's fun" You see if you're not having fun it always affects your performance. Joining a team is always a important aspect of your cricketing "Career" Try to make sure you get along with the team you're playing with. The team needs to help each other and if they don't then there not a team. I always found it good to ask a few friends to come and join the team. You have to have a friendly atmosphere at you're club. I've heard a lot of people say "But then it's not serious enough" But why can't it be. I remember my old football team we were all very good mates but we were also very serious. So preparing for a game remember it's a game but I still want to win and I'll try my hardest. Any questions feel free to just ask.
Yeah, I don't necessarily think you have to get your mates and then go play together. I think, in my experience, it works the other way. You start playing with a bunch of guys, and team spirit just builds through the common desire of wanting to win and your collective enjoyment of the game. I can honestly say I have never truly disliked a teammate. Cricketers generally are thoughtful, decent people.

You don't have to be great mates to have a great team spirit. For instance, with the team I've been playing in this season when I get the time, I can honestly say that I'm not friends with any of them - and have no desire to hang out with them outside of cricket. But, there's still a bond there and a great on-field feeling because of our competitiveness and collective will to win...all aiming for a common thing etc.