• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest batting/bowling styles in the world.

cover drive man

International Captain
Love Malinga when he gets going. Kumble bowls a lot like andmark style-wise. Warne was great when he played. Loved it one time in the 2005 tour of Pakistan when Flintoff bowled with just one arm for one bowl. Flintoff although he isn't very technical still has a decent action. Enjoyed Trescothick's attention to detail. Also admire Hayden at his best and he starts basically bullying the ball. Gilchrist was brilliant style-wise as well.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
If you are talking only about the action.........

Spin - Bedi
Pace - Michael Holding
Batting - David Gower

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Spin: Monty Panesar
Pace: Dale Steyn
Batting: Mike Hussey and Kumar Sangakkara

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is this question basically asking who you enjoy watching? Its interesting because I wouldn't say that Shoaib Akhtar has the 'best' bowling style in the world, but he'd be the one bowler I'd choose to watch over any when in full flight.

I'm going to assume you're talking simply about action/technique, and hence:

Spin: Warne and Sehwag (no idea why, but I reckon he's got a very attractive and simple bowling action, even if he is a part-timer)
Pace: Waqar and Steyn
Batting: Tendulkar and Sangakkara

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Excellent thread cdm. Was thinking that such a thread would be good when discussing a few batting styles with some one a couple of days back.

Batting - Sangakarra, Tendulkar and Azharuddin
Bowling - Warne

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Spin: Harbajan Singh, (really his action is really watch-able)
Seam: besides myself?:ph34r: Glenn Mcgrath Very fluid and very lethal...

masterblaster

International Captain
Batting: Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman
Fast Bowling: Wasim Akram and Alan Donald
Spin Bowling: Shane Warne and Anil Kumble

Laurrz

International Debutant
this is my favorites from what ive seen [not too much]

Batting - Gilchrist
Bowling [pace] - McGrath, Clark, Pollock
Bowling [spin] - Warne, Vettori

haroon510

International 12th Man
spin- warne, Murali
batting- Lara, Sachin, Inzi, Sangakara
Fast- asif, shoaib, Mcgrath, bret Lee, pollock, bond

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I thought Donalds action was a thing of beauty. The way he steamed in and his tall elegant delivery was awesome.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batting: Vettori, always enjoy it when he strides out, especially in a run chase. No idea where the ball will go but you know he'll invent a new shot each time.

cover drive man

International Captain
Is this question basically asking who you enjoy watching? Its interesting because I wouldn't say that Shoaib Akhtar has the 'best' bowling style in the world, but he'd be the one bowler I'd choose to watch over any when in full flight.

I'm going to assume you're talking simply about action/technique, and hence:

Spin: Warne and Sehwag (no idea why, but I reckon he's got a very attractive and simple bowling action, even if he is a part-timer)
Pace: Waqar and Steyn
Batting: Tendulkar and Sangakkara
Yes, it's about who has the best style/technique.

sportsnob

Cricket Spectator
Batting:

Lofted Drive - Chris Cairns

Pull- Ricky Ponting

Cut- Adam Gilchrist

Cover Drive and Drive straight down the ground- Sachin Tendulkar

Overall- Tendulkar, Laxman, Michael Slater and Mark Waugh!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you are talking only about the action.........

Spin - Bedi
Pace - Michael Holding
Batting - David Gower
Yeah agree with all of this very much.

A few others I like almost as much...

Spin: MSP, Harbhajan Singh (yeah, Sikhs and fingerspin do go together so well, don't they :ph34r:), Murali, Vettori.

Seam: Allan Donald, Dominic Cork, Richard Hadlee, Chaminda Vaas, Dennis Lillee, Mark Gillespie, Waqar Younis, Andy Caddick, *Heath Davis, look away now* Geoff Allott, Wesley Winfield Hall.

Batting: Aravinda de Silva, Mark Waugh, VVS Laxman, Nasser Hussain, Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis, Kumar Sangakkara, Murray Goodwin, Saeed Anwar, Stephen Fleming, Richie Richardson. And many more besides...

iamdavid

International Debutant
Of Batsman over the last decade or so Lara, Tendulkar, Vaughan, Mark Waugh, Laxman and Trescothick are the ones I've found easiest on the eye.

Loved the simplicity of Warne's action and the mechanics of his bowling, same can be said for McGrath. Remarkable that two bowlers who achieved so much in the game had such simple methods.

Shoaib Akhtar always made me excitied when he bowled but not because he had a beautiful action or anything, more because of the adrenaline in his bowling.
Think Brett Lee has a wonderful action to watch and a great one for any young kid to try copy.
I always really enjoyed watching Damien Fleming bowl aswell.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not really sure for batting. I really like it when Vaughn is on song for his stroke-play and his seemingly effortless brilliance. A cover drive of grace. Then again I really like innings of the Richards/Gilchrist/Hayden type. Brute power choking the bowler.

In bowling, it is much easier for me. Dennis Lillee for pace and Warne for spin. Lillee has the model action for a fast bowler. It just looks so perfect and clean. Warne, kinda like that too. So graceful and beautiful yet simple. He'd take his time and you could see why. He didn't just bowl a ball, he was creating art.

Chubb

International Regular
Shivnarine Chanderpaul's batting style fascinates me. I like individuality. I don't think it is particularly ugly a some people say, beauty's in the eye of the beholder. It has a kind of grace, the shuffle across, the footwork, the bat coming down all in one fluid movement, making breaking all the rules of batting look effortless.

More traditional batsmen; Fleming, Vaughan in 2002-03 (looks a little different now, probably because of the injuries), Andy Flower, Murray Goodwin (who played the best innings I've ever seen in the flesh), Kumar Sangakkara.

Last edited: