Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Cricket League and Indian premier league

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar

Indian Cricket League and Indian premier league

Can anyone tell me what is the best one and who has the better players. Can anyone just give me some info on both.

Indian premier league looks better but some players are not involved in the first year

And how does this effect the twenty20 champions league

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Basically, IPL is the approved version with all the major international starts available and ready to play in it.. It is the one which will affect the Champions Trophy Twenty20 league.

ICL is being treated as a rebel league and is mainly just a collection of a lot of retired, semi retired, or not able to make the national side, international cricketers and the similar kind of domestic cricketers who know there isn't much of a chance to make it for their national sides. People signing up with the ICL are being banned from all national domestic competitions apart from becoming ineligible for selection for their national sides.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    h.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    People signing up with the ICL are being banned from all national domestic competitions apart from becoming ineligible for selection for their national sides.
    The English guys, Solanki, Read etc will be playing County Cricket this season, will they not?

I dont think they are banned from domestic comps.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

I hope that Solanki is not banned from playing for Worcester

I read about the PCb stance nd i do think that it is unfair

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The English guys, Solanki, Read etc will be playing County Cricket this season, will they not?

Depends on the ruling of each board I suppose. I know CA has banned any player joining the ICL from playing domestic cricket in Australia.

Not fair all the same

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    England are allowing English players to still play in the county comp, but no overseas players that played in ICL, unless they are allowed to by their home board. Biggest joke ever, double standards to the max IMO.

West Indies allow their players to play in the domestic comp as well. Ireland are pushing for their players to play internationally. Basically it is just depends on the country and their own stance.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

For some time, it seems, the Lankan board chief actually supported the ICL, possibly because he was miffed that IPL was mre a consortium of India, Australia, SA and NZ and no others.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    For some time, it seems, the Lankan board chief actually supported the ICL, possibly because he was miffed that IPL was mre a consortium of India, Australia, SA and NZ and no others.
    Gunawardene has been banned from domestic and international cricket in Sri Lanka for signing with the ICL. So I doubt they support the ICL.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    h.
    The full-stop totally lets you down.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

I don't think they are coming back to the ICL either... Maybe that's why.. Not sure.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Ok with most of the names for the IPL at least provisionally announced I thought Id rank them in my own personal order of prefference.

Interested to see what others think.
    So in order of best to worst.

1. Chandigarh Lions - You cant go wrong with lions. Just means business
    2. Rajasthan Royals - Fits well and sounds good
    3. Kolkata Tigers - In the same vein as Lions. Gives it a sence of controlled agression
    4. Lahore Badshahs - Dont know what it means but sounds ok and it reads as 'Bad Asses' in my mind
    5. Ahmedabad Rockets - Sounds ok and has positive connotations and visions of things being launch into the sky as the ball is in T20
    6. Chennai Superstars- A little generic but you have to like the bravado
    7. Delhi Giants- Again quite generic but a decent name that have a good pedigree across sports around the World
    8. Chennai Super Kings- Apart from being a cig brand, it sound like a Japanese 'Engrish' phrase that doesnt really fit together well.
    9. Delhi Daredevils- I dont like it but I could see how others would. Just doesnt do anything for me.
    10. Mumbai Indians- Not a bad name if they were playing Internationally but the other teams will be based in India also and the Mumbai team will have foreign players. I dont get it.
    11. Hyderabad Heroes - Sound like a cheap make of imported toys
    12. Mumbai Champs - See Hyderabad Heroes
    13. Bangalore Royal Challengers - Sounds ok but seems to lack ambition
    14. Kolkata Knight Riders - A name based on an 80s TV show and the name conjures nothing to do with cricket.

Ungraded
    IPL Hyderabad
    IPL Mohali

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Badshah = King. And as for the Knight Riders - it might not conjure 80s TV show to us, but to the target audience - I doubt they ever heard of it. I think the worst name is probably Mumbai Indians, and Chennai Super Kings, personally.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 11-03-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Janus's Avatar

4. Lahore Badshahs - Dont know what it means but sounds ok and it reads as 'Bad Asses' in my mind
    I wasn't all that interesting in this years ICL until I saw that team and the name. Sounds ferocious and if you look at the list of players I'd have to say they look the strongest.

As far as the names in general go, some of them are absolutely terrible. Mumbai Champs, Chennai Superstars, Chennai Super Kings being the worst of the lot. Having said that I'm a bit of a Dhoni Fan so I'll be Backing the Super Kings no matter how bad the name is and how bad they make the kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information